Miles Davis kind of blue, the best jazz album ever if you ask me.
What do you all think of it?
I think it's high time people start talking about other albums on this board. Yes Kind of Blue is a great, timeless album, but it's not the only jazz album ever made.

Seriously, sometimes I think this board is only blues, "How do I play jazz?", and "kinda blue lol".
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
Well it's the most famous jazz album for sure. Even people who never listen to jazz will probably recognize some of the tunes because they've been used in so many movies, ads, documentaries, etc.

My personal favorite jazz album ever is The black saint and the sinner lady by Charles Mingus and there are a few others i'd rate higher than Kind of blue. But it is an incredible album with a legendary lineup that every music enthousiast should be familiar with.
It's a great album that is certainly the most well known and one of the first modal jazz albums ever, however, in the grand scheme of jazz, I don't think it's that special.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
My personal favorite Miles Davis is "The man with the horn". I think his playing is far more free, if more spartan, than on "Kind of Blue". If anybody asked me how to play jazz though, I'd give them a double album, one CD of Django, one CD of the Bird.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
It's real good, but I prefer "Smoking at the Half Note" over Kind of Blue, but the lineup on "Kind of Blue" is absolutely amazing, Miles, Coltrane, and Cannonball on horns, you got Bill Evans, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb, how can you get any better except maybe Art Blakey on drums.
It's a great record, I really enjoy it.

However, as to wether or not it is the best Jazz album ever, I will disagree. But I will not provide what I think is the best, because that is far to lofty of a term to place on any one album.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
it's an awesome album, one of the best, everytime i listen to blues in green, i feel my bones melting
Quote by TheChoristers
Kind of Blue is so excellent for 1 hugely overlooked reason: Bill Evans.

Since when? I know a lot of people who like that album solely for that reason, everyone acknowledges Bill Evans as playing a vital role in the development of "Kind of Blue".
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
VR2005, i concur. Evans' playing is respected by those who care about jazz (pianists esp.), but he never gets mentioned on these boards, especially in regards to Kind Of Blue.
Quote by TheChoristers
VR2005, i concur. Evans' playing is respected by those who care about jazz (pianists esp.), but he never gets mentioned on these boards, especially in regards to Kind Of Blue.

i've always hated the fact they only count the soloist of the band, evans is a big part of kind of blue
Quote by The National D
If anybody asked me how to play jazz though, I'd give them a double album, one CD of Django, one CD of the Bird.

well put, the bird is probably in the top 3 of my favorite jazzers
Quote by TheChoristers

Yeah, inside this forum there is only a small jazz community but in the real jazz community Evans is god. I've yet to come upon a more lyrical pianist and what a greater comper too. All the stuff I've heard from Bill Evans I've loved, especially his trio stuff. Live at the Vanguard for the world.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by TheChoristers
Kind of Blue is so excellent for 1 hugely overlooked reason: Bill Evans.

AMEN

AMEN

I'm sure most of you who are familiar with The Real Book (or any lead sheet of Blue In Green) have noticed that Miles is credited with writing it. I don't know for sure, but there's no way Miles wrote that tune. That's all Bill baby.

I have many favorite jazz albums I change it constantly, however, right now I've been listening to Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else" and Wayne Shorter's "Juju"

mmm mmm good.
If everyone liked what I did, I probably wouldn't be playing anything of depth.

—Joshua Redman
Last edited by RhoadsSRV8290 at Jan 20, 2007,
I fall asleep to it everynight.

Flamenco Sketches and So What, are excellent. I love listening to the piano mime 'So What'.
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.
I'm pretty stoned and I'm listening to Blue In Green, and I think this is one of the best experiences you can have. Damn I love this piece, does anyone listen to Bill Evans? Does he write other stuff like this?
Check out his album with Stan Getz "But Beautiful".

It's beautiful.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Excellent. Cheers! I have it on download at the moment, though of course I'll actually buy it at a later date.
Quote by dr. tchocky
Excellent. Cheers! I have it on download at the moment, though of course I'll actually buy it at a later date.

... Of course.

Click.