I am mainly into blues, and blues inspired music like classic rock etc. I also like some new artists sounds like john mayer and jack white. I am wondering (considering I already have a fuzz pedal) what type of overdrive pedal I need. Should I go high gain (my choice would be the bluesbreaker II) or low gain (Boss OD-3)? I want to have versatility, but still be able to get bb king, srv, and hendrix type tones. Thanks.
Well id reccomend a tube screamer, can get low-> high gain sounds. What amp do you have?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah remeber a tube amp will be more important for a blues sound thant any pedal. Well as i said i think an Maxon OD9 or an Ibanez TS808 or TS9 is the way to go, theyre favoured by alot of blues guitarsist (along myself) and can go anywhere from "a bit dirtier than clean" all the way crunch.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Yeah remeber a tube amp will be more important for a blues sound thant any pedal. Well as i said i think an Maxon OD9 or an Ibanez TS808 or TS9 is the way to go, theyre favoured by alot of blues guitarsist (along myself) and can go anywhere from "a bit dirtier than clean" all the way crunch.

+1 TS's are the standard for OD pedals. Very tube-like and warm.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Quote by afroboy
I am wondering (considering I already have a fuzz pedal)

Well he does already have a fuzz!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

The Tubescreamers are middy as hell though, which could be a good or a bad thing, depending on your taste.

The fact that I haven't sold my TS9 yet says enough about my opinion.
Personally you could save some money and pick up a Bad Monkey, a great bluesy pedal with separate bass and treble control. Really, it's a good pedal overall, a great one considering price.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
The guv'nor from marshall has a sweeeeet tone man check it out on musicians friend they have samples. It really gets the crunch....
Blues Driver, try a few ODs out though, it's all taste.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
How about we eliminate the Tubescreamers? I almost don't even want one now because they are so expensive, and everyone is pushing it down my throat. I've tried both, and I didn't shit my pants or anything. Pedal suggestions are cool, but I mainly need to know if a low gain or high gain pedal will better suit my needs. Thanks.