ok, so i really wanna get a les paul, i currently have a fender stratocaster (the best guitar ever) but its getting prwtty old and beat up. so i wanna know what people think about epiphone les pauls compared to gibsons. i'm not financially ready to buy a thousand dollar gibson but so is a epiphone pretty good too?
You get some very nice Epiphone Les Pauls, I would suggest the LP Custom. It's definitely one of the nicer looking ones and it will be a great contrast to the sound of your Strat.
The epis can be really good if you go for the LP Studio or higher (LP-100 aint too bad for a cheap one but doesn't quite have the sound and don't even consider a Special II). Also, make sure you play the exact guitar you're going to buy befor you get it. That's the thing with guitars off the production line as opposed to hand assembled, one can be perfect, the next a shocker.

Also, be ready to switch up the pickups if you're fussy about tone.
hmm...depends what level ur working at. I wouldnt use one live with stock pickups, but put seymour duncans or similar in and it should be fine. Also the build quality varies alot. The gibson will last forever with good matinence but the Epiphones arent so sturdy. Its all relative though. What are u trying to play, and is this a guitar for the long term or not.
Bottom line: You get what you pay for with an Epiphone Les Paul, you do NOT with a Gibson. For the massive jump in price you would expect an instrument which is earth shatteringly good. I have a Epiphone Les Paul and my mate has a Gibson and to be honest I far prefer the sound and feel of my Epiphone. Don't get me wrong, Gibsons are awesome but there is no way I would pay one and a half grand for a guitar which is slightly better than one you can get for less than a third of the price. In fact, I reckon we should boycott Gibson Les Pauls until the greedy bastards drop the price!
Zed: Bring out the Gimp.
Maynard: But the Gimp's sleeping.
Zed: Well, I guess you better go and wake him up then...
ok for a start...why is ure strat getting old and beat up? How old is it? Tbh a fender strat should last for a HELL of a long time if u look after it right, are u sure u've been maintaining it properly?
I find that epiphone instruments on a whole a pretty bad. For the same price, you can get much better guitars from mostly any brand. Epiphone, while is a great marketting scheme for gibson, a terrible buy for a guitar. The pickups and the necks are abismal. If you want a lespaul shape under 800 dollars, go for an ESP EC series, the most expensive one you can buy. Or buy a used real Gibson on ebay. But in my personal opinion, epiphones feel like toy guitars.
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
Quote by Maverick49
Bottom line: You get what you pay for with an Epiphone Les Paul, you do NOT with a Gibson. For the massive jump in price you would expect an instrument which is earth shatteringly good. I have a Epiphone Les Paul and my mate has a Gibson and to be honest I far prefer the sound and feel of my Epiphone. Don't get me wrong, Gibsons are awesome but there is no way I would pay one and a half grand for a guitar which is slightly better than one you can get for less than a third of the price. In fact, I reckon we should boycott Gibson Les Pauls until the greedy bastards drop the price!

Its funny when I read these kind of threads. A Gibson and Epiphone are in two completely different catagories when your talking about Les Paul Standards, Customs, etc. Gibsons are professional instuments made from the best woods, are HAND CRAFTED and have superior electronics. Epi's are a decent knock off of the original. Made from cheaper woods, electronics and assembly in Korea. Now you may say that you saw a Gibson and it some color run in the finish or some other minor flaw and that your Epiphone is perfect, but thats what great about having an instrument thats hand made.
How much would you expect to pay for a hand crafted in the USA guitar?
I think they're worth every penny.
Gibson Les Paul= Professional
Epiphone Les Paul = Nice starter guitar (save up for the real thing)=
buy what you can afford . gibson lp's are a much better guitar, (tone wise). but one con is that they are quite heavy.
I like the LP Customs. they have a reasonable sound off the shelf, but you need to realize that it wont feel anything like your strat. I've played tons of them, and the neck is the only complaint I have. It's a preference sort of thing, but I feel like the neck is too fat for me. I love the feel of my strat's neck.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I didn't have friends that allow me to borrow theirs when I need to. It helps us all keep the cost of owning various guitars to a minimum. I would change the both pups to Burstbucker pros, but that's just me.
It's so crazy in here you're gonna wish it wasn't so crazy in here!

1995 PRS CE
Fender 50s Classic Player strat
Johnson Millenium 150
Boss GT-6
Quote by demea
Its funny when I read these kind of threads. A Gibson and Epiphone are in two completely different catagories when your talking about Les Paul Standards, Customs, etc. Gibsons are professional instuments made from the best woods, are HAND CRAFTED and have superior electronics. Epi's are a decent knock off of the original. Made from cheaper woods, electronics and assembly in Korea. Now you may say that you saw a Gibson and it some color run in the finish or some other minor flaw and that your Epiphone is perfect, but thats what great about having an instrument thats hand made.
How much would you expect to pay for a hand crafted in the USA guitar?
I think they're worth every penny.
Gibson Les Paul= Professional
Epiphone Les Paul = Nice starter guitar (save up for the real thing)=

Worth every penny? For the money they're asking for one Gibson Les Paul, you could buy a top of the range Epiphone, a quality amp and probably have enough left over to buy a whole rack of pedals. Yeah I'm sure its worth every penny...
Zed: Bring out the Gimp.
Maynard: But the Gimp's sleeping.
Zed: Well, I guess you better go and wake him up then...
So how much do you think they're worth new when a POS strat is 1000 new?
Threadstarter, don't listen to these guys hating on epiphone, they've probably never played or owned one, or if they had it was just a dud (no offense to anyone with a legitamite opinion of course )

We need to know:

How much money you can spend, what amp you have, and what style you play.

And what is wrong with your strat that makes you think you need a new guitar?
Is it no longer functioning?

If you do go for an epi, make sure to get one of them that isn't made from a alder/mahogany sandwhich (ones made of all mahogany include the plain top standard, or ones made before 2000),

the alder sandwhich ones have very poor tone and sustain (and also feel very cheap) they are lighter but:

It always pisses me off when people complain about les pauls being heavy, guitarists must be a scrawny bunch, when I play a light guitar, it feels cheap to me.

Personally, if you can't afford a Gibson, epi's are a fine substitute. They will not be the same, but the difference is quite minimal, especially if you try out as many as possible and find the nicest one.

The only big noticable difference (to most people anyway) would be the pickups, and the lack of fretboard binding. Pickups can always be changed, even though most people will be perfectly happy with the stock ones. And fretboard binding, meh, if it's set up niceley you won't notice a difference.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
If you say your strat is the best guitar ever, then buy another one! Maybe one made in the good ol USA.
Epiphone's are awesome guitars. I'd get an Epi custom or Elitest - they're arguably the best Epi's around, although standard's are good too. If you don't have too good an amp the Gibson will not sound good. You're best off buying the Epi then buying a good valve amp or something with the rest of the money.
okay, so basically my fender was used twice before me and has bad sound coming from the input, i've had it fixed several times but it still not sounding right. it had several dents when i first got it and those i dont mind but however its having problems with the trem also. I dont need a new guitar but of course who doesn't want one every couple of years right?
i'm thinking about $500 dollars here in answer to people asking about the price. i thought about looking for another fender but mine isn't in that bad of shape to buy another one. I just kinda wanna use my strat as a backup. also i play all sorts of music: alternative rock, blues, jazz, latin, metal, punk, and techno.
why has no one suggest Tokai?

there one of the reasons Gibson bought Epiphone and started to make LP copies. Tokai's are much better than any Epi ive played. and are damn close to Gibsons.. dont let anyone give you hell just because you have a different name on the headstock.

in closing

Tokai > Epiphone
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
the epi LPs are great guitars.
not the shitty Les Paul Specials.
the standards, classics, ultras, and especially the customs are great and comparable to gibsons with a pickup change.
****, with a pickup change, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference without looking at the headstock.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules