I spent almost all of my money to get a really nice amp, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL half stack. So now i'm left with almost no cash left to get a guitar with, i was told to get a nice amp first. So i was wondering if you guys had any ideas for any guitars that would be good for around 300 US dollars. I was looking at the Ibanez RG2EX1 but i had never seen it before. I play metal and occasionally help my friends grindcore band. I had been borrowing a guitar for a few years but now he needs that back. any help would be awesome.
Depends what you want to use it for.

If you don't use a whammy bar, look at an Ibanez RG321.

Decent beginner guitar, stable tuning, no worries
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
So you don't have a guitar at all at the moment?

If you do have another guitar, save up a bit more.
does it have a wizard neck? if so go for it, and your amp should make up for the low quality, if applicable of you guitar.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Well, look at it this way. A squier will sound decent through a good amp, but a 58 Les Paul will sound like a$$ through a lousy amp.
I have a guitar for about another week......and then i have to buy books for college, so i have 300 available. it has a Wizard II neck and a fixed bridge because i have no use for a whammy bar.
Then the Ibanez is for you, man You can just switch the pickups out later if you want with some Seymour Duncans or EMGs or something to enhance the tone, since it's already made from mahogany.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you have no guitar yet, why did you spend so much to get a DSL half stack? For that money, you could have gotten a pretty decent combo amp and a nice guitar. Makes no sense why you did that. Now you have to wait around for the guitar wasting time that you could be learning to play instead of trying to look like a star with an amp that is waaaay too much for a beginner. You young guys are more wrapped up in looking like a rock star than spending the time to actually perform like one. This should be posted in the dumbest advice i've ever been given thread. "I was told it's best to get a good amp first"?????? What the F@&k are you going to do with a good amp and no guitar? That's like buying a set of 24" spinners for a car you don't know that you're going to get when you're 10!!!
he did that because people around here go and talk shit about how crappy the MG series is etc.

People also keep giving the advice which is to go out and get a sweet amp and get the guitar/upgrade guitar later. All he really did was take the majority's advice and do just that.

Personally, I didn't give any advice. Look on the brightside, you have a sweet amp ha ha.
Ibanez RGA 121 PAF Pro/Evolution 2
Blackheart Little Giant
EH Nano Metal Muff
Quote by CBROENNER
Now you have to wait around for the guitar wasting time that you could be learning to play instead of trying to look like a star with an amp that is waaaay too much for a beginner.

I play metal and occasionally help my friends grindcore band. I had been borrowing a guitar for a few years but now he needs that back.

Maybe he isn't a beginner. And if he is, whats wrong with having a good amp? Is there a level you need to reach before you can buy good gear? And he said he has $300 for the guitar, so he doesn't need to wait.
we normally say to spend most of your money on an amp, but this is maybe taking things a bit far.

that being said, take a look at the ibanez rg321mh, yamaha pacificas (at least 112, preferably 412 if it's under budget), yamaha aes series (if under budget), and ibanez sz series (again, if under budget).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GOALIE
he did that because people around here go and talk shit about how crappy the MG series is etc.

People also keep giving the advice which is to go out and get a sweet amp and get the guitar/upgrade guitar later. All he really did was take the majority's advice and do just that.

Personally, I didn't give any advice. Look on the brightside, you have a sweet amp ha ha.

1st off, I've never seen anyone recommend a JCM2000 half stack as someones 1st amp. Especially, if the person doesn't even actually have a guitar. He probably took advice that he saw for someone else in a different situation, most likely someone who already had a guitar AND amp and was looking to upgrade from their old practice amp to something they could gig with.
I'm sorry, but a $2000+ half stack with a $300 guitar? Makes no sense to me. You could have gotten a $1000 kick ass 100 watt combo and have $1300 for a kick ass guitar. My point is he got a JCM2000 because he thinks that looks impressive on a stage, in his room, whatever, whereas you can spend 300 on a cheap guitar that looks good and has a name on it as well. If that was a good match, all the pros would play that. A good amp is essential, but a great guitar makes the biggest playing difference. Unless that is, you just bang on it and all you want out of it is loud distortion, then i guess you made a brilliant choice. There aren't many better noisemakers than a JCM2000.
Did anyone ACTUALLY read what he said,

he said for the past couple of years he borrowed someones guitar, now they want it back, so one would assume he has been playing for at least a couple years.

AND he also said he already helps out in his friends grindcore band...I would assume he can play at least semi-decent...
Quote by Hakanku
Did anyone ACTUALLY read what he said,

he said for the past couple of years he borrowed someones guitar, now they want it back, so one would assume he has been playing for at least a couple years.

Exactly... he doesn't have his own guitar.

AND he also said he already helps out in his friends grindcore band...I would assume he can play at least semi-decent...

And...

I've known plenty of people who played for X amount of years and were in a band, didn't mean they could actually play and be worth listening to.
Shut up bitching, if you don't like the fact that he has an amp thats more expensive then yours then stop trolling, go bug another thread.
A temporary guitar for about $300?
I agree with the people saying Ibanez. Better than a squier eh
You still sound like a whiney, prepubescent child, however.
Leave the guy alone.
Quote by NeptuneUK
sound like a whiney, prepubescent child

Quote by NeptuneUK
Shut up bitching, if you don't like the fact that he has an amp thats more expensive then yours then stop trolling, go bug another thread.

...I do?
I am a believer in having a great guitar and great amp. That being said, I have a SRV Strat and I have seen and heard people on way cheaper and worse guitars than mine sound way way better than me!

A good player can really make a guitar sing even if is a $300 ibanez. Which by the way is nice guitar.

A suggestion I would make since the threadstarter seems to feel he may be settling for a lesser guitar would be to pick up a second hand guitar in the local paper and check out some pawn shops. THere are a lot of people who spend money on nice guitars and quit playing.

I have seen some good deals on ebay but I am not a fan of buying a guitar that you cant touch and play and check out each and every fret and all pickups.
The agiles do infact get rave reviews from pretty much everyone!
Quote by CBROENNER
If you have no guitar yet, why did you spend so much to get a DSL half stack? For that money, you could have gotten a pretty decent combo amp and a nice guitar. Makes no sense why you did that. Now you have to wait around for the guitar wasting time that you could be learning to play instead of trying to look like a star with an amp that is waaaay too much for a beginner. You young guys are more wrapped up in looking like a rock star than spending the time to actually perform like one. This should be posted in the dumbest advice i've ever been given thread. "I was told it's best to get a good amp first"?????? What the F@&k are you going to do with a good amp and no guitar? That's like buying a set of 24" spinners for a car you don't know that you're going to get when you're 10!!!

Dude, you didn't even read the thread did you? The guy's been playing for a few years on a borrowed rig, he's already in a band and now he needs a new guitar and amp cos he had to give it back. The reason he didn't get a combo is because it sounds like he's playing metal gigs with his friends band, and if you've spent much time going to underground metal gigs you'll know that their consideration is mainly volume. A $300 dollar guitar plugged into a $1000 stack is pretty typical allocation of funds. I'm going to metalcore gigs every fri night at the moment, and I always wear ear plugs

Oh alright, if it will make you feel better U 0Wnd da n00b ok? Feel like you have a bigger **** now?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Wow. I don't know why anyone would go buy a DSL half stack as a first amp. That's insane. Seriously, as was said before, you could have bought yourself a decent tube combo that would be just as gig-worthy as that DSL, been more portable, AND still leave you with $1000 to buy a good guitar to pair with the amp.

But what's done is done.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
First off cosimo, if you know anything, a JCM2000 is not a $1000 rig. Try double that. Secondly he says he helps out, helps out occasionally in a grindcore? band. So he probably already has a rig he uses as well. Thirdly, he said he was told blah, blah, so this leads me to believe he doesn't have as much experience as you seem to give him credit. And lastly I don't claim to have a bigger wang than anybody, but I bet mine gets used way more than some dude who has his own house and needs a dude to move in with him so he can have a beat whenever he wants it. I'm not trying to rip the original poster to pieces, just don't post such insane topics without expecting to get some harsh response. I'm sorry, but if anyone is trying to make everyone believe he has a huge ####, the guy with a $2000 half stack with a $300 guitar would be that guy.

And Crunchmeister, it's nice to see another sensible person on this post.
threadstarter. i really dont care what ur first amp is. so ill pretend u said cube 30 and answer ur question as best i can.

if i had $300, and wanted humbuckers i would buy a schecter omen. it's basswood, the stock pickups sound pretty good and it's a fixed bridge, so u dont have to worry about low end trems.

good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
one......not my first amp, just an amp that gets enough volume to punch over the drums and the other guitarists rivera head.

two......I'm not saying i'm a great guitarist, but i can hold my own with the people that i play with and thats all that matters to me.

three.....this 300 dollar ibanez would (hopefully) be a temp guitar till i can get a nicer guitar, i was just hoping someone had played it and could let me know if it was a piece of shit and i should go for one of the others in range, or if it would be fine for a while.

I've had the amp for a few months and thought i would have use of that guitar longer then i did, thus making me be short of funds. If i didn't have to play shows then i wouldn't get it but i do so i'm hoping it will work.
Yeah I should have edited that, I do know what those heads are worth. I also mean no disrespect to your ****, I'm sure you get lots of compliments on it.

I'm still not convinced that playing a cheap guitar through a brilliant amp isn't a bad approach to metalcore. All they need is lots of gain on the amp, and a guitar with a couple of ok humbuckers or actives so they can bar the bottom three strings in drop A and slide it around for a while. Occasionally someone plays something really fast using the top two strings at about the 16th fret then it's back to sliding those bottom three around. How good does the guitar need to be?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I'd try the 321 before just ordering or picking it off the shelf and paying. When I stopped in a store to try out a few amps, there was a guy trying out one amp I was interested in. He was playing a 321, so I tried the amp with the 321. Alright guitar for the price, but the feel of the necks aren't consistent. The one the guy was playing had a few dead spots past the 12 fret. It's worth checking out. Stop in whatever music store is nearby. Just don't get suckered into a Squier or BC Rich.
i never played that exact $300 ibanez, but ive played several basswood and agathis ibanez in that price range.

i like the schecter pickups and neck feel better, but i would think that RG would be worth the $300.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
epiphone deluxe sg,there nice man, there 300 where i live with a hardshell case...so ya thts wat id go with
The RG2EX1 is a great guitar for 300 bucks. I highly recommend it.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
Look at some low end Hamers... they're great guitars for the money.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Hakanku

I should sig that, seriously.

You might be able to save money on buying a guitar with only the top 2 strings, as your not gunna need any more for grindcore.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
give me the Maeshall and just buy a casio keyboard I second the RONDO Music "Agile" Idea - I have 5 amps now and 1 Agile (well there is an old washburn Lyon in the closet) and I'm fine...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!