Lately, I've been wondering just how you create a guitar solo. I've tried numerous times, and pretty much with each one, all I get is a good beginning, and then it turns into staight crap. What I kind of want to make is a simple to play solo, yet a solo that sounds pretty...mosh-worthy. You know what I mean? A semi-hardcore solo, like the solo from Pulse Of The Maggots by Slipknot. A solo that I can easily play, yet it kind of makes a statement. Any criticism, help, racial slurs (Haha), comments, or pretty much anything or any statement that you would like to make towards me would be appreciated.
do u meen that when u start a solo off its all good then you run out of ideas on wat to do and u pretty much repeat yourself. Because if your doing that then you may want to have a look at some more solo technics for example :

e----------5------------
b----------5------------
g---7b------------------
d------------------------
learn scales, all the ones you can
the more you know the more diverse they will become(not boring,not like anyone else)
also you need to learn the "lead tricks"(not tricks,just good techniques)
tapping is easy and good, harmonics(in moderation) will make your solos more defined
and alternate picking are all great

i personally love harmonic scales and aeolian, they are just metal worthy
once you get familiar with them youll be making some of the most "mosh" worthy solos
in your area code
Thanks, and could you tell me what this means?

ex: 5b7r5 something like that. how do you bend up to another fret? It makes no sense.
Haha here i am telling a kid to learn his scales and i dont even know mine, i should probably go learn them...
thanks! ALOT! Since you've helped me with this, how do you pinch a harmonic?
Quote by Schmidt1989
Is a pinch harmonic the same as a natural harmonic?

don't think so. It should explain
MY GOD!!! this is the first thread i've read in a while where the threadstarter hasnt been flamed to the point of jumping off a cliff into an aquarium filled with piranas!

Anyway dude, just learn scales and eventually the solo's will just flow straight out of you without you knowing it
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I got semi problems with this too , I always see learn scales :p but im not sure how to play with them..sometimes i get something funny out of it :p but im more afraid that the 'solos' i create with scales will all sound the same
Play with your heart. Also, listen to vocal melodies in a song. They, in combination with your knowledge of scales, can previde a good 'hook' for your solos
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Quote by Schmidt1989
Is a pinch harmonic the same as a natural harmonic?

You can pick up natural harmonics by gently resting, basically floating, your fretting finger over the desired and plucking the string. Pinch's are all about how you pick, just try to really "dig" into the string when you pluck. Make sure your thumb is slightly exposed, not too much, or the pinch won't scream.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
MY GOD!!! this is the first thread i've read in a while where the threadstarter hasnt been flamed to the point of jumping off a cliff into an aquarium filled with piranas!

Haha nice. But, thanks to all the people that are helping me out with this...I'd like to post one of the solos I'm working on, but I don't know where I should post it at or even if I can post it.
oi