This is my new thrash metal song that my band is playing. I really would like your opinions on the solo, because to me it sounds just like a mass of fast pentatonic notes. The bridge and the ending are kind of weak too, and I want to change them but figured I'd get some crits first. crit 4 crit

EDIT: I updated the song, look down a few posts. I also got a recorded version of the song up, so check it out if you are so inclined. Dead Men Beckon the Living
Attachments:
thrash metal.zip
Last edited by onebetter at Apr 18, 2007,
\m/ i loved that! kinda slowish slayer start, i like how you smoothly transisted from riff to riff. But the riff that starts at bar 10 didn't feel right, i personally think it sounds fuller and better if you cut out bar 12, but that's just my opinion, but it sounds great on bar 14-17. And the riff on bar 18-33 is just metal! that is a ****ing awesome riff, well done!
as for the interlude i'd only repeat it 1 1/2 times instead of 2 so it doesn't get boring.
The solo was fine, although maybe cut back on the slides to the 22nd fret and whammy bar dives, they just don't fit in but the rest was fine.
crit mine? (in the sig, might not be you're style though... )
I think it's great. The riffs are good. The acoustic interlude owns. I don't like the tempo change after that, though, it sounds pretty rough. The bridge didn't fit with the rest of the song. The solo didn't have much melody or feel, it sounded like random shredding. The rest of the song after the solo was great, though.
some awkward rhythms in there. its all pretty classic thrash riffage. but good nonetheless. the interlude was good, the acoustic guitar was not used to its full potential i dont think. the tempo change wasnt so fantastic either. overall u had all good riffs just a little dated, very slayery. as a ridiculous fan of all things thrash i stull must commend u. good work
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
I liked it. The only thing I have to add is that I felt like you repeated some of the riffs a little too long. I liked the solo and the acoustic parts a lot though.
the acoustic part was very nice, i did find the chorus a tad repetitive, but thats wat makes a good catchy song i guess, the out verse was awesome...the solo was alright, but could have been done better. i really like the song altogether tho
acoustic parts are good. Bit repetative and slightly choppy solo. I think that you should improve on the song like you said you would in the beggining of the thread. some good metal though. If you fix that stuff then you'll be alright. In otherwords i agree with you on what needs to be changed.

Crit Mine
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
hey guys thanks for the crits. I updated the song a little. I lengthened the interlude with a more complex acoustic part and put a pause before the tempo change (i dont know if that will help). I replaced the bridge with the second breakdown riff and took off the crappy lick at the end. I haven't bothered changing the solo because i'm horrible at writing lead at this point and I'll just wait until my lead guitarist writes a better solo.

EDIT: ^ and csquared I would crit yours but i dont have guitar pro. I could listen if you exported a midi, though.
Attachments:
updated thrash metal.zip
It was decent. But it sounds too much like a ripped off Slayer song. But, overall decent song. Just not original at all. But, at least your solo sounded better than those horrid "solos" Slayer plays. Haha.
Quote by 1201ZJ
Well this calls for a beer, Uncle-Dad Cletus!

Quote by EchoxOath
HAAAAA! Jokes on you! I high fived you with the hand i fapped with!
Listening and critting..

The intro sounds really cool, though empty. But, I take into the fact that there's no drums/bass. The second part of the intro sounds awesome. Love it.

The chorus. No. It sounds so... awkward.

The verse sounds good. Sorta generic, but it works.

The interlude is really awesome. And the bridge works really well with it.
And then the re-intro works perfectly. Ah loving it.

Not fond of the solo. Then again, I've never liked the fast, thrash styled solos.

Breakdown, cool. The out-verse sounds really cool with those added octaves.

Overall, I loved it. I'd love to hear this with drums and bass.

edit:
ah crap. i just realized i listened to the not so updated version.
after listening to the updated version; sounds good. love the bass.
Spiral Out
Quote by Nunwhxre 666
But, at least your solo sounded better than those horrid "solos" Slayer plays. Haha.

hey isnt it your band that is so great that your fans cant actually say your name but can only shout it at the top of their lungs? isnt it your band that recorded an album that completely changed the face and direction of metal in less than 30 minutes? o wait no that was slayer. a little respect please
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
I liked it! just that id sounded a bit too much like a slayer ripoff (the intro). Great solo too!

grtz
Quote by Spark1284
hey isnt it your band that is so great that your fans cant actually say your name but can only shout it at the top of their lungs? isnt it your band that recorded an album that completely changed the face and direction of metal in less than 30 minutes? o wait no that was slayer. a little respect please

Oh, I respect them. I have TONS of respect for Slayer. But, respect doesn't make their solos sound good.
Quote by 1201ZJ
Well this calls for a beer, Uncle-Dad Cletus!

Quote by EchoxOath
HAAAAA! Jokes on you! I high fived you with the hand i fapped with!
Quote by Nunwhxre 666
Oh, I respect them. I have TONS of respect for Slayer. But, respect doesn't make their solos sound good.

fair enuff
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
For the most part its pretty good, but really repetitive and like stated is sorta a slayer rip off

the acoustic part is pretty cool and the solo is awsome
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun
The updated version is MUCH better. I liked the first though, just not as much.

The interlude in the updated one is excellent. I wasnt absolutely blown away by any riffs (save for the solo), but overall it came together for a really nice piece.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Intro - I think you used this riff very well, it reminded me of a Children of Bodom song
Chorus - It was good, but it was overusing the intro a bit too much
Verse - Very well done. I like your used of slides, the chromatic scale and 4ths and 5ths here
Interlude - I thought this part could have been better. The acoustic riff wasn't bad, but I didn't agree with the E 5th going over it the whole time. When the lead riff became distorted and everything sped up, I think it went a lot better, but the lead should have been a bit louder or the rhythm should have been a bit softer
Bridge - I really, really didn't like this part, it just didn't do anything for me, I guess
Solo - I thought it was very good use of all of the strings, and the triplets, it wouldn't hurt to make it a little bit shorter
Breakdown - I thought this part was absolutely amazing, and connected the Out-Verse very well to the rest of the song
Out-Verse - I couldn't ask for a better finish for a song like this

Overall, I'll give 8/10

MasEDIT: Sorry, I crit'd the non-updated version. I'll crit the updated one later.
I thought it was allright, some parts made me kind of bored from the repetativness, but most the riffs were good. The solo seems to alternate between being sweet to being bleh every few seconds, it almost builds up but then goes down again. The rythym guitar is cool in this song while the lead plays. Interlude very nice.
Sounds like Slayer, except Slayer get bored after playing a riff three times. You better have a good singer and kickass lyrics.

The acoustic part was awesome though.
I thought it was pretty good, I like the heaviness of it, but at the same time the clean part was sweet also. This would be a definite headbanging song at a concert, I was actually headbanging a little from just the Ptab...that almost never happens. As for the solo though, you are right it does sound a bit like you just put in random not...give it a little melody to keep people into it, people never forget a cathcy riff or solo. overall it is very good.

Crit one(or both) of my newest if you would...in the sig...Silent Escape or Vargtimmen
Its pretty cool, but without drums i dont feel it.
Liked your second half of the interlude when the distortion kicked in.
But you could have fixed a better rhythm guitar there.
And yes the solo felt like a mass of fast pentatonic notes, there was no feel to it.
I don't usually go for anything as heavy as that, but I really really liked it- and LOVED the riffs and the out-verse. The only thing I wasn't a fan of, was measure 95. I just think that instead of having that part which slows the song down before jerking it back into the solo, you should build it all up with a powerful lick which can then run smoothly into your great solo. Overall, think you've done a great job
Simon

You look just your mother...

You look just like your father...

Forgive him our father...

Your Son is smiling...
Loved it. Reminded me of a Slayer song for sure. A bit generic in terms of the chromatic scale, but its kinda hard to be original these days anyway. Excellent, I listened to it from start to finish, without cringing at any awful riffs, which is rare when it comes to Powertab users writing songs. Overall I give it a 7 out of 10. You must have a creative mind, keep it up man.
Wow, that was incredible. No complaints at all, I thought it was catchy as hell.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
I love the build up from a slower riff to the meat of the song, i'm not too keen on the wide vibratos at the start. There are a lot of tempo changes in this and some don't run into each other that well, they need looking over.
Bars 61-62 in the acoustic part don't sound right to me, not in key i think, the same goes for bars 70-71 in the electric part.
Bars 89-92 would be better if some chords weren't in staccato. If i could make a suggestion, don't put the last chord in each bar in Staccato, the let the last chord on bar 92 ring to the muted chords (i've tried it and it does sound better IMO)
The solo could do with a bit of tweaking but other than these, this is a decent song to listen to,
7/10