how big/powerful an amp would i need to play smallish to mediumish size gigs.

different tell me different amounts of watts and different makes and stuff and about solid state and tubes etc. and im kinda confused.. thanks..

i was kinda looking for nothing over £200

thanks
At £200 forget tubes. I recommend a Peavey TNT115. Cheap, loud enough, sounds nice. Check ebay.
i've got a peavey TKO115, not played through it on stage, but i've seen decent reviews about gigging with it

for small gigs you'll be fine with a 65 - 100 watt
I've heard if you're looking for a bass amp, never get a tube amp. Instead get a solid state amp. Apparently tubes are great for high end stuff like guitars, but not for basses.

If you're in a rock band I'm thinking 200-300 watts would be plenty loud. Remember though, to be twice as loud as a 300 watt amp, you'd need 3000 watts. Not 600 watts.
^^^Explain please
Originally Posted by bassmanjoe08
back in '76 i pried the frets off of jaco pastorius's bass hoping he wouldnt play as good.................damn did that backfire
Watts aren't directly proportional to how loud your amp gets. So the ratio isn't the same, meaning that 300 watts is half as loud as 600.
Haha I don't really know how to explain this, because I just heard it from a friend of mine and I don't know anything about amps. Sorry. Maybe you could get one of the mods in this thread to explain it?

Edit: Don't you mean 300 is half of 3000?
Quote by smb
At £200 forget tubes. I recommend a Peavey TNT115. Cheap, loud enough, sounds nice. Check ebay.

I love my TNT115 - go for it, you won't regret it. Also, for when you buy more gear, just DI 'em all together, lovely stuff.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by thyowen
Dl them together?

Ah, I didn't actually mean to type that. SEE HOW TIRED I AM?!?!?!!?

Sorry, to put it correctly, I love my TNT115, it even has a direct input jack for DIing straight into whatever it is you want, mixers, PAs, whatever. Pretty decent if you ever upgrade to a PA system and wtill want to keep that lovely lovely lovely amp ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
ok

what are those stack things people and have and why? im jsut wondering..
If you're talking about stacking speakers, then it's for volume or different types of sound. Yet it's pretty unnecesary to get really loud stacks because if you'd need it, they're most definitely going to have a PA system setup there already.

The racks that have knobs and stuff on them are preamps, power amps, tuners, etc. They aren't necessary to buy seperately though. There are amps called combo amps, that have everything built in to them.
Quote by rob_bass_man
i've got a peavey TKO115, not played through it on stage, but i've seen decent reviews about gigging with it

for small gigs you'll be fine with a 65 - 100 watt

I gig with a TKO115, it gets the job done, and theres a decent range of tone you can get with it, but be prepared - this thing is heavy and not much fun to lug around.

Also, if you use DI through the PA system, your amp will only be used as a monitor pretty much, so you probably don't need something super expensive.
Quote by yEsTeRdAy`
I've heard if you're looking for a bass amp, never get a tube amp. Instead get a solid state amp. Apparently tubes are great for high end stuff like guitars, but not for basses.

If you're in a rock band I'm thinking 200-300 watts would be plenty loud. Remember though, to be twice as loud as a 300 watt amp, you'd need 3000 watts. Not 600 watts.

That statement makes no sense. Even common sense tells us that 600 is double 300.

Whether the amp is rated 300/600 peak or rms is completely different.

If amp 1 runs at 300 watts rms, and amp 2 runs at 600 watts rms, amp 2 will be twice as loud as amp 1.

Now if those amps have that as their peak, that means they will only be able to sustain that for a couple seconds before it damages the head.

A 3000 watt amp will be ten times as loud as a 300 watt amp. I don't know who told you otherwise, but I don't suggest you listen to him anymore.
Quote by silver26
I gig with a TKO115, it gets the job done, and theres a decent range of tone you can get with it, but be prepared - this thing is heavy and not much fun to lug around.

Also, if you use DI through the PA system, your amp will only be used as a monitor pretty much, so you probably don't need something super expensive.

thats good then. yeah it is abit heavy lol

do you know what the actual wattage of the combo on its own is? cos the instructions only say 100 watt into 4ohm speakers n 75 watt into 8ohm speakers.

when i bought it the guy said it were 115 watts, but i ain't sure
Quote by elemenohpee
That statement makes no sense. Even common sense tells us that 600 is double 300.

If amp 1 runs at 300 watts rms, and amp 2 runs at 600 watts rms, amp 2 will be twice as loud as amp 1.

Now if those amps have that as their peak, that means they will only be able to sustain that for a couple seconds before it damages the head.

A 3000 watt amp will be ten times as loud as a 300 watt amp. I don't know who told you otherwise, but I don't suggest you listen to him anymore.

Yea that's what I was thinking. It was common sense to me that a 600 watt amp was twice as loud as a 300 watt amp....

I'll stop listening to him now
^ I would disagree if you look at it scientifically watts are only relating to power, that said it means nothing directly to the output of the sound. While more power will equal more sound how much more sound is not always the same in relation to the wattage. 100 watts to 200 watts doesn't necessarily mean a doubling of sound output merely a doubling of power. How much power it takes for the sound output is the question. It would also make sense to say that the more the sound gets louder the more wattage it would require to make it sound even louder that's why it needs to get exponetially more wattage.

This is how my science teacher explained it when I asked it so take it up with him if you feel the need.
Older Peavey's might be a good way to go if you can find one used, they're dirt cheap and pretty much bombproof.

I had a Mark III that looked like it was pulled out of a dump and it worked perfectly
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by elemenohpee

No, that is wrong.

It works on a logarithmic scale, not a linear scale. So do double the perceived volume you need to increase the wattage tenfold.

I'll say that again, a 3000 watt head running through the same speaker is twice as loud as a 300w head.

Why would people want 700w amps if they're only "twice" as loud as a 70w amp? Well, wattage is by far a better measure of headroom than it is volume. A high wattage amp will stay clean at higher volumes.

As for tubes vs. solid state, it's preference.

For guitar, 9 times out of ten you will want a tube amp. SS amps are evil for guitar.

But for bass it's a whole different story.

Some of the best amps out there (Eden, GK, MESA) are solid state. Some great ones are tube.

SS fans usually say tubes amps are muddy, while SS amps are crisp and punchy. Tube fans will say SS amps are sterile while tubes are warm. It's all preference and perspective, and that isn't a hard and fast rule. For example, tons of SS amps are warm sounding.

Most bassists don't use tube amps because we can get great tones with SS amps, and we don't want to put up with the hassle of tubes.

Retubing a guitar amp isn't that bad. Retubing a 300-500w bass amp will cost a fortune, look up the prices for a 6L6 tube. You need twelve of them in a 300w amp. Plus they weight a ton, and are more fragile than SS amps.

While you can't realistically get a 1000w tube amp like you can with SS amps, tubes are perceived to be louder. This is more noticeable with guitar. A 20w tube amp will be about as loud as a similar 50w SS amp. This is because as you turn a tube amp louder the signal distorts, but very subtly. We don't perceive this as distortion, we hear it as extra volume.

But if you crank a tube amp if will distort, and it will be very noticeable. Some people love this, some hate it. A good SS amp won't distort.

Also, if an amp has a tube preamp it's technically a hybrid amp. It's not a tube amp no matter what any salesman tells you. To me that's the best option, an all valve preamp for warmth and harmonics, and a SS power amp for clarity and power.

Read these, they are written for guitar amps but alot of it applies to bass amps.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149114

http://www.guitarnuts.com/amps/myths.php

Also, generally bass needs more power (watts) than guitar because it takes more power to amplify a low frequency signal. You can gig just fine with a 30w valve guitar amp. But for bass I'd personally not want to go below 200w.

EDIT: When I say I wouldn't want less than 200w that doesn't mean that you need 200w to play in a band. My amp is running at 240w right now through a 1x15 cab and I only keep the volume on 2.5 at band practices.

Try not to go under 100w if you can though.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at Jan 18, 2007,