heyked people can someone please give me any advice on how to improve my speed when alternate picking because when i try to go9 fast i just get a lot of string noise. ive been trying to improve this for a long time and now i feel like smashing my guitar because im so f**ked off with it. so can someone please help me with my crisis.

thanks.
Like everyone says and your prob tired of hearing it...........Practice!

Practicing works for everything, you should start easy. Just play 1......2.....3.......4 over and over again using alternate picking. Once you get better, play a similar pattern moving up and down the strings.
if theres a lot of string noise, slow dooown. play slower, then when you feel comfortable in that speed, then gradually start quickening the pace. and i second getting a metronome.
well my question pertains to this i suppose. what should i do with my picking hand? keep it loose or tight? and is it better to play with the wrist or elbow? like the starter, it frustrates me to no end not knowing
Quote by k-log
well my question pertains to this i suppose. what should i do with my picking hand? keep it loose or tight? and is it better to play with the wrist or elbow? like the starter, it frustrates me to no end not knowing

I learned from my classical guitar teacher to keep a loosely closed fist and use your wrist. When you're starting out, pluck the string and rest it on the next one and use the same process when going the other direction. Once you master that, start using progressively smaller and smaller picking strokes to play much faster.
Quote by k-log

Tight will usually cause tension which in turn will cause a lot of unwanted things. So loose is what you want.
The fundamental pick stroke really should stem from the elbow. That will give you
the most relaxed access to all strings. If you ignore that and only use the wrist,
most likely you'll have problems down the road. You really need both wrist and
elbow.

Probably you should start with an "open" hand. For starters, it's easier to keep
more relaxed and balanced. A loose fist can easily turn into a clenched fist which
is bad. The open hand will help you keep a light grip on the pick. You only need just
enough pressure to hold it.

Your frustration is because you are just attempting to play fast without trying to
understand how the fundamentals work at slower speeds.