I have just recently recorded a drum track in MIDI format. I know that it needs to be in the audio format to enable me to export it, but the program I use (Cakewalk SONAR 6 Producer Edition) doesn't explain it too well.
I would be very greatful if someone could explain to me how to do this.
Easy...

Actually, there are several ways to do it, but here's the easiest. Open up your windows volume control / mixer and go to recording properties. Select Wave Out or 'What You Hear' as input. Different operating system versions and soundcards can call this different things.

Now, your soundcard is recording whatever you play back. If you just arm a track you'll notice the meter move when you playback any of the tracks. It's recording the sound being generated at the soundcard's output.

You may need to Mute the track doing the recording.

But I was thinking there was a way to do it without "recording" the MIDI as Audio. Are you sure you can't bounce the track as audio? Seems like I've had to do this here recently. I have Homestudio - not producer.
Last edited by ParanoiaMusic at Jan 16, 2007,
I can't bounce the track because I haven't used any soft synths. I have tried to loop it through a PA and back into the system, which worked, but when I played the track back there was a ringing sound throughout the whole thing.

I understand the basic idea as practically "recording" the MIDI track as audio, but why won't it let me loop it?
Quote by epitaph0x
I can't bounce the track because I haven't used any soft synths. I have tried to loop it through a PA and back into the system, which worked, but when I played the track back there was a ringing sound throughout the whole thing.

I understand the basic idea as practically "recording" the MIDI track as audio, but why won't it let me loop it?

You can. But you'll need to mute the record playback - the line in. I think the ringing is feedback. Because you're sending the signal to line out and then looping it back to line in - so now the line out is going to play - out loud - what is coming in, which is going out, which is coming in, which is going out, which is coming in....feedback.

If you mute your line in playback, it will fix that. Of course, you won't hear anything while it records. That's ok, your card is hearing it just fine. Use your meters in your Cakewalk program to adjust the recording level.

I do alot of this sort of thing. Get to know your audiocard mixer - so you understand, mentally, what the signal is doing - then you'll know when to mute something or what not.

Anyway, that should work. By the way, what's making your drum sounds? Your audiocard? I don't know what kind of card you have, but soft synths are really nice and I believe they're a bit easier to manipulate.
I actually used the program "Jammer" to record the drum tracks. I don't think they offered the soft synths, so I just went on without them. They probably would sound better, but I don't know how to put the soft synths on the track(if you can) using cakewalk. Would happen to know how to do that? It would probably be a lot easier to just bounce the track anyways.
Well, you have to download some soft synth plugins - like VST or DXi (whatever that one's called).

Then you click on the DX button in your main Cakewalk view - that will bring up a box that lists your soft synth plugins. You choose the one you want and Cakewalk will create a new "audio" track ( yep that's right...an audio track - kinda weird ). You don't record anything in this track - it's solely for the soft synth output to get to your audio card output - like I said, kinda strange. When you mute that track, it will mute all MIDI tracks that are using that particular soft synth. Make sense?

Anyway, you will notice a new device in your MIDI track's drop down box - your soft synth - so just select it and voila!

It sounds like a lot, but this takes about 3 seconds. I run several different soft synths at once - usually the Soundfont Synth for drums and some Roland soft synth for strings, piano and etc...

Are you comfortable with MIDI? Like Channel, Bank, Patch and etc? That's not a Cakewalk format, so don't confuse the complicated nature of MIDI with Cakewalk - that's just how MIDI is.

When I get home tonight, I'll see if I can post some links to the downloads for these soft synths. It's been so long since I got them, I just don't recall where I went on the net to find them.