Page 1 of 2
recently ive been feeling depressed about the guitar and feeling im not very good. even though everybody says i am good. i want to get much better but i dont know if i can if i continue feeling like this.

any advice?
Cheer up emo kid.
I'm actually being serious. Quit your whining. There's nothing we can tell you to do to change what your feeling. So go get your guitar and practice untill you feel happy withyourself. And if not, express yourself through your guitar.
everyone goes through it, it passes with time, but stick with it, it might be hard but its worth it in the end, and remember that guitars about having fun and chilling, not punishment
Practice and you will get better. Basically just realax and enjoy playing, it shouldn't be a chore at all.
Just start with some easy chords. Trust me, you'll feel like a total freaking n00b. But start playing some easy power-chord-only songs. They're easy, so you'll get the hang of em quick. Actually nailing something right should turn your attitude a little for the better, then you can move on to slightly more advanced ones with easy riffs and such, like Sweet Child O' Mine. If you can nail that, your problem is solved. I've been through the same damn thing several times. Just devote more time to your guitar and LEARN something.
... Dude if you don't think your good and you don't know how to get better... F***ing quite. If your not going to commit to it whats the point... If you think your crap then yur crap... Either make yourself better or quite...
Learn theory.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
This is what I do when I want to feel better about playing the guitar.

find some tabs for some Robert Johnson Blues. Simple stuff, lose the pick for a day and play with your fingers. Learn a blues scale starting on the bottom E string.

Get a basic 12 bar blues pattern down, hammering 7ths and 9ths on top of say an D, A, E progression. That Blues scale will come in handy for filling betwwn chords.

Sounds complicated. Just learn a blues scale, and a couple of jazz chords and riffs, then sit in the park and start improvising. 99% of what you play will suck, but you'll enjoy it anyway. It's what I do to re-connect with my guitar when I'm ****ing up simple nirvana.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
You should take a look at your favourite guitar player, and listen to his/her songs. That should inspire you. Listen to music that sounds amazing. I felt rubbish at guitar at a time, but I kept practicing, and now I feel good. Another way for inspiration is too listen to an amazing guitar solo. It'll make you want to air guitar,m but more importantly be good enough to play it, so it'll inspire you.
Confidence is a big issue for a lot of people, myself included, it is only natural but let's see what would be the consequences if you listened to the voice inside your head.

Well...you would most likely give up, stop playing, right? Then how on earth will you ever become a better guitarist than how you perceive yourself now?
After posting that I turned the mixer on, and sat down in front of the mic and just jammed. I recorded 10 minutes of me making shit up, most of it awful. Out of this I got maybe 3 or four good riffs when I listened back to it.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

recently ive been feeling depressed about the guitar and feeling im not very good. even though everybody says i am good. i want to get much better but i dont know if i can if i continue feeling like this.

any advice?

Quit your whining cause it's bringing me down...

I've got no idea of your ability level so it's hard to give advice on where to go next, but one thing that always applies is play EVERYTHING. Not just songs you like, try to play everything you hear on the guitar....pop songs, advert jingles, TV themes, just muck around and have fun.

If i knew where you were up to, i might be able to help more...after all, i doubt there's many people here who just picked up the guitar and learned to play it without ever having problems.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by chiliman14

any advice?

i feel the same about my guitar playing but we are all self-critical so meh, don't be emo about it, jus keep playing.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Every musician hits a wall at some point, I've had it myself, one minute I think to myself OMG I just played that, then the next I can't believe how boring my guitar playing is and I can't seem to learn anything.

It's all in your head, give it time and your confidence will come back
Yeah listening to your favourite music is good too. I listen to Tommy Emmanuel and i am inspired. I try to keep up with his licks, and I can do the first 12 bars, then he starts doing all the really complicated variations on his basic patterns and I'm lost.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

i can honestly say i've never felt like that...going through a flat spot just makes me more determined to get better...
watch yourself play in a mirror, and realise how cool you look when your fingers go really fast...
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
start playing some older songs that you first started on.

that always gets me going again
Play a new style of music. I wasn't getting anywhere with thrash a few weeks ago, so recently I've switched to folk and fingerpicking, now I enjoy playing again.
Dickless.
just so you all know ive been playing for almost a year, i know a fair bit of theory and some songs.
A year's not really that long, just hunt around for new inspiration...watch a few bands, that always helps me. Play along to some random songs too - don't learn the songs as such, just learn the basic chords and improvise over them, it's good fun.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Practice. You won't get better from sitting on your ass posting about how depressed you are.
Learn new songs, learn theory, do speed exercises, learn new styles, etc.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Get a band.

Helped me.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
I sometimes feel depressed, and I consider myself quite a competent player. Sometimes, songs are better than technique... eg: You won't pull a girl by playing Yngwie Malmsteen, but you could make her go all soft on you and maybe even cry by playing some acoustic ballads. I love rock, but there's a time when your ears have to go ahead of your hands when playing.

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I've had this problem at a few times within the past five years (before that I was so obsessed that I'd be putting in at least 5 hours a day). It's easy to get a little burned out from time to time, in which case I always just take a day or two away from playing anything and just relax. I'll go back to it, usually with the desire to learn something more. Not so much song wise, but more in a theory sense or even working on a technique.

I've actually been having a few off days recently, but something always comes along to drag me back to it.
Feeling miserable? Screw that emo shite.
Improv some blues that'll make you feel better!

...Then your blues will have no soul
Quote by NeptuneUK
Feeling miserable? Screw that emo shite.
Improv some blues that'll make you feel better!

...Then your blues will have no soul
I know you

I've got Reason but my pc's too slow to operate the program!
^ PC or sound card? Get a decent sound card.
As long as you have at least 512mb of system RAM then a semi decent soundcard will take any strain of other system resources. Smells like you got onboard sound....

Also, Hi Yawn!!! Hows it goin!!?
^ Hah, I've got 256mb of RAM! Lame, I know - I plan on getting more soon. =D

And, uh, it's going good

(actually, not really; fucking physics class and gov class and stat class and college )
I go through the same thing quite often... But that doesn't keep me from playing, actually makes me practice a bit too much. I mean, I'm supposed to get up in 5 hours, and here I am sitting playing guitar... Good Night Everyone!
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by NeptuneUK
Physics rules!
(im studying for a degree in it next year)
I hate physics ><

I just got a 46% on a test today dammit!
"why do i feel rubbish at guitar?"

because you are
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by chiliman14

any advice?

Enjoy guitar... once music becomes a chore you will just go in the wrong direction and eventually fail.

Enjoy music. I'm serious.
First off, let me congratulate the kiddies who can't stop to think about what others are feeling and everything, you know, because being tough to him is really going to help.

You sicken me.

Second off, no, he's not asking for "OMG LYK UR SO GOOD AT PLAYING GUITAR LOLOLZ".
He's asking for ways to get off that feeling. Idiots. Especially the bandwagoners who don't have any clue what he's talking about.

Third off, many musicians go through this. Picking up guitar and playing it isn't going to help. Do something new. Maybe even take a break from playing. Play a whole new genre of music, go test-drive a few guitars at Guitar Center, listen to bands you've heard of but never bothered listening to. Find some way to enjoy playing, instead of dreading it.

In the end, you'll be ready to pick up that guitar and experimenting with new styles, sounds, and you'll be back in no time.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
get high and play.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Page 1 of 2