I'm currently in the process of modifying my bass with one of the main upgrades being the pickups. I'm pretty much decided on a Seymoure Duncan quarter pounder for the bridge but I'm unsure as to what I want in the neck.

I was wondering what a guitar pickup would sound like and more importantly if it would work at all.
As far as I can see it shouldn't be a problem with regard to the electrical wiring and a nice fat humbucker should cover the full spectrum of the strings.
Has anyone ever tried this or have I just gone completely made?
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
if you could modify a guitar pickup i suppose it could work because what forsaknazreal said makes sense. so yeah if you could sort out the pole pieces i don't see why not
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
A blade pickup would get rid of the issue with pole pieces. I don't know how it'd sound, but I'd suppose you weren't the first to have wanted to try it, though. However, I have no idea where you can find someone who knows anything about it. I personally don't see any apparent problems with it.
A railed pickup (Hotrails, Coolrails, Vintagerails) MAY work. It's just alot easier to use a bass pickup.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Yeah i was planning on using a blade pickup. What I think I might do is buy a really cheap pickup and wire it in to see how it sounds. If that works than I'll put a decent pickup in.
To be honest I don't really know what kinda sound I'm expecting to get from doing this, it's just experimentation really.
I'm also designing and building a whammy bar for it which should be fun (or I'll just ended breaking the neck on my bass)
I tried a £8 pickup in it and it sounded pretty cool. I've decided I'm gonna put a Bill Lawrence L500XL in it. I'll upload load some sound clips when I've got the SD 1/4 pounder and the 500xl both installed.
This reminds me of a thread one or two years ago; where a guy put a bass pickup in his guitar and tried to sell it on eBay, claiming it sounded like a bass. The pickup was just loose in the cavity, too.
Mine's going to be done properly. Instead of just dropping the pickups into the old cavitys i'm going to mill them out completely, glue a new piece of wood into the middle and route the holes out to the correct size.
my old mate used to have a gibson electric guitar strung up for bass and he siad it sounded amazing :P
TUNED

Join now ^^^^^ NEW GUITAR FORUM ^^^^^^
ive been thinking about that all week.
this thread rocks.
Quote by jamie_4061
tall metally disabled child
looking for similarlly tall metally disabled boy drummer
to play in his new band "penis strokers"
Won't work well. The pickup doesn't pick up low frequencies that well (from my experience).
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.