me and my friends have aquired this mixing board:

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/index_item_url.cfm?threadid=449

Its quite old and we havent played around with it yet, but I was wondering if it was possible to use this connected to a PC/Laptop/Mac

Is it possible(and actually viable) to connect each channel(or the first 4/8) separately into eg. a 10in/10 out sound card and use a programme such as Cubase or Adobe Audtion to record on to? Is this a way to get most out of the board? Or am i barking up the wrong tree. What gave me this idea was a picture from the Recording Setup thread,on the second page, its a wiring diagram instead of a pic of a room, and it shows each channel direct outs connected to souncards inputs.

If it is not a viable idea what would you recommend as a recording console, wether digital or analog.

We are quite inexperienced in the recording side of things, only 4track/8track experience, and Ive just started recording on my computer with said programmes and still learning. But this is just sitting there and it would be nice to be able to use it, a lot of famous local bands used this very board in the 80's/90's, its still got the tape on with settings written on it from the studio it was in.

Thanks in advance
up the bracket
if it has inserts, you could use a y cable and plug each channel into an in and out on the interface. that way, the sound would go through just the preamp, untouched into the interface, and then back into the board on the same channel for eq, routing, panning, volume, etc. this is generally how a mixer is used unless it is split console and you have inputs on one side and outs on the other. good luck!

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
Read the stickies!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
You've got the idea you'll need a soundcard with a lot of inputs like an M-Audio 1010LT. Than assuming that each channel has an insert you'd plug a 1/4" cable in to the first click not all the way and that will give you a direct out, and send it to the soundcard.
You can certainly just record the mix using the tape out to the sound card line in of your computer and it would give you good recordings of your mix. That would easily for doing live recordings as well at a gig. That is a very simple way to start using it now for no money. It might have some noisy channels, etc, who knows.

But if you are wanting to do some more serious multi-track processing on a computer, you might be as well of to get a new mixer with firewire interface built in. As opposed to using a bunch of analog interfaces to a big nasty sound card, that are often fussy and require a strong PC.
Quote by ozarkracer
You can certainly just record the mix using the tape out to the sound card line in of your computer and it would give you good recordings of your mix. That would easily for doing live recordings as well at a gig. That is a very simple way to start using it now for no money. It might have some noisy channels, etc, who knows.

But if you are wanting to do some more serious multi-track processing on a computer, you might be as well of to get a new mixer with firewire interface built in. As opposed to using a bunch of analog interfaces to a big nasty sound card, that are often fussy and require a strong PC.

i disagree. pci audio interfaces can require just as little and most often less of a pc load. the preamps youve got in that mixer are most likely superior to any firewire mixer available to you and also with some research and routing you will mixing on that big lovely board instead of dragging sliders and clicking buttons on a computer screen with a mouse. (A HUGE difference btw)

stick with the mixer into an interface.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
if you wanted you could use it kindof like a sub-mixer. get some sort of firewire or usb interface and run your left and right min line outs from the mixer into the interface.... the only problem with that is you will have to get the sound level for each channel right because you wont be able to change it once in the program. its kindof a pain. thats how i record drums on my alesis usb8. because it only has 4 xlr inputs.. so i use a sub-mixer
"you just got to punch it"
"thats what im talkin about"
"just punch the frets"
The problem is that after you mix things in a mixer, they're mixed together into one signal, and no longer editable.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
well you could still edit length and over all volume. just not each insterment volume.... thats just why you get it right the first time. haha

actually if it were me, i would problably sell it
and buy somthing like a 10 input firewire rig
or the pro tools mixing consol
but thats just me
"you just got to punch it"
"thats what im talkin about"
"just punch the frets"