Have been playing for about a year, learning basically open chords then progressing to barre chords. but have neglected the lead side of things, which is why i started to learn scales. Learning major, minor, blues, minor major pentatonics. Well so i thought have just realised that these patterns change at different frets. This has blown my mind so do i have learn these scales in 5 positions for each different note.
would be grateful for ant help, advice or reccomended lessons.
the scales are movable so if you want to play a g minor pentatonic scale it will be the same pattern as an a minor pentatonic, the only difference is that it will be rooted on g instead of a.
Learn the pattern of lets say the A major scale. Then if you want the C major scale move the same scale shape to the C root note. There is no need to learn a diferent shape for different keys. Its the same shape on different frets for all scales
And remember to use a metronome!
Well, after a while you should be able to play the scales by feel. Like, just knowing what notes are in that partucular scale(i.e. Lyndian *flat*b7 scale 1 2 3 #4 5 6 b7) and just mentally mapping them in your head by using little tricks like remembering where octaves are. Remembering where a note's octave is and continuing the note paterns from there, but of course, that's just MY way. If u really want to understand scales I would say to get both the book and DVD for Guitar Grimoire, Scales and Modes. Also, the dvd, Modes No More Mystery by Frank Gambale. Sure, pricy, but helpful nontheless.
Quote by N031
Well, after a while you should be able to play the scales by feel. Like, just knowing what notes are in that partucular scale(i.e. Lyndian *flat*b7 scale 1 2 3 #4 5 6 b7) and just mentally mapping them in your head by using little tricks like remembering where octaves are. Remembering where a note's octave is and continuing the note paterns from there, but of course, that's just MY way. If u really want to understand scales I would say to get both the book and DVD for Guitar Grimoire, Scales and Modes. Also, the dvd, Modes No More Mystery by Frank Gambale. Sure, pricy, but helpful nontheless.

With a b7 that's Lydian dominant, a mode of melodic minor.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
So there are 6 scales based on the Melodic Minor Just like there're 6 scales based on the Major scale?
Quote by Belgian Bastard
So there are 6 scales based on the Melodic Minor Just like there're 6 scales based on the Major scale?
There are seven scales based on those two scales, but one of those seven happens to be that scale, so I guess we have something like 6 scales plus major/melodic minor. There are also scales based on harmonic minor.
So the scale of B based on a harmonic Minor would be like:

B- H - C - W - D - W - E - H - F - Wh - G# - H - A - W - B
H= Half note interval
W= whole note interval
Wh = one and a half note interval

And a regular B harmonic Minor is:
B C# D E F# G A# B

Right??
Last edited by Belgian Bastard at Jan 16, 2007,
Quote by Belgian Bastard
So the scale of B based on a harmonic Minor would be like:

B- H - C - W - D - W - E - H - F - Wh - G# - H - A - W - B
H= Half note interval
W= whole note interval
Wh = one and a half note interval

And a regular B harmonic Minor is:
B C# D E F# G A# B

Right??
I have no clue what you're trying to do with that first part, but your B Harmonic minor scale is correct.
Like a Myxolidian scale in G is based on the Major scale in C

a ****ed up explenation to explain the first part of my previous post
Quote by Belgian Bastard
Like a Myxolidian scale in G is based on the Major scale in C

a ****ed up explenation to explain the first part of my previous post
I still don't know what you're talking about.
He is giving the second mode of A Harmonic Minor, which is B locrian 6.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by Belgian Bastard
I didn't know the name of the scale.

Sometimes, I feel like such a noob.
There's a long post about them in the archives. It is called "further modes."