As the title says, I'm looking to have my dalmatian desexed. No I want to record my amp, I don't have a dalmation. I'm looking for a cheap dynamic that will record a decent overdrive and clean sound out of a small Marshall combo. It need never do anything else useful in it's life, It will be specifically the amp mic.

I won't have a rubber mount for it, so something not too vibration sensitive would be great, since a mic sitting close to an amp on the floor is going to get lots of vibration, particularly from the amp itself, and nearby bass amps and footsteps.

It's running into an old Teac mixer which started life as part of a 4 track package and seems to handle most things alright. From the mixer it takes a line into the SB audigy in my PC.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
I agree with the SM57. It's a standard, and it has proven effective for countless people.

Do yourself a favor and get a cheap mic stand too. You don't need anything fancy. You should be able to get one for $20 or so, and it'll do a better job than sitting the mic on the floor. You'll be able to place the mic more effectively and get a better sound out of it.
Quote by big crouton
I agree with the SM57. It's a standard, and it has proven effective for countless people.

Do yourself a favor and get a cheap mic stand too. You don't need anything fancy. You should be able to get one for $20 or so, and it'll do a better job than sitting the mic on the floor. You'll be able to place the mic more effectively and get a better sound out of it.

Oh no I wasn't going to sit the mic on the floor, I've got plenty of stands hanging around, I just meant that I didn't have a rubber mount top to absorb knocks and vibration, which rules out using really sensitive studio mics.

The ElectroVoice I use to mic my acoustic has a rubber cage, which cuts means it responds to sounds in the room, but not to vibration through the micstand.

I used the same system on a boom mic a couple of months ago working on a friend's film. The mic was so sensitive that I was able to record the sound of of sugar granules hitting the water as we filmed a closup of someone making coffee, but with the shock absorbtion, the sounds of my fingers moving around the boom didn't transfer through the mic.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
SM57 definitely for a guitar amp, but just for a heads up that most of the time condensers which are prone to vibrations and that come with shock mounts. So just a little FYI.