I ordered a bunch of capacitors and some of them are strange. They're little chips instead of regular caps. How do I used these?
Do they have two leads? If so, you'd use them just like a regular capacitor. If not, I have no clue. Try googling the part number.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Are they very small surface mount capacitors? Look up SMD and tell us if they look like those.

Yes. How do I put those on the PC Board? I don't think the board I'm getting has places for them, so should I just order new ones that fit? These were very low capacitance.
What kind of board are you using? If it's a printed board and you're supposed to be surface mounting them, there would be little pads where they'll fit perfectly. If it's a perf board, you'll need to order new ones, that aren't surface mount. I guess you could solder a wire to each end, but I'd recommend just getting new ones.
MG Free At Last
^-For PCBs usually you dont use these unless your a big manufacturer or something. I havent really heard of many people building SMD effects pedals except some cheap pedals and the Nano EH Series.

And you definately cant solder wires onto each side of the SMD components. Do you know how small they are? Wires wont fit or even stay.

Just order new ones.

EDIT: also, your PC Board... Did you etch it? Can I see a picture of it?
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
^-For PCBs usually you dont use these unless your a big manufacturer or something. I havent really heard of many people building SMD effects pedals except some cheap pedals and the Nano EH Series.

And you definately cant solder wires onto each side of the SMD components. Do you know how small they are? Wires wont fit or even stay.

Just order new ones.

EDIT: also, your PC Board... Did you etch it? Can I see a picture of it?

No, I didn't etch it, I'm buying one from tonepad.com (what can I say, I'm a n00b). I'm certain that it doesn't have spots for SMD. It's this one (Rebote Delay 2.5): http://www.tonepad.com/photoessay.asp?photoEssayID=21&sequenceNo=7
^-Yea, those arent meant for SMD (Surface Mounts) at all. Like I said, DIY building and most pedals around arent SMD except crappy computer/robot made FAB pedals (thats why they are so cheap in price).
^The FAB pedals pwn.

And you can wire them onto a circuit board, it's hard, but possible.
Just buy new parts.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^-I didnt say they were bad, I just said thats why they are so cheap in price. Because they use cheaper components and can make the circuit smaller and use robots/computers to make them.

I didnt say its not possible, but for a noob, it will be very hard to have the correct technique to hold down the tiny piece while soldering. Plus its just not really logical to do.
"crappy computer/robot made FAB pedals"
Didn't say they were bad?

It's totally illogical, and impractical, yes.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.