So im looking into getting a new amp but i am unable to try any out right now because im deployed overseas and there are no music stores. i want to get about a 30 watt amp, something loud enough to get good tone out of but im not gonna gigging with it. i play modern rock, classic rock and metal mostly. i have heard a lot about the roland cubes, are they as good as people say they are, also looking at VOX? would i be better off to get a tube amp? not sure what im willing to spend yet, under $1000 though. i would like something that sounds better than my 212 crate, cheaper is good of course but most important thing is sound quality. recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
First off: Good luck, man!

I like the Vox, but if metal is the majority of what you play, you may want a Cube instead. Tube amps are great, but another world budget-wise. Unless you want something like the Epi Valve Jr. but, again, it's really more of a classic rock amp. Don't know if you plan on bringing many pedals with you, either. The modeling amps might be best because of all the effects/models built in.

The 5W VJ will get close to the volume of a 30W Vox AD or Cube.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
So i think i like the effects that the roland cube has, but is the tone of the cube as good as the VOX? I'm not particularly looking for a shredding amp. I want something that has a pretty good clean channel, and will allow me to play stuff from rock bands such as acdc, led zeppelin, G-n-R, while also being able play modern rock. i hear the cube is good for metal stuff which is good because i enjoy playing metallica etc. but can it still get good tone for lesser gain pieces?
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
The Vox can get pretty heavy. To be honest, its between the cube and vox, so err... which ever one is cheapest :p
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
I prefer the Vox, too, but I'm not a metal guy. The thing has gain settings that I don't use. Also has plenty of decent effects built in.

Best bet is to try 'em side by side if you can.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I should of made this a VOX AD30VT and Roland Cube 30x poll. The costs are about even, $239 for VOX and $229 for the Cube. So everyone feel free to leave an opinion, will be much appreciated.

But as i mentioned above, I can't try them side by side.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo