Page 1 of 2
im trying to learn the harmonic minor but im having a hard time learning it.
when i learned the pentatonic minor, i divided it into different sections. example:

so i just learned each part and learned each part.
but i don't know how to divide the harmonic minor or how to learn it's pattern.
any solutions?

if this thread doesn't belong to this forum, i'll delete it and post it in its corresponding forum. just write in which (it doesn't belong to the "guitar and bass basics" forum in my opinion as it's not a basic thing)
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by sadistic_monkey
PRACTISE

Why the hell is everybody looking for an "easy" way to do all this stuff?

im not looking for an "easy" way. im looking for a way to memorize the scale. because when i watch teh harmonic minor in all-guitar-chords.com i just see a lot of dots in the fretboard and feel confused and don't know what to learn 1st

EDIT: lol i wrote fretword instead of fretboard. damn my low english when i write fast
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

You memorize scales by PLAYING THEM!!!!!!! Listen to the SOUND that a particular scale makes. Shit, why do even bother to ask?
just play the scale over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

btw i bet if you played the scales the exact number of times I said "and over," you'll get it down lol
but people, i know i gotta play it again and again. but that's what i mean:
when i watch the scale i see this thing:

i dont know from where to start there. or how to play that scale. understand me?
i just see a lot of notes spread over the fretboard.
i don't know WHAT to practice. from where to start
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

write riffs, licks and solos using just the one scale.
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by urik
but people, i know i gotta play it again and again. but that's what i mean:
when i watch the scale i see this thing:

i dont know from where to start there. or how to play that scale. understand me?
i just see a lot of notes spread over the fretboard.
i don't know WHAT to practice. from where to start

that basically means all of the notes on the fretboard that is part of the scale in that particular key.

it allows you to go any direction you want.

for example, you can go straight up the Low e where it's marked.

most practical is still going across the fretboard. you can treat it like modes. start one place on the low E, play it across the board. then start at the fret of the next note on the low E and play those notes across and so on and so forth.
Play this:

--3-6-3----3-----------------------
----------6----6-3-6-3----3-------
--------------------------5----5-3-5
--------------------------------------
Quote by cockzit
Play this:

that's just minor pent....
Quote by cockzit
Play this:

but its part of the pentatonic. not the harmonic minor
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by altronataku
that basically means all of the notes on the fretboard that is part of the scale in that particular key.

it allows you to go any direction you want.

for example, you can go straight up the Low e where it's marked.

most practical is still going across the fretboard. you can treat it like modes. start one place on the low E, play it across the board. then start at the fret of the next note on the low E and play those notes across and so on and so forth.

mhh excuse me but i didn't understand you

you mean to go for example

E|---4---5---------------------------------
A|----------5----7-------------------------
D|------------------7--9-------------------

?????
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by GiantRaven
Whats so hard to remember about it?

It's almost exactly the same as the natural minor...

if i knew the natural minor that'd help
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

You can play A pentatonic minor. So with very little difficulty you can learn A minor by just adding in two extra notes. Once you're fine with that, simply shift the G up to G#.
another good way, and probably easier than that is to first lay down what are the degrees (note relations to the tonic) of the harmonic scale.

a harmonic minor has
Tonic (root note), natural 2nd, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, flat 6th, and major 7th.

so now you can start from any note and just keep those degrees in mind and you can play wherever you want, however you want.
Quote by altronataku
another good way, and probably easier than that is to first lay down what are the degrees (note relations to the tonic) of the harmonic scale.

a harmonic minor has
Tonic (root note), natural 2nd, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, flat 6th, and major 7th.

so now you can start from any note and just keep those degrees in mind and you can play wherever you want, however you want.

mhh sorry but all the theory i know is time signatures xD
but instead of bitching about it i'll search about it in google. thank you.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Malakian88
You can play A pentatonic minor. So with very little difficulty you can learn A minor by just adding in two extra notes. Once you're fine with that, simply shift the G up to G#.

thats good. thank you. gonna try that
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
mhh excuse me but i didn't understand you

you mean to go for example

E|---4---5---------------------------------
A|----------5----7-------------------------
D|------------------7--9-------------------

?????

if you used the diagram

start at the 5th fret of low E for example.

i'm too lazy to make the tab format so i'll say the notes by String and fret. for example, E6, A5, etc.

across the board it would be

E5, E7, E8, A5, A7, A8, D6, D7, G4, G5, G7, B5, B6, e4, e5.

but srslly, learn your theory, n00b
Quote by GiantRaven
How long have you been playing?

1 year and 4 months. the only scale i know is the minor pentatonic and blues minor pentatonic. it's bad?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by altronataku
if you used the diagram

start at the 5th fret of low E for example.

i'm too lazy to make the tab format so i'll say the notes by String and fret. for example, E6, A5, etc.

across the board it would be

E5, E7, E8, A5, A7, A8, D6, D7, G4, G5, G7, B5, B6, e4, e5.

but srslly, learn your theory, n00b

thats just what i needed!! thank you. but how can i discover the pattern for other positions of the scale for example? how do i know that its A5 A7 A8 and not A5 A7 D3????
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
thats just what i needed!! thank you. but how can i discover the pattern for other positions of the scale for example? how do i know that its A5 A7 A8 and not A5 A7 D3????

well D3 isn't even marked....

use your brain a little. if you'll notice, the notations i gave you match up the diagram exactly. all you have to is start at a spot marked on the diagram, and play the consecutive notes that are marked by the diagram

oh i just understood your question. if you played A5, A7, and then skipped to D4, you'll realize you skipped a note. that's how you can tell.
Quote by urik
how do i know that its A5 A7 A8 and not A5 A7 D3????

There's no difference. Except that the first one doesn't require six-inch fingers.
Quote by altronataku
well D3 isn't even marked....

use your brain a little. if you'll notice, the notations i gave you match up the diagram exactly. all you have to is start at a spot marked on the diagram, and play the consecutive notes that are marked by the diagram

D3 IS MARKED. IT'S A F!
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
D3 IS MARKED. IT'S AN F!

oh woops

that makes more sense

the whole point of the diagram is so that you can play it in many different ways.

playing A5, A7, D3 is fine. there's nothing wrong with it. it's just another way of playing it.
Quote by Malakian88
There's no difference. Except that the first one doesn't require six-inch fingers.

k thnx
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by altronataku
oh woops

that makes more sense

the whole point of the diagram is so that you can play it in many different ways.

playing A5, A7, D3 is fine. there's nothing wrong with it. it's ust another way of playing it.

k
what confuses me, is that when i learned the pentatonics, there were 5 different already made positions (the example in the 1st post shows 2 of em). so for other scales there aren't already made positions like in the pentatonics?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

If you learn the formula behind the scale and how it works i.e. the basic theory behind it, you can find out what notes are in that whatever harmonic minor key you want, it's a lot easier that way instead of memorizing bigass charts and things like that.
the first 2 scales i learned around the neck too a while to master, and i fooled around with those for a while, but then suddenly i recently learned 2 more in like 3 days i could improvise all over the neck with them. before it would take a long time. i think i just found my own method of learning them i cant understand
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by urik
k
what confuses me, is that when i learned the pentatonics, there were 5 different already made positions (the example in the 1st post shows 2 of em). so for other scales there aren't already made positions like in the pentatonics?

*bangs head against desk*

this scale has positions too. by the way, these positions are called modes.

this scale does have different positions. if you started at E5, that would be one position. if you start at E7, that's another position. it just LOOKS like it doesnt have positions because there are more notes than the pentatonic scale. oh, and because it's not circled like the first diagram. that's the only difference.
Quote by urik
1 year and 4 months. the only scale i know is the minor pentatonic and blues minor pentatonic. it's bad?

Personally, I think thats pretty bad

You should know the basic major and minor at the very least
Quote by altronataku
*bangs head against desk*

this scale has positions too. by the way, these positions are called modes.

this scale does have different positions. if you started at E5, that would be one position. if you start at E7, that's another position. it just LOOKS like it doesnt have positions because there are more notes than the pentatonic scale. oh, and because it's not circled like the first diagram. that's the only difference.

k thank you. i think that i got it.
and im gonna listen to the humans of this forum and learn TEH THEORY
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by GiantRaven
Personally, I think thats pretty bad

You should know the basic major and minor at the very least

i had been playing with the pentatonics like for half a year. actually, more than half a year. how much time after learning the pentatonics you learned a more advanced scale?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
i had been playing with the pentatonics like for half a year. actually, more than half a year. how much time after learning the pentatonics you learned a more advanced scale?

there's no set time.

just learn scales whenever you can. there's no requiered level of guitar playing to learn a certain scales. they're all just scales.
well even though i made fun of myself and now everyone here thinks im a n00b, thank you. you really helped me
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Don't look for patterns. Memorise the notes on the fretboard, and memorize the notes in the scale.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by urik
if i knew the natural minor that'd help

Buddy you gotta have complete understanding of the minor scale(know where all notes are in all positions) till you tackel more complex scales. It's like trying to learn the melodic minor after playing a month
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
the way i learn scles is like what altronataku aid, you learn the "Box Pattern" which for the A harmonic minor in tab would be like this:
e------------------------------------4-5--------------
B-------------------------------5-6-------------------
G-----------------------4-5-7------------------------
D------------------6-7-------------------------------
A----------5-7-8-------------------------------------
E--5-7-8---------------------------------------------

It starts with the root note (a) so you can play that pattern in any key. For intance if you are playing g just move all those number down 2 steps and i will start on g (3rt fret low e string.

one you learn that then you can start learning it on one string so in A you learn it as

A-0-2-3-5-7-8-11-12-14-15-17-19-20-(23)-(24)

the last 2 are for if you have that many frets

so now you can play it in the key of E A D G and B

the last step is to find the relationship between note, instead of knowing frets, know changes. The harmonic minor had these changes: whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, half step, step and a half, half step.

so one you know that and your playing you know your on the 5th not of the scale so you know that 1 fret up is the sixth note and 2 frets down is the fourth note, so on and so forth. once you can always know where you are in the scale, you can play the scale however you want.
I just remember that the A harmonic minor scale is A B C D E F G#. It's just the minor scale but with the seventh raised half a tone.
Page 1 of 2