Page 1 of 4
I hope I don't get ripped apart for posting such a generic thread, but I've been browsing the recent posts in the Metal Forum, and it doesn't seem like doom metal gets much love here.

So discuss...

My favorite bands are Sunn O))), diSEMBOWELMENT, Wormphlegm, Earth, Draconian, and some stoner doom bands like high on fire and sleep
haha speaking of generic your name has dirge in it, which im sorry to break it to you, but is probably the most overused word in doom metal. you could tell you like doom metal immediately from your username, and "awaits the silent empire" confirms it further. i dont know if those are from anything, they are just dirge-y/mournful/solemn/and other doomy things

i too like diSEMBOWELMENT and wormphlegm, but i really only like funeral doom, i dont like drone or stoner or other variants etc.

add shape of despair, comatose vigil, and catacombs for my list
Quote by BlkGuitarRedCar
I am glad to see that you hate everyone and not just Christians.
Eh, I find doom metal in general isnt very popular, everyone seems to enjoy blistering fast music usually. I love doom though.
Draconian
Wormphlegm
Swallow The Sun
November's Doom
High On Fire
Down
Kyuss
All FTW
It's strange, I never thought I'd do it, but I'm getting more and more into Doom. I never really found it very attractive at first, but it's kind of grown on me...
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Bleh, I wouldn't have said any of the bands mentioned were doom in my book but there you go.
Anyone with any interest in the current Doom Metal scene needs to listen to Reverend Bizarre, The Gates of Slumber, and Warning.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Listen to Sightless

Texas has done it again!!!!!!! Sad as hell I discovered this band like 2 months ago.
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
I'm mostly into stoner and sludge.

Favorites: Down, Sleep, Electric Wizard, Bongzilla, Kyuss, High On Fire, Cathedral, Acid Bath,Boris, Iron Monkey, Eyehategod, Neuorsis

The occaisional Funeral and Death/Doom is alright too, My Dying Bride, Ahab, Thegotheron, Wormphlegm, Senthil.

Oh yeah and Momuments to Sorrow is pretty sweet too
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
lololoooloolol

doom metal is like very "un-technical"
and you said you like technical music
Quote by Bmm386
"I cut my own penis off and ate it"

pinkowitz.net - another /b/ forum (help it grow)
Quote by antoniobanderas
lololoooloolol

doom metal is like very "un-technical"
and you said you like technical music

rofl, try playing at a tempo of like 5 in time
Quote by garden of grey
rofl, try playing at a tempo of like 5 in time

lololol
roflcopetr

we listened to my dying bride and it was like this

dumdumdumdumdumdudmudmdumdumdumd
dudmummdummdummdumdumdumudmudmdumudmdudumdumdudmumdumduudmu

dededededededededededumdudmudmmdudmuudmudmudmd

rly slow chord progressions lolollololool
Quote by Bmm386
"I cut my own penis off and ate it"

pinkowitz.net - another /b/ forum (help it grow)
Quote by antoniobanderas
lololol
roflcopetr

we listened to my dying bride and it was like this

dumdumdumdumdumdudmudmdumdumdumd
dudmummdummdummdumdumdumudmudmdumudmdudumdumdudmumdumduudmu

dededededededededededumdudmudmmdudmuudmudmudmd

rly slow chord progressions lolollololool

That is thrash compared to some other shit lol
Quote by Ellionte
Down is the shit. Phil Anselmo can kick all of your asses.

Yeah...too bad Down is actually the exact opposite of doom metal.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
i like the stuff like Shape of Despair, and iv'e heard of Kyuss but after a while of listening to all of the doom and funeral stuff it just gets depressing, i don't really know how to explain it. Basically, i can't handle if for long periods of time
I love Epicus Doomicus Metallicus. And Ahab. And Woods of Ypres. And some Cathedral here and there.
I've found Jesus
My fav. is Ahab, Call of the Wretched Sea was the first album that actually made me give a sh1t about the genre in the first place.
Man, Doom is teh greatest. Novembers Doom, WINTER!,CandleMass and My Dying Bride FTW!!!
I heard that Justin Greaves is out of Electric Wizard, does anyone else know anything about this?

/attempt to start discussion

/is amazed only 7 doom bands have been mentioned in entire thread

Quote by chylde_of_fire
I heard that Justin Greaves is out of Electric Wizard, does anyone else know anything about this?

/attempt to start discussion

/is amazed only 7 doom bands have been mentioned in entire thread

Woah, I haven't heard that.

I'm into a bit of Doom - Cathedral, Candlemass, Electric Wizard, Bongzilla, Sleep, High on Fire, Witchcraft, Witchfinder Genneral, Novembers Doom, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, October Tide blah blah blah
Aaah, I forgot My Dying Bride!

Who's listened to Daylight Dies here? F*ucking wonderful songs.
Yeah, I listen to some Doom. Very good stuff, but I'll have to check out more. I'd say my favorite from that genre so far is Novembers Doom or Katatonia.
Quote by masterofmuppets
lol Katatonia are emo now eh? If so it's the best emo I've have ever heard in my life.

Agreed.
"Katatonia" is ratehr a misnomer these days, as the band sounds more like "Katatoolia". Seems every band wants to be like Maynard and Co., I just don't see the appeal.

Stoner doom sucks.

Funeral doom > you.
see the sig
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by Spynal
Stoner doom sucks.

I find it ironic that what is refered to as Stoner Doom often has absolutely zilch to do with Stoner music. I once saw Reverend Bizarre being called Stoner, ugh.

Not that I have anything against Stoner Metal or Stoner Rock, far from it in fact, but it should never be mixed up with Doom Metal.

Last edited by chylde_of_fire at Jan 17, 2007,
stoner doom? stoner doom? stoner doom? What the hell man
A warriors hand and a wizards mind to wield.
*insert bandlist, favorite albums, the more underground the better and more elite I am*

I think post rock complements doom very, very well.
"Katatonia" is ratehr a misnomer these days, as the band sounds more like "Katatoolia". Seems every band wants to be like Maynard and Co., I just don't see the appeal.

Stoner doom sucks.

Funeral doom > you.
see the sig

hahahahaha you used the word dirge for your sig, as the word dirge seems more appropriate for funeral tools, in the sense of being a device to be used, not the band tool. seems like every funeral doom fan wants to throw the word dirge around, i just dont see the appeal

the word dirge sucks

requiem > dirge
see my first post
Quote by BlkGuitarRedCar
I am glad to see that you hate everyone and not just Christians.
Quote by masterofmuppets
I wouldn't really consider newer Katatonia releases as doom though. Only their older stuff like Dance of December Souls and Brave Murder Day

Yeah I know, but seeing they are accepted as a Doom band in Metal music even with 2 Doom albums, I don't see any harm done. *shrugs*

and Mike, I like their new stuff, even if you call it Emo lol.
Draconian
Sunn O)))
Monuments to sorrow
I have probably forgotten a few bands, but yeah, I like som doom once in a while.

Also Senthil (spelling?)
</IMO>
Quote by Spynal

I can't say I see the Tool in them.

Anyway, Monolithe.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Page 1 of 4