ok I know that metronomes play a certain amount of beats in 1 minute... i know that there is a time signature which is 3 or 4, more, etc beats in 1 entire note... i know about quarter, half, 16th, whole notes etc, but i still cant figure out how to use a metronome, like if i want to play this at "60 BPM" (I still dont understand what 60 BPM is in relationship to a guitar)

e----------
B----------
G----------
D----------
A----------
E-1-2-3-4

so yea... right now a metronome just seems like a little thing that goes tick tick tick, and thats about it.... i see ppl doing exercises and they are like this is 1,2,3,4 at 60 BPM, and then is 1,2,3,4 at 120 BPM, i dont understand how they can play something a certain speed and say its a certain BPM, it just doesnt make sense to me
a metronome kinda gives you the rythm, the tick tick tick is like counting 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 etc.

if you wanna play that on 60BPM, set your metronome on 60BPM (how obvious :p), which means 60 beats per minute...then play like 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 etc. every tick = one fret

hope this short explaination was good enough =/
Just another guitar addicted
BPM (Beats per minute) is the speed it clicks at. The number of clicks in a measure is dependent upon your time signature. Standard, or common time 4/4; meaning there are four beats per measure. Likewise 3/4 and 2/4 mean that there are three and two beats a measure respectively. (there are more complicated time signatures like 6/8 but I won't go into that.)

Now, if a song is in 4/4 that means there are four quarter notes per measure and if you're playing strait quarter notes each will be played in time with the clicking. If the measure were strait 8th notes then you would play two notes per click.

If a measure were to be something like two quarter notes and four 8th notes (4 8th notes make 2 quarter notes, so the measure still totals to 4 quarter notes) then it would be played quarter, quarter, 8th, 8th, 8th, 8th.

Guitar tabs generally only have the notes with little telling you the speed of the notes because it's intended that you will pick up the speed and rhythm of the notes by ear.
DRM, it's killing music.
now there you have an awesome explaination
Just another guitar addicted
Quote by shellshock1911
ok I know that metronomes play a certain amount of beats in 1 minute... i know that there is a time signature which is 3 or 4, more, etc beats in 1 entire note... i know about quarter, half, 16th, whole notes etc, but i still cant figure out how to use a metronome, like if i want to play this at "60 BPM" (I still dont understand what 60 BPM is in relationship to a guitar)

Ok, so,

a 1/4 note you'd play at EVERY tick of the metronome.
an 1/8 note you'd play 2 notes per tick (one note on the tick and one in between)
a 1/16 note you'd play 4 notes per tick
an 1/8 note triplet you'd play 3 notes per tick

That's the basic ones, but there's lots more.

As you may be able to tell, "BPM" isn't really a reflection of your playing speed without
also knowing the type of notes you're playing.
We should invent up a new term, NPM=Notes per minute (or even second?) which would tell you straight away how fast you are playing