Ok well basically, I tend to generally adopt a heavier style of playing. So how heavy can the YCV50 go, if maybe I used a Maxon Ts-9? I know for the heavier stuff the Peavey owns, but I am not sure I can sacrifice versatility for the Peavey's brutality. I also play classic rock and do some stuff needing cleans and it is for that reason that I might have to go with the Traynor. So basically - how heavy can it get, and when it gets heavy is the ditortion usable, or does it become a mess at higher gains? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Cool, but how overdriven can it get before it turns to mush, or just gets really harsh?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

i have never heard Traynor and Harsh in the same post.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
^lol, Well what I meant was - you know that sound you get when someone tries to overdrive a Fender into metal territory (I heard a guy try this once). Does the Traynor end up sounding like that? Or for the people who have never heard that........just imagine. Hmm, well I am thinking if I did get the 5150 I might get the guy at FJA Mods to mod it for me so I could get a usable clean tone. I guess I should check and see how much that it going to cost me. Any other suggestions?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

The 5150 clean tone isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Its true that the clean is sub-par at a terribly low volume, ETC, but if you play with the eq settings and have it at at least 2-3 on the master it is definitely useable. Sure, its no fender, but it gives most other amplifiers a run for their money.

The only problem with the clean is that its a bit stale, and like its distortion, isn't nearly as good at a low volume. The cold bias and the fact its 120w is probably the cause of the 'meh' tone at that range.

The FJA mod doesn't really effect the clean too much and basically he'd probably suggest a bias and a tube change. There isn't much more you can do without altering the amps tone while distorted.

I'd take the 5150 in a heartbeat. It's got its Distortion and Crunch down pact and the cleans are only marginal. On another note I'd rather run a chorus or reverb on cleans (something most people do anyway) than run a distortion/OD on a distortion channel to get a high gain tone.
I have the YCV and there is no way on this earth that it can match the gain of 5150 even with a boost or overdrive. But....i can dial in a fairly decent metal tone with the gain almost maxed(significantly lower tho when im jamming with a drummer..cause the noise is terrible when your not playing but thats a given) and my SD-1 on with the drive basically at 0. This just kinda cleans up the gain and its gives it some more high end whereas without the overdrive the maxed out distortion is very bassy and kinda muddy.

Basically its not meant to be a really high gain amp but if you tweak with the settings and everything you CAN pull off a fairly decent metal tone
Rig:
Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Red
Fender Highway One Strat w/ 2 Seymour Duncan Hot Rails & Dimarzio X2N

Boss SD-1
Boss TU-2
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Yeah I am not talking about trying to a a metal tone out of the YCV - its not made for that. I was just wondering how much gain it could pull before the tone goes down the tubes.

^Yeah I heard a clip of a guy who put turned up the gain, and it started to sound all muddy, but I had no idea if that was just because he had EQ'd it wrong, say with far too much bass. Thanks.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

I just tried a 6505+ and I didn't like it. It just wasn't my style. Way too dark, thin, and fizzy.
Dude just get the 5150II/6505+ so you can eq each channel. I can make cleans sound good with an Emg 85! You could definately do it with passive pups. The 5150 was the best gear purchase I ever made. It can handle any kind of gain in my opinion, and as stated the cleans are fine.
That loser shit's right out the window!
Quote by metal Lover
I just tried a 6505+ and I didn't like it. It just wasn't my style. Way too dark, thin, and fizzy.

dark, yes, very much so. Fizzy, yeah, especially at low volumes.

But thin?
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by invisible_man
dark, yes, very much so. Fizzy, yeah, especially at low volumes.

But thin?

Okay maybe thin is not the right word
Hmmm - fizzy at low volumes - sounds like i will be needing a hotplate or something for recording in the studio and for just jamming at home. Obviously all tube amps sound better cranked, but then there are some that just NEED to be cranked to get a good tone at all. I guess this is one of them - thanks for the info.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Thin is not even close to the right word
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude