Does anyone know which pickup Page typically used?
I think he primarily used the trebel however when he solos I noticed he is sometimes on rythem? So does he use trebel and then rythem for solos, or did he switch and use trebel for some songs and rythem for others? To me it sounds like he uses the same pickup throughout stairway to heven [electric part only but especially on BBC session] so what do you think he is using there?
most of the time treble and some solos (not all he switches to rhythm).

for instance when i play dazed and confused i play it with treble but then switch it to rhythm at the solo, sounds perfect to me.

stairway to heaven uses treble the whole way.

any other songs your wondering about
*Spec. Edition Lite Ash Fender Telecaster
*Peavey 6506
*Marshall 1960A Vintage
*Maton EA80C
*Original Jim Dunlop Cry baby
On the stairway solo on the record hes using a telecaster on its bridge pickup. that shatters some people perspectives of him there if you didnt know he used telecasters already......
Like any good guitarist, he used both. Heartbreaker sounds like the middle position through most of it, Black Dog is all bridge pickup.

Listen to something like Bring it on home, where you can clearly hear the switch from pickups.
Quote by italyjerry
On the stairway solo on the record hes using a telecaster on its bridge pickup. that shatters some people perspectives of him there if you didnt know he used telecasters already......

Yeah he used strats on all of the albums but the first 3 or 4 too.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Yeah he used strats on all of the albums but the first 3 or 4 too.

teles are different to strats. He used teles.

Heartbreaker was done with a Tele aswell.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
teles are different to strats. He used teles.

Heartbreaker was done with a Tele aswell.

He used strats as well, ill find the site w/ all the stuff he used on each album and post it in a sec.
EDIT: Ahah here we go, http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gear/led_zeppelin/
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
He used strats as well, ill find the site w/ all the stuff he used on each album and post it in a sec.
EDIT: Ahah here we go, http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gear/led_zeppelin/

Touche, my bad. I thought you just meant tele when you said strat.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
He also used a Tele for the Stairway solo, with some small noname amp.

Bring it on Home is a classic example of how Jimmy's tone changes.
it seems like he always preformed with lp's [or gibsons in general] but tened to record with tele's or strats, it seems a little odd to me, you'd think he'd be more consistant, either liking one or the other, or using both all the time.
Yeah in his Zeppelin days he used his Les Paul's and used the dbouleneck SG for songs like Stairway.

In his Yardbird days you can see him use a Tele though.
I still can't see how he got that tone for Blackdog, It's crazy.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

It's Jimmy Page. Simple as that
Quote by Jinskee

Try a clone of the MKII tonebender and you'll stop wondering. Nobody on this site seems to realize that's where his tone comes from. The Fulltone Soulbender is veeery close to that tone.
i think the best Page tone was in either Achilles Last Stand, Ten Years Gone, or Kashmir.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I agree Doodleface, Achilles Last Stand and Ten Years Gone are the pinnacle of Page.
Quote by TJM2482
He also used a Tele for the Stairway solo, with some small noname amp.

Bring it on Home is a classic example of how Jimmy's tone changes.

he used a small supro combo amp, ive played one at a vintage guitar shop and almost bought it, they sound aweome, but the $1500 price tag was a little much.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by TJM2482
The Black Dog tone sounds like it has some slight fuzz on it.

Same as how I heard it.

I thought he put some extra fuzz onto his tone somehow.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by FrenchBread
it seems like he always preformed with lp's [or gibsons in general] but tened to record with tele's or strats, it seems a little odd to me, you'd think he'd be more consistant, either liking one or the other, or using both all the time.

It could be the looks of LP's. I mean i cantt really see a guy doing thrashing solos w/ a tele but who knows. It could also be that when they were in the studio they werent playing as loud and the guitars he was using got good tones at lower volumes because i have heard that gibsons sound better when theyre loud which is generally how theyre ment to be played but then again im just guessing.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
i think it was mainly because single coils are noisy as hell when you crank them through a huge high powered stack like he did live, and when he recorded in the studio he used low powered combo amps so he didnt have to worry about it so much.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Jinskee
Same as how I heard it.

I thought he put some extra fuzz onto his tone somehow.

He was using a fuzz pedal for god's sake!
See my first post in this thread.
Quote by Roc8995
He was using a fuzz pedal for god's sake!
See my first post in this thread.

I was stating on what IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII thought it would have been.

edit: tone is still pretty leet, I must admit.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Well i did a rig about Jimmy Page about a 9 months ago, it's in the Arichive in the Celebrity Rigs thread. Anyway. He used a Tele all the way on the first album. IT went into his Supro Coronado amp and Tonebender fuzz. The Tonebender is a "big" part in his sond, atleast on some songs. On Black Dog he played his LP into a compressor and then into the mixing table. There are also about five guitars on it and it has loads of overdubs. That gives it it's fat tone.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009