alright so i got a gut and im working to get rid of it during the winter. i can't do too much about my diet but im gonna to start doing some exercises. im starting tomorrow. Im going to do some stuff like crunches, that ab exercise called the bicycle, and stuff like that. After that im going to run on the treadmill I just don't know how long. About a mile and a half or so. Then when im done with that go back and do some more ab exercises. would this be an effective workout? Would it get rid of the gut in about 1 - 2 months if i do that about 3 times a week or so? I will also be doing some misc. ab machies when i go to the gym.
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
up the 1.5 miles i say... not sure what it is in miles, but you should probably do around 4km
Leader of The Mighty Powermetal Brethren. PM me to join.

ALL HAIL DYSTOPIA!!!

Angry Mob
Contrary to popular belief, situps dont shift stomach fat. They just make it muscly underneath. So if you want a sixpack after you have shifted the gut then do that, but if you just want to slim it down do all cardiovascular. Going for at least 8 mins on the treadmill for fat burn.
Originally posted by Meths
You need serious amounts of therapy.

Quote by jagstang270
One should not try to masturbate while Dragoneforce is in the background
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
Just keep working it, but don't forget to take at least a day of rest per week.

Maybe like, work 2 days, stop for a day, work 2 days, stop for a day etc. or something, obviously you have to apply it to your lifestyle.

Exercises, sit ups, crunches, like you mentioned, one I don't know the name of, though it MIGHT be called "the plank". Lay on your back and lift your feet six inches up off the floor and hold them there steady for as long as possible, keep repeating. Or alternatively lift your feet up and down slowly instead of just holding them.

And also, people claim that just moving your stomach about works the muscles and contributes a bit, dunno if it's true or not...

EDIT:

The guy above me is right, sit ups (nor "the plank") will reduce the body fat, but will build muscle. To just lose fat, get running, a mile a day or something.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Keep the gut for winter to keep you warm buddy, work it off in the summer
i might want some ab muscle showing but not necessiarly a six pack. im just doing the ab exercises to get rid of the fat.
Quote by A_New_Level
i might want some ab muscle showing but not necessiarly a six pack. im just doing the ab exercises to get rid of the fat.

Thats what I'm saying, you cant target an area of fat to lose by working the muscles around it, it burns equally off around the body. Otherwise you could do 1000 situps a day and have a sixpack but weigh 500lbs and have an arse you dont need to bend you knees to sit down on.

Quote by jagstang270
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
Quote by Lord_Xian
have a sixpack but weigh 500lbs and have an arse you dont need to bend you knees to sit down on.

i work out nearly everyday and have been doin for a few years, search for fat loss on this website www.bodybuilding.com don't be put off by the title if ur not into bodybuilding but it will give u all the info u need to lose fat and get a six pack look.
ab exercises, NONE of them will help u get rid of the fat. it will build the muscle underneath. its still good to do teh crunches, plank etc...but lie some otehr popel said it wont do nothin to cut that gut off. if all you want to do is trim down, and your not skinny, then go ahead and just do cardio, but if ur looking for definittion everywere and u are skinny, forget abotu cardio, eat as much as you can and hit the weights. then coem spring, cardio, and dieting
edit: simon got it, bodybuilding.com is the bible for anything fitness
I got a Ab lounge for no reason i can kinda see a difference
My Gear: For sale/trade:
Epi Les Paul Custom SPF I-5 delay
Fender Jazzmaster MXR 1O band EQ
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
so i shouldnt do any ab exercises till i get rid of the fat first?
Quote by A_New_Level
i can't do too much about my diet

ehhhhhhhhhh???????????? why not? anyone can do anything about their diet...or can they?
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
how big of a "gut" are we talking about? if its just a little fat, and be honest with yourself (it really is a big part of losing weight), then i would run a lot and do situps/cruches/whatever. i have a really strong core (from karate and weight lifting), but i also have fat overtop of it. just because u have fat, it doesnt mean that you arent strong or fit.

also, run/walk outside as much as possible. i can knock out 3-4 miles on a treadmill easily, on an actual track though it is entirely different (you dont have the moving floor beneath you).
well for lunch at school i just eat w/e. usually pizza, burgers, etc. and i just eat whatever my mom makes for dinner. i dont eat breakfast.
Quote by JewMasatFlex
how big of a "gut" are we talking about? if its just a little fat, and be honest with yourself (it really is a big part of losing weight), then i would run a lot and do situps/cruches/whatever. i have a really strong core (from karate and weight lifting), but i also have fat overtop of it. just because u have fat, it doesnt mean that you arent strong or fit.

it is relativly big lol but im not fat or anything. i got to the gym several times a week. i've been going for over a year. im strong and stuff but i always work my arms, back, check and stuff and never did anything about my abs or anything. its now getting to annoy me and i want to get rid of it.
Eat breakfast it will speed up your metabolism and work your gut off for you.

Quote by jagstang270
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
Quote by A_New_Level
well for lunch at school i just eat w/e. usually pizza, burgers, etc. and i just eat whatever my mom makes for dinner. i dont eat breakfast.

does you school have anything remotely healthy? try and buy a salad or something ever think of that? you should eat breakfast even if its only a granola bar or something and a glass of orange juice, or have an egg its better than nothing. and as long as your mom isn't making fried chicken and mac and cheese you should be fine
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
Quote by A_New_Level
so i shouldnt do any ab exercises till i get rid of the fat first?

No, just make sure that you don't ONLY do ab exercises.

Go running every day. Start off with twenty minutes. It doesn't matter how far you go. Just remember to push yourself. Soon, you'll notice an improvement. Running burns fat from all over your body. If there are some problem areas like your chest or abs, you should do some isolating exercises. Leg lifts are good for your lower abs. Pilates are great for your entire midsection.