I have a problem. I like to play a lot of covers of metal songs (e.g. Machine Head etc), which requires me to put my guitar in drop B tuning. Only trouble is, my high E string can't take the downtuning, and it's always snapping.

I use Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies - the E is a .12 gauge string. It says on the packet "Ideal for drop tuning", but if I put my E into a C# more than a few times, it can't take it, and snaps. I put on a fresh set of Slinkies only a month ago, and since then I've had to replace the high E string three times.

It's getting to be a bit of a piss-take. I can't stop drop-tuning, as I'm in a band that plays songs like the aforementioned Machine Head songs, and they want me in B. I also play a lot of songs in standard tuning, so it's not as if I could leave my guitar in B tuning.

Any suggestions? Should I buy thicker strings or just stick with the ones I've got? Is there a way of keeping my strings from snapping, so they can deal with the drop-tuning?

Fellow UGers, I need your help. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and by the way, I use FastFret on my strings every day to keep them clean and fresh, so it's not as if it's a rust problem. Thanks.
Yes. It's a sig. Get over it.

www.myspace.com/maddo69

Yes. It's my rig. Get over it.
Ibanez Apex 2.
ESP F-100FM.
Tanglewood Odyssey.
Boss GT-8 Guitar Effects Pedal.
Marshall MG100HDFX w/ AVT412X cab.
Sounds like your guitar is breaking them.
Doesn't look like the strings.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Could be...it is pretty old and knackered. I'm hopefully getting a new one on Saturday, you think that'll solve it?
Yes. It's a sig. Get over it.

www.myspace.com/maddo69

Yes. It's my rig. Get over it.
Ibanez Apex 2.
ESP F-100FM.
Tanglewood Odyssey.
Boss GT-8 Guitar Effects Pedal.
Marshall MG100HDFX w/ AVT412X cab.
Quote by metalhead_maddo
Could be...it is pretty old and knackered. I'm hopefully getting a new one on Saturday, you think that'll solve it?

maybe what kind do you have now?
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah