I just got a new ampeg amp and I am curious how much I can push it. I got the Ampeg B2RE Head (450watts rms) and an Ampeg B410 HE cab (200watts rms). I don't want to blow the speakers and all so I am asking how much I can push the cab before one of the speakers blow?
well, considering you got an amp with twice the wattage of the cab, not far.

EDIT: excuse me, OVER twice the wattage.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Jan 16, 2007,
Lets say I do blow a speaker, how much will it cost me to replace it? and would I be able to get a speaker with more wattage capability?
well, i suggest returning that cab and getting another one with higher wattage. do a search here for custom cab building, it'll learn you all you need to know about speakers and their limitations.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
well, considering you got an amp with twice the wattage of the cab, not far.

EDIT: excuse me, OVER twice the wattage.

Don't listen to this guy.

The important issue is the load on the amplifier head. The cabinet is rated at 200W at 8 ohms impedance. The amplifier is rated at 250W when powering an 8 ohm cabinet. Basically so long as you don't turn the amp all the way up and play hard it shouldn't be an issue. You can hear when a speaker is being pushed to it's limits, so try it out at home and see how loud you can sensibly turn it up. It's common for an amp to be rated higher than the cabinet it was designed for which is why combos often have a higher output power with an extension cabinet than without.

This would become less of an issue were you to add another cabinet in the future, by the way.