Alright so i went to the pawn shop today and picked up a fender precision for $215 (good deal no?) is in good condition except for some chips, and the strings are a little dirty. no prob, ill fix it. but anyways, its my first bass, i own 4 guitars, play bass at school and im pretty good. i have a marshall AVT 100X and some 15 watt amp that came with my strat copy. no bass amp whatsoever. my questions are, does using a bass through a guitar amp wreck the amp at all? and if not then what are good settings for it?
search button is your friend, n00b.

otherwise, it depends. my friend runs his bass through his 15w and it sounds like absolute crap. i run my bass through my 30w and it sounds fine. keep it turned down under half volume and stop if it sounds "farty." if you're using a clean channel and it sounds farty, you'll know it. set all the EQs to neutral and tweak it till it sounds good. oh, and no distortion. 1) distortion+bass=dumb and 2) on-board distortion will make your amp cry with a bass.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by TorturedSoul666
HAHAHAHA! Go listen to some Motorhead.

Indeed! Or Metallica for that matter.

But seriously now. If you value your guitar amp I'd avoid playing bass through it unless you really don't have the option. On the other hand, guitar through a bass amp sounds great.
Quote by TorturedSoul666
HAHAHAHA! Go listen to some Motorhead.

this from the guy with three b.c. rich's...*shakes head*

let me rephrase that: if you'd use it on your guitar for a metal song, no. otherwise, okay.

fuzz+bass=yay
chorus+bass=yay
flanger+bass=yay

*suddenly that red stripe beer guy comes along*

"Boo distorted bass! Hooray other effects!"
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n

What's so bad about BC Rich? I've got a wide variety of gear.
Quote by t3hrav3n

otherwise, it depends. my friend runs his bass through his 15w and it sounds like absolute crap. i run my bass through my 30w and it sounds fine. keep it turned down under half volume and stop if it sounds "farty." if you're using a clean channel and it sounds farty, you'll know it. set all the EQs to neutral and tweak it till it sounds good. oh, and no distortion. 1) distortion+bass=dumb and 2) on-board distortion will make your amp cry with a bass.

if you read above, i play out of a marshall AVT100X..... no EQ, it has clean channel (which im using) OD1, OD2, scoop (basically brighter tone) for each channel, the standard bass, middle, treble, has presence, and if i used effects has (#'s 1-3 halls decay time, 4-6 rooms decay time, 7-9 plates decay time, 10 reverb, 11 is chorus, 12 is flange, 13 is delay, 14 is chorus/room, 15 is ch/dly/room, and 16 is modulation) the effects 1-9 are really nice with it. and the effects have an effect loop knob, DFX mix, and an adjust.

Edit: i do listen to hard rock, grunge, punk and rock. judging by what your all saying, i think ill buy a bass amp when i get some more cash. any idea what kind though? preferrably tube. i was thinking a fender rumble, but if anyone has any suggestions as of what to get then please say. i wont use peavey though, im no big fan of their amps.. preferrably fender, marshall, ampac (i think its called) or roland (if theres any good ones) but hell, im not the bass expert, so help me!!! lmfao
Last edited by jincasa at Jan 17, 2007,
1) Tubes + Guitar = sex on the beach. Tubes + Bass = sex on the beach with an elephant up your butt. (tubes are really heavy in a bass amp and it isn't the same comparitively as a guitar tube amp.

2) Fender Rumble is a great amp at least the 100 watt version anyway. A great little intermidiate amp.

3) It's ampeG
yea lol, my bad. i knew it was am something.

ill listen to what jazz_rock_feel said and get a solid state bass amp
...................anyone wanna tell me some good bass amps and help me here?
Quote by t3hrav3n

let me rephrase that: if you'd use it on your guitar for a metal song, no. otherwise, okay.

fuzz+bass=yay
chorus+bass=yay
flanger+bass=yay

*suddenly that red stripe beer guy comes along*

"Boo distorted bass! Hooray other effects!"

Listen to some Ben Folds Five, namely kate or army and you'll realise bass distortion is shecksy
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by t3hrav3n

otherwise, it depends. my friend runs his bass through his 15w and it sounds like absolute crap. i run my bass through my 30w and it sounds fine. keep it turned down under half volume and stop if it sounds "farty." if you're using a clean channel and it sounds farty, you'll know it. set all the EQs to neutral and tweak it till it sounds good. oh, and no distortion. 1) distortion+bass=dumbd 2) on-board distortion will make your amp cry with a bass.

...cliff burton uses distortion and wah
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun
Quote by jincasa
...................anyone wanna tell me some good bass amps and help me here?

so yeah about THAT
^well what kinda money you willing to spend?

And really just use the search button for bass amps cause theres billions and billions of threads for them
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun