I don't know how to switch between clean and distorted without walking over and pressing the gain button. Is there anyway to do this without buying an effects pedal?

In other words, do some amps come with pedals to toggle the clean channel or is it separate?

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 50w or so and don't wanna look like an idiot in the store asking this question. I'm only asking because the description on the amp I want says something like "clean to distorted at the pressing of a foot" or something... and confused me.

Anyway, thanks ahead of time.

EDIT
- since I'm on the topic, can someone recommend me a solid 50-100w SS amp (not Marshall) that can handle metal so I can play small gigs, I know there are threads on this and whatnot, but I figured I'd add it to my question. I know about guitars, just not much about amps... trying to fix that problem...
Last edited by revan1013 at Jan 16, 2007,
Depends, if you have a small 15w, usually switches wont be avalible...at least not for my Marshall 15. But if you do go to 50w, the pedals usually come with the amp. And also, I recommend the Marshall MG50 DFX. It's so niceeeee
Yes, there are footpedals that come with certain amps so that you can switch between the amp channels without getting up. You can also buy one if your amp has the right hookups.
Comes with? Cool.
Marshall... I've heard so many horror stories I'd be worried about risking that much cash since I'll be matching my future guitar's price ($500-800) on it.

What about your Marshall makes it worth the risk? I'm actually serious, I've never run my axe out of a Marshall.
it should have come with a footswitch. in which case check on the back if it has a footswitch socket and go buy a two button one for dirt cheap somewhere.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Quote by revan1013
Comes with? Cool.
Marshall... I've heard so many horror stories I'd be worried about risking that much cash since I'll be matching my future guitar's price ($500-800) on it.

What about your Marshall makes it worth the risk? I'm actually serious, I've never run my axe out of a Marshall.

you complete and utter FOOL! marshalls models that are higher than the avt and mg (nothing against them, there just generally less reliable) series are very reliable and SOUND AMAZING point made.

i'll correct myself, its generally marshall combos that sometimes contain faults, the heads and cabs are flawless.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Last edited by ArcherTheVMan at Jan 16, 2007,
i love marshall amps. some people hate them but ive never had a problem with them. i currently own an MG30DFX and an MG100HDFX. theyre very reliable and u can ACTUALLY turn the volume knob up past 3/4 way without breaking it (which is more than i can say for alot of amps ive store tested )
Thanks everyone for quick replies... keep em coming on recommendations... I'll need them. Healthy debate is good hehe.
Quote by J6strings21fret
I recommend the Marshall MG50 DFX. It's so niceeeee

im sorry but WTF!!!!!!

marshall ss amps are really bad. like to the point that a cat in a washing machine sounds like bliss

i had a marshall MG30DFX and within a week the power cable broke and the channel select switch broke a few months afterwards. they are seriously unreliable.

as for an SS amp thats between 50-100 watts thats good for metal, go for a roland cube 60. they are great for metal and you can get a footswitch for it to change between channels.

however you should really look into getting a used tube combo. because they will sound alot better than most SS amps out there. go and try something like a peavy 5150/6505 as they are probably your best bet. or a marshall DSL 401 and an overdrive pedal.

good luck amp hunting, but do stay away from any marshall SS amp

edit: check this out for your marshall stats https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504022
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Last edited by loki_lulamen at Jan 16, 2007,
If you're looking for a new amp in that range, you might as well try for an all tube amp. Trust me, it'll sound better.
NO MG's IF I CANT CONVINCE YOU THEN LOOK AT ALL THE BOARDS THATS THAT HAVE 4+ PAGES OF THEY SUCK ETC ETC. I AGREE WITH THE TUBECOMBO OR ROLAND CUBE
~My Gear~
ESP EX-50 (Dimarzio Steves Special in Bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Valveking 100
Boss TU-2
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Cry Baby From Hell
Squier Strat
How long can a used tube combo last? My dad instilled in me a healthy fear of used equipment. Bad habit.

Also, if you guys think that for small gigs (and maybe some travel) a 50w is too big, please say so. I may need to move this thing around at least once or twice crosscountry. Any recommendations on how to do that as well? Sorry for all the questions, but I keep thinking of things I'll need to do soon.
a used tube combo will last a lifetime if taken care of properly. my JCM800 is about 23 years old and still runs perfectly fine. just make sure it has been serviced/checked before you purchase it, because you dont want to pay decent money for a broken amp and then have to pay for repairs on top.

50watt SS is good enough for small gigs with a PA, but a 50 tube is about enough for large gig with no PA.

transport isnt really a problem with a combo, because they are never THAT big. and if you have a car, then you have no problems at all
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Really though? No PA with 50w TubeCombo? That'd be great. I knew tubes are generally better, but I really didn't think it'd be that much louder.

Thanks for all the help.
jsut buy a 15 watt tube combo, you can get a laney VC15. if the BRITISH give it good reviews, it must kick some serious ass. not to mention it comes with a Jensen speaker, and a footswitch can be bouth. it will cost total about 700 dollars (350 pounds), and you need a booster pedal for the metal sound, but the quality of it will become apparent and you will never look back. a good booster i have heard is the mxr micro amp, or That_Pink_Queen builds them cheap.

TUBE!
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Dont buy a MG or AVT marshall! they are the worst amps on the planet. go for a tube amp if you can afford it. the best solid state amp for metal would be a roland cube. ud need the 60 watt 4 gigs though.
>>Metal_Fretter<<

My gear:
Ibanez S470
Roland cube 30
Boss PW-10 v-wah
Marshall jackhammer
Quote by revan1013
I don't know how to switch between clean and distorted without walking over and pressing the gain button. Is there anyway to do this without buying an effects pedal?

USE THE VOLUME KNOB!

Just turn down your guitar's volume knob a tad, and hit the strings less hard, and there you go: clean.
if the BRITISH give it good reviews, it must kick some serious ass.

I like the way you capitalized that to make the impression that we are miserable hard to please twats.

Laney VC30
Laney LC30
Peavey Valveking
Peavey Classic 30
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Marshall DSL 401
Vox AC30

30 Watts will handle a small gig without PA fine.
Quote by revan1013
Really though? No PA with 50w TubeCombo? That'd be great. I knew tubes are generally better, but I really didn't think it'd be that much louder.

General rule of thumb is that a tube amp is as loud as a SS amp that's 2 - 2.5X more wattage (i.e.: a 40W tube amp is as loud as a 100W SS amp).

A 30W tube amp will be entirely gigable, and sound much better cranked than a 50 - 75W SS amp. I also vote for used gear every time. My main amp is over 20 years old and sounds/works great. I instill in my son the value of buying used! Just gotta do your research. Know your products and prices. With the internet at your fingertips, that's pretty damn easy. You'll get so much more for your money that way.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by beckyjc

if the BRITISH give it good reviews, it must kick some serious ass.

I like the way you capitalized that to make the impression that we are miserable hard to please twats.

Laney VC30
Laney LC30
Peavey Valveking
Peavey Classic 30
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Marshall DSL 401
Vox AC30

30 Watts will handle a small gig without PA fine.

Lol. We aren't we can just manage to form our own opinion on things.

Yeah all of those would be good, but the Peavey have reliability issues. Not as bad as behringer (sorry for bad spelling, but i can't be arsed to look how its spelt) the one it tired blew up after 5 mins on half power.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH