I was considering putting a few lines from a Dream Theater song (specifically the opening riff to Beyond this Life) into one of my songs as sort of a tribute to them.

My question: Is this legal as long as I give them credit for that part, or am I not allowed to do it unless I have written permission from them?
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
Don't worry lol. Just note that it is a huge tribute to them. They arent going to repo your house or anything lol.
Um, unless you plan to release it on a major record and they hear it, I think it's ok to play a few lines.
ಥ_ಥ
unless your selling the song massively no one will care

they may call you hack for stealing a dream theatre riff but tahts a whole new problem
Quote by LeoKhenir
I love you, Killer Bacon.
Quote by Lydian_Mode
I was considering putting a few lines from a Dream Theater song (specifically the opening riff to Beyond this Life) into one of my songs as sort of a tribute to them.

My question: Is this legal as long as I give them credit for that part, or am I not allowed to do it unless I have written permission from them?

i doubt that with all the music out there, there hasn't been a riff similar to that one that has already be played. I think u could easily do that, maybe a different key though.
Cool thank you all. What you said is what i though, but better be safe than sorry
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
Pretty sure it's fine as long as you don't plan on making money off of it and claiming that it's an original piece. =0
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Dream Theater - Octavarium. The second half of the song has James spouting out a long list of influences interconnected, albums, songs, people, bands... So I see no reason why there would be legal issues.

Cover songs aren't illegal either (yet). So go ahead.
naw nothing will happen vanilla ice got his from queen. Most of the time they only are concerned about the words. And thats bullshie especially legal issues over notes. more power too you though if you make a kick @$$ riff yourself
Keepa Cooli Baby at the shrine

PM HeartBreaker To Join Zeppelinism

Steey Dan Founding father

Bodhisattva wont you take me by the Hand?

Pm Caseguitar To Join the Steely Dan Club

Fender Armada #2 member Pm Arlabester to join