Can someone please tab out an example of a tritone for me? and tell me where it fits into the major or minor scale. thanks
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
The "tritone" is in Lydian and Locrian.

But in Lydian its considered a sharp 4th, there is a difference though.

An example would be playing a normal power chord with an octave, and then flattening out the 5th. The shap should be diagonal like
Quote by ouchies
The "tritone" is in Lydian and Locrian.

But in Lydian its considered a sharp 4th, there is a difference though.

An example would be playing a normal power chord with an octave, and then flattening out the 5th. The shap should be diagonal like

An augmented fourth or a diminished fith both qualify for the tritone.

The tritone refers to the interval that is its own inversion; it's played like this:

e|--|
b|--|
G|--|
D|2-|
A|1-|
E|0-|

Because it's an inversion of itself, it's extremely movable.
The tritone (or diminished fifth, or augmented fourth, whatever) occurs in the major scale between the fourth and the seventh degree (C major/ionian - F B), in the dorian mode betwen the third and sixth degree (D dorian - F B), in the phrygian mode between the second and fifth degree, in the lydian mode between the first and fourth degree, in the mixolydian mode between the seventh and third degree, in the aelonian mode between the sixth and second degree, and in the locrian mode between the fifth and first degree.

Just a friendly warning, tritones sound like complete and utter crap on their own (the technical term being disonnance) to the point where it was once banned by the church as it was believed to be of satanic origins.
how many notes are theyre in a tritone? 3 i would have guess but I see in alot of songs such as "black sabbath" by sabbath and "Am I Evil" by diamond head they use the tritone btu they use four notes.

Im pretty sure it can be found in the minor and major from what i have heard.

EDIT: ahhh ^^^ I See
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Last edited by Devon8822 at Jan 16, 2007,
I have a question about keys, while where on the topic of tritones I will use one in my example. Ok, say you are playing that tritone in "me2nik"s tab diagram. Would that be in the key of e, because its first note is e. or would it be in the key of whatever the key of the minor scale it fits into?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
Tritones are neither major or minor because it is between two perfect inteverals -- the perfect fifth and the perfect fourth. The tritone can consist of as little as two notes and as many as... infinite.

e|6|
b|5|
G|3|
D|2|
A|1|
E|0|

While physically impossible to play, this tritone consists of six notes and is the E tritone.
The same tritone expressed in two notes:

e|-|
b|-|
G|3|
D|2|
A|-|
E|-|

Three:

e|-|
b|5|
G|3|
D|2|
A|-|
E|-|

Etc.

EDIT: In response to your latest post, tritones are considered to be in whatever key the two notes of the tritones may fit in, although it is more accurate to consider the rest of the song when looking at tritones because tritones are often intentionally used out of key.
so how do you create a try tone. I pick a root what do I count up... and than how do i foudn out what scale its in?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
Yeah, I knew that and checked it out a while ago. THeres alot of great songs with them. I just want to learn how to use them, they just sound so damn evil.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
To make a tritone, take the root note and add three whole tones, or six semitones, or six frets.

C/F#, C#/G, D/Ab, Eb/A, E/Bb, F/B, F#/C, etc.

Each individual tritone belongs to one major and one minor scale; although I strongly recommend not trying to find out the key of an entire song based on a tritone, simply find the scale that the notes of the tritone belong to. In a major scale, because the tritone/Augmented fourth occurs at the 4th and thr 7th, look for the major scale which has a 4th and 7th that are the two notes you are playing in a tritone. In a minor scale, the tritone/augmented fourth occurs at the 2nd and 6th, so look for the minorr scale which has a 2nd and 6th that are the notes you are playing.
Last edited by Me2NiK at Jan 16, 2007,