alright so ive been playing guitar for like, i dont know like 7 months maybe? i dont know i dont feel like counting. but of course one of the first things anyone wants to get good at is face melting solos. i mean, i can sit there and just like wail on the fretboard and hit a bunch of notes realitively fast, but it doesnt flow, you know? its not music, its noise . so, anyone have any tips?

and please, dont be a douche and respond to this if you have nothing postive or helpful to say, because really that does no good to anyone, whatsoever.
Quote by rainingblood187
alright so ive been playing guitar for like, i dont know like 7 months maybe? i dont know i dont feel like counting. but of course one of the first things anyone wants to get good at is face melting solos. i mean, i can sit there and just like wail on the fretboard and hit a bunch of notes realitively fast, but it doesnt flow, you know? its not music, its noise . so, anyone have any tips?

and please, dont be a douche and respond to this if you have nothing postive or helpful to say, because really that does no good to anyone, whatsoever.

Go download the guitar pro version of eruption and learn it note for note.
umm my guitar teacher has me working on this penatonic scales thing. im not too bad at that. and idk what modes are. lol im still not familar with all the musical terminology yet...
Slowly try and write the notes out keeping in mind the sounds the notes make in relation to the root note? People who shred don't just hit random notes, they still have to write the music before the play it.
Quote by rainingblood187
umm my guitar teacher has me working on this penatonic scales thing. im not too bad at that. and idk what modes are. lol im still not familar with all the musical terminology yet...

haha eruption. u ever see dimebag play that?
Quote by rainingblood187

Yeah, you're an idiot.

It won't sound like music if you don't play in a key.
yeah the way to solo is you have to actually play in Key using scales and modes, the most basic scale is the pentatonic. Modes are like scales but they have a certain type of sound to them, like the phrygian mode has a flamenco quality. If you want it to sound good your going to have to learn scales, thats why it takes time, you can get your speed up real fast but if you dont know how to use it it means nothing.
Quote by rainingblood187

Work on the pentatonic, I've been playing over a year, and thats mostly what I use for improvisation.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Archaon
Yeah, you're an idiot.

It won't sound like music if you don't play in a key.

yes, i know im an idiot. that would be why im asking for help.

fuknut.
Learn all the notes on the fretboard better than you know your own genitalia. Then learn about keys in this fashion. Then start with slower solos, the gradually get to crazy penis gorging, kneelossening, Yngwie mongering solos that will destroy your soul.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
Quote by AssassinLoki090
Learn all the notes on the fretboard better than you know your own genitalia. Then learn about keys in this fashion. Then start with slower solos, the gradually get to crazy penis gorging, kneelossening, Yngwie mongering solos that will destroy your soul.

i can play most of the first master of puppets solo. the second one though is like, impossible. i cant even read along with it, let alone play it.

but yea if my guitar teacher would give me a different scale thing to work on i might get better, instead of playing the same one week after week...
The pentatonic is the most used scale in modern music. Ask him about major and minor scales, and learn them. Not just the fingerings, but the notes and intervals and such.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join