yo im lookin for a speaker that will over power my drums when i have band practice. my guitarist and bassist both have 75 watt amps and the pianist has a 60 watt. im lookin for a big speaker or amp that is loud and wont cost me alot of money.
Umm you dont need a new speaker you need a new amp that can dish out more volume. Your best bet would probably be a 212 or half stack.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Speakers are no good without amps and if your bassist only has a 75W SS then you wont need a hell of a lot to get over him.

What's your budget? What gear do have already? Where abouts are you buying it? What kinda music you into?
Get a 20 watt tube amp, more than you will ever need.

Say byebye to your pianist and bassist.
I'm not entirely sure what your asking for here, are you the guitarist with the 75W amp or the drummer?

Anyway, upgrading a speaker in an amp can have a huge effect on volume, in some cases doubling it. Its all to to with the sensitivity of the speaker, which is measured in dB.

Upgrading from a 97dB stock speaker to a new 100dB speaker will double the volume of the amp (3dB increase = double volume in a 1 speaker amp)
Quote by Axeman99

Anyway, upgrading a speaker in an amp can have a huge effect on volume, in some cases doubling it. Its all to to with the sensitivity of the speaker, which is measured in dB.

Upgrading from a 97dB stock speaker to a new 100dB speaker will double the volume of the amp (3dB increase = double volume in a 1 speaker amp)

No offense but that's just not correct. Going from 97 decibels to 100 is an increase of 3%, just like you'd expect.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgraymatt
No offense but that's just not correct. Going from 97 decibels to 100 is an increase of 3%, just like you'd expect.

yeah, it takes 2x the wattage to achieve a 3db increase, and 10 dbs to reach double the volume i think.
Quote by Charso
yeah, it takes 2x the wattage to achieve a 3db increase, and 10 dbs to reach double the volume i think.

That's true only on Tuesdays. Because of the way that the earth rotates, decibel-levels are higher on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Unless it's September, of course.

"it takes 2x the wattage to achieve a 3db increase, and 10 dbs to reach double the volume"? What are you guys smoking and may I please have some? Decibel increases work exactly like you'd think they would. A sound that is 30 decibels doubles in volume when it reaches 60 decibels. There is no wattage-to-volume formula that's set in stone. A 30-watt tube amp will measure much higher in decibels than a 30-watt ss amp. 2 30-watt tube amps can have differing maximum volumes depending on the differences between the amps and the tubes that are in them.

Maybe you guys are thinking about the 10-to-1 tube amp wattage-to-volume ratio. In other words, it takes ten times the tube wattage in order to double an amp's volume level. So, if you had a 100-watt tube amp and wanted one that was half as loud (when both amps are maxed out), you'd want a 10-watt tube amp, not a 50-watt tube amp. That's why when you see ads for 18 or 22-watt boutique tube amps that claim to be loud enough for use with a band, they actually are.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgraymatt
That's true only on Tuesdays. Because of the way that the earth rotates, decibel-levels are higher on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Unless it's September, of course.

"it takes 2x the wattage to achieve a 3db increase, and 10 dbs to reach double the volume"? What are you guys smoking and may I please have some? Decibel increases work exactly like you'd think they would. A sound that is 30 decibels doubles in volume when it reaches 60 decibels. There is no wattage-to-volume formula that's set in stone. A 30-watt tube amp will measure much higher in decibels than a 30-watt ss amp. 2 30-watt tube amps can have differing maximum volumes depending on the differences between the amps and the tubes that are in them.

Maybe you guys are thinking about the 10-to-1 tube amp wattage-to-volume ratio. In other words, it takes ten times the tube wattage in order to double an amp's volume level. So, if you had a 100-watt tube amp and wanted one that was half as loud (when both amps are maxed out), you'd want a 10-watt tube amp, not a 50-watt tube amp. That's why when you see ads for 18 or 22-watt boutique tube amps that claim to be loud enough for use with a band, they actually are.

decibel chart works in logarithmic not linear

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.html

since it's logarithmic, and not a straight line.

10x the power gives +10 db, 2x the power gives you +3db.

read here

Tube amps sound louder to your EAR beacause your ear is sensitive to the harmonics produced by the tube amp. Tube amps and SS amps that have the same wattage rating and same speakers are no different if you measure them with an instrument, but if you used your ear, the tube amp will sound louder

The amp sticky, near the bottom of the first post
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149114
Last edited by Charso at Jan 19, 2007,