Im thinking about picking up a phaser one of these days, and Im looking into the MXR Phase 90, EXH Small Stone, and the Boss Phase Shifter. Any thoughts on these or good alternatives?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I own the Boss, I like it quite a bit... But, I'm a pretty big Boss fan too. But I see you are as well. I think it's worth the money, it's fun as hell.
the small stone and phase 90 are both excellent, it depends on what you want it for, the phase 90 is great of riffs and metal type stuff, if you like more psychedelic or prog stuff the small stone is amazing, and it can get dave gilmours phasing sounds down to a t.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I was lucky enough to get a Boss Phase Shifter PH-3, and I love the different Phase Types and other functions on there.

The only problems with the Boss is:
1. Its extremely expensive ($400 AUS, I was lucky enough to get it for only $188 AUS)
2. Some of the extra phase types don't really fit into a song (I'm still trying to work out how to put the Step and Rise functions into a song).

My friend who works at Billy Hyde said the MXR Phase 90 is the standard, and alot of guitarists are using them (Matthew Bellamy, Tom Morello etc.)

I was going to buy in Ibanez PH7, heard the sound clips and it sounded pretty alright. The Ibanez PM7 (i think its pm) can do beeping noises, but again, I've only heard the sound clips.

If you can fork out the cash, go for an MXR of Boss, but if your tight on money, maybe have a listen to the Ibanez Phase pedals.

Note: I don't know ANYTHING about the small stone, so better consider that too
The Boss is only $99 USD, probably a fair amount cheaper on eBay too. Out of the three I had mentioned its the only one I havent gotten around to playing yet.

I did try out that Ibanez one, but didnt like it too much.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Jimmy Page and Brian May uses the MXR.
thats one reason i want to get it too =]
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Eh, when I tried the EVH phaser, I found that the difference between the two modes was barely audible. Totally not worth the extra cash imo
Board:
i think you can mod your phase 90 to a script style one easily.
from what i've heard (soundclips, hearsay and heard it live) the difference is barely audible when its set low. i think the script mod removes a gain stage??

and BTW i'm also planning on getting a phase 90.
if you are thinking about the Boss phaser, go for the ph-2 instead of the ph-3. you will have to buy it used (ebay is a good place to look). it doesnt have the crazy models, which i dont find useful anyway, and i do think it sounds a bit more natural. however, if you are looking for something with a bit more sublty i would go for the phase 90.
If you want something crazy then go for the Boss Phase Shifter, it'lll do classic and crazy stuff ! The Rise and Fall modes are way better than the standard "swoosh", and the Step phaser is really only for crazy stuff or "creepy" licks you could come up with. I would only go near the Phase 90 if you want something to fill out lead parts or use it in the style of Van Halen or for strumming clean chords. Personally I tried the Phase 90 and hated it, was too modest for my liking. The new EHX Stereo Polyphase could be worth a look too, EHX do modulation very well!
Quote by ECistheBest
Jimmy Page and Brian May uses the MXR.
thats one reason i want to get it too =]

OH SO WRONG!

brian may uses the FOXX foot Phaser.

the foot phaser is a very expensive but very cool piece of equipment that made the famous airplane and gunfire sounds on "Another One Bites the Dust"
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.