I haven't heard much about this guitar, however I actually haven't really checked reviews either . But I'd like to know UG's perspective on the Gibson Les Paul Special- how nice is it, blah blah.

Is $450 a good price for this? For the same price I could get an Epiphone Les Paul Custom used. Oh yeah, this Gibson is used with supposedly very small scratches that are only seen up close. And a new set of strings... the pictures shown look good- nothing bad about it.

Thoughts?
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
ebay link?
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
Remember, there are subtle variations between each LP model. One thing I know of that you may want to look for is the neck width. Is it the fatter, 50's style neck or the smaller, 60's slim-taper neck? And which do you want?
1 11/16" is the nut width.

It's a local sale on a site called "Craigslist". You might have heard of it.

But if anybody from nor-cal comes in this thread and tries to take over on this opportunity, I'll kick your ass

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/261133829.html
███████████████
████████████
Just for the name alone, it's almost worth it...
But you can't be exactly sure what you're getting, I'd reasearch and ask questions before buying.

But yeah, the price range on those can run from $800- 3000+ dollars depending on the model.
i looked at the listing on the craigslist link, i wouldnt buy it, seems like a total waste of 450 dollars on a guitar that in the long run will not meet any of your needs. (in my opinion)
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
that's a pretty decent price. I'd make sure to run a search on the serial number to make sure it's legit... I bought a fake Gibson LP once... not good... not good. Otherwise it seems like a bargin.
Quote by Andras5soul
i looked at the listing on the craigslist link, i wouldnt buy it, seems like a total waste of 450 dollars on a guitar that in the long run will not meet any of your needs. (in my opinion)

Elaborate, please. No opinion is valid without another opinion to back it up. And then after that opinion; facts .
███████████████
████████████
Quote by westo
Elaborate, please. No opinion is valid without another opinion to back it up. And then after that opinion; facts .

alright heres why. its a fat neck, so your going to play slow, its a heavy guitar being a gibson, so its going to be hard to play live for long periods of time, it has 21 frets opposed to 24, but can only be reached easily up to the 16th, from then on its a pain, it has no trem on it, which in my personal preference sucks, because it limits some of the sounds i would want to get. only 6 strings, i personaly prefer 7 or more if i can afford it, just do to the amount of notes i can play, and being able to lengthen my scale runs. basically your better off with a guitar such as an ibanez, or even jacskon or schecter or bc rich if you decide you like it.
and my basis on these, is owning a gibson, ibanez, g&l and a guitar i built, and the gibson is by far the worst, it also has a muddy pickup switcher, which all gibsons get one time or another, and horrible a ction.
id get it if its in good condition and you can prove its legit, but try it first to make sure its not a lemon.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by metalhead296
alright heres why. its a fat neck, so your going to play slow, its a heavy guitar being a gibson, so its going to be hard to play live for long periods of time, it has 21 frets opposed to 24, but can only be reached easily up to the 16th, from then on its a pain, it has no trem on it, which in my personal preference sucks, because it limits some of the sounds i would want to get. only 6 strings, i personaly prefer 7 or more if i can afford it, just do to the amount of notes i can play, and being able to lengthen my scale runs. basically your better off with a guitar such as an ibanez, or even jacskon or schecter or bc rich if you decide you like it.

Wait... sounds like you play shred or something.

Man I got the blues and soul of a James Earl Jones, I don't need to go fast.

And to stick up for the shredders, because you even recommended a BC Rich, I'm not paying attention to you anymore
███████████████
████████████
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
id get it if its in good condition and you can prove its legit, but try it first to make sure its not a lemon.

Nah, looks orange to me

I'm colorblind...

I sent Gibson an email to see if they could verify it, because I didn't understand anything on the Gibson website.
███████████████
████████████
Quote by metalhead296

Ever think he may not like what you like?

My advice would be to look up the serial number and try to find a similar model at a shop or somewhere you could try it out and decide for yourself if it fits your needs/tastes.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
BTW, because this is a local sale, the way it works is I go to his house and pick it up. If I think it's phony, I don't have to get it. It's like a drug deal pretty much. Except I can play it all I want- even bring my own amp.

I'm just asking UG if anyone's tried this guitar.
███████████████
████████████
the guitar is for sure worth checking out. i live in Fremont California (east bay) and i buy things off craigslist all the time. the best thing is that you can check things out before you buy. in my opinion that guitar is worth the 450 for the wood alone. it looked like solid mahogony, so it won't have the same sparkle as a wood top, but it will be great for distortion sounds. the wood is going to be nice, so even if the pickups aren't top quality, you can just change them and have a great guitar. As for the guy bitching about the fat neck, and not being able to play fast, i can play perfectly fine fast on my fat neck les paul, and i personally haven't liked the playability of any ibanez i've ever played. Even the Steve Vai model was buzzy as hell, plus the fat neck has a positive effect on tone.
No. That's not a special, it's one of those mahogany ones that go for around 600 new. They're not that great, and don't have the maple top like most other LPs.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
^your SG is all mahogony, so it'll probably have a similar sound. Since he is a bluesman, it will deffinately have a warmer, thicker tone than a maple capped one.
Quote by gwitersnamps
No. That's not a special, it's one of those mahogany ones that go for around 600 new. They're not that great, and don't have the maple top like most other LPs.

Umm, the special is the mahogany one that goes for 600 bucks
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
I speak from experience when i say that high end Epi's are better than low end GIbsons. My friend owns an Epi LP Black Beauty and his dad has like a cheaper $800ish lp (not sure on the model) But the Epi BLOWS it out of the water. If you buy that gibson i would say its just because of the name although gibsons are generally good quality. Seriously though the epi plays faster has better tone, carved top, and a nice transparent finish. Its up to you but i would say try out a high end epi and then go try that gibson out at the guys house (if possible) and see what you like
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by westo
1 11/16" is the nut width.

It's a local sale on a site called "Craigslist". You might have heard of it.

But if anybody from nor-cal comes in this thread and tries to take over on this opportunity, I'll kick your ass

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/261133829.html

Sucks that i live in the bay area huh?

Im not gonna buy it, I should but i wont. Its a good deal. Its far from top of the line but I would get it over an epi.
Westo- Have you talked to the seller yet? Call him up and just ask questions about the guitar, its condition, why he's selling it and so on. And that is about as good of a deal you'll get on a special, which are nice sounding guitars but not so nice as far as quality control goes so you'll just have to check it out thoroughly. And the bay area craigslist is awesome (your lucky that I just bought a guitar or that would be mine )
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Jan 17, 2007,
Quote by metalhead296

Idiot. Neither a thin ibanez neck nor 24 frets is a requirement. Neither is a trem. ARGHH!!

You're such an idiot.

You're actually reccomending a bc rich. I mean, usually, common courtesy would restrain me from saying what im saying, but you're just pissing me off with your ignorance.

All your arguments against this guitar was based on the fact that its a les paul. And they were all reflections of your personal opinion.

Idiot.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.