I am thinking about buying a good guitar. Right nowi have a hamer slammer but i want something different to go with it. Do you think i should learn how to build one or just buy one? Building should be cheaper and it would be interesting. Although i know nothing about building a guitar.
I don't know about cheaper, but, it's a cool thing to do. When you're done it's 100% your guitar the way you want it.
Yeah, it would be neat, but I'm thinking you'd have an extremely hard time with no experience.
Quote by De Amazing Blob
Yeah, it would be neat, but I'm thinking you'd have an extremely hard time with no experience.

True! You might start looking on eBay for some parts, such as a body and neck. That's the part you'll have the most difficulty with. You might consider a kit. Carvin makes some nice ones so I'm told. You could buy the kit and upgrade the parts that you don't like, such as pickups.
Building wouldn't be cheaper, unless you have access to all the tools needed, check out the sticky for a list.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
so most guitars that are built are not that great? or just ones that know what their doing?
Quote by WrongWay
so most guitars that are built are not that great? or just ones that know what their doing?

Built guitars are awesome, just dont jusp right into it, study the guitar and see how it works, but the only hard part I would see is the tools, do you have all the necessary ones?

You should also ask some of the more knowledgable luthiers, like AlgeeEater, Kaplac or LuthierofTexas.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Built guitars are awesome, just dont jusp right into it, study the guitar and see how it works, but the only hard part I would see is the tools, do you have all the necessary ones?

You should also ask some of the more knowledgable luthiers, like AlgeeEater, Kaplac or LuthierofTexas.

Well as of now i dnt have any tools or supplies, but thats because i just started to think about it. But i agree would probably want to know what is what before i start. And some help from smarter people.
Building won't be cheaper then buying.

Check out the sites in the stricky there is plenty of info there. The book "make your own electric guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock is also higly recommended.
Quote by WrongWay
Well as of now i dnt have any tools or supplies, but thats because i just started to think about it. But i agree would probably want to know what is what before i start. And some help from smarter people.

Well, then its not gonna be cheap, some of these tools are expensive, but I still suggest you dont give up, take a shop class in school, take a shit guitar and turn it around, like so many here have done, refinish and replace everything, just so you know the insides of a guitar and have some practice in doing it.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky