Well I decided to jump feet first into guitars after years of having a music passion. The question I have is one I'm sure all of you get on a regular basis. I need an educated opinion on this guitar as my first to learn with. I'm on a fairly low budget and this appears to be one of the better made guitars that I can afford.

Squier Deluxe Series Satin Trans Stratocaster® HH

Body: Slender Profile Mahogany
Neck: Maple, C-Shape, (Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
No. of Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo
Pickups: 2 Duncan Designed® Humbucking Pickups (Bridge/Neck)
Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup)
Bridge: Synchronous Twin-Pivot Tremolo (Chrome Plate with Satin Saddles)

Any input is greatly appreciated.
-Thanks
its one of the better squiers, i wouldnt have a problem playing one. what kind of music are you into?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I want to learn to play along the lines from classic rock to 80s metal.
I dont know about that exact guitar but I did have a Squire Tele Standard and it played and sounded well. I ended up trading it in on a different style of electric guitar(hollow body). I think Squire gets a bad rep sometimes cause their lower end stuff is well.......junk but if you spend a couple hundred on one they seem to be ok. Hope that helps.
Quote by Norkimo

well this guitar, with two humbuckers, probably will do a more-metalish tone well. But I think its odd, as a stratocaster is a classic/blues body guitar.

I think an HSS would be more versatile. I'm not sure if they make a HHS or HSH, but those would suit you well too.

H = Humbucker = Metal (the dual coil pickups this guitar has)

S = Single Coil = Blues/Classic

your choice.
Quote by Norkimo

This guitar seems perfect for you, I'd just ignore all the idiots who come in here and say that Squier sucks, this is actually a pretty solid guitar and very good for the price.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by JDawg4098
well this guitar, with two humbuckers, probably will do a more-metalish tone well. But I think its odd, as a stratocaster is a classic/blues body guitar.

I think an HSS would be more versatile. I'm not sure if they make a HHS or HSH, but those would suit you well too.

H = Humbucker = Metal (the dual coil pickups this guitar has)

S = Single Coil = Blues/Classic

your choice.

Yea I made sure I picked a 2x humbucker guitar on purpose for that exact reason. I lean more towards the metal side than the classic rock.
"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"
Quote by edwardthegreat5
This guitar seems perfect for you, I'd just ignore all the idiots who come in here and say that Squier sucks, this is actually a pretty solid guitar and very good for the price.

Hey, tell him the drawbacks of this guitar too, no guitar is perfect. For METAL this guitar is great.

Drabacks are

1- You'll miss out on the more twangy bassy classic blues sound that the fender single coils provide
2- The resale value of this guitar will not be great
3- Many blues enthusiasts will be...shall we say, confused by this guitar. The stratocaster is a blues and classic guitar. Yet they threw humbuckers on it.

Now i'm not saying that these dual coils can't do blues, Gibson uses them for their les pauls, but dude, its a stratocaster, not a les paul. I'm not sure i like the idea of an HH.

EDIT: well if you lean on metal, then rock on. Its your choice.
Yea I realize that Strats are traditionally a more bluesy type of guitar, but I was stuck between a rock and hard place because the other guitars in my price range were made from horrible woods (ie. plywood). I felt this was a good compromise.
Well, this isn't exactly a disgrace to the strat, its like the beffed up version, it has a Mahogany body, which will give you a deeper tone, which is what some bluesmen seek, the humbuckers also help in this, and this thing will probably do blues nicely, just switch the neck pup and roll up the tone. But just in case, you can always go HSS.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Deluxe-Series-Satin-Trans-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=511947
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
It's probably a great guitar to start on. You gotta start somewhere so go for it !
Fender Stratocaster x 2
Ibanez JS1000BTB
Zakk Wylde Les Paul
Epiphone Flying V
'Texas' Les Paul
Ibanez Artcore Jazz
Fender strat copies x 3
Aria Pro II
Classical guitars x 2
Aria steel string acoustic

Marshall, Crate, Fender amps
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Well, this isn't exactly a disgrace to the strat, its like the beffed up version, it has a Mahogany body, which will give you a deeper tone, which is what some bluesmen seek, the humbuckers also help in this, and this thing will probably do blues nicely, just switch the neck pup and roll up the tone. But just in case, you can always go HSS.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Deluxe-Series-Satin-Trans-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=511947

word
Quote by JDawg4098
word

WTf kind of a spam post is that? Anyways. Yes, depending on the stuff you wanna play, this is a really nice guitar to start with. Its pretty light I think, and easy to play because of the jumbo frets.
Quote by insideac
WTf kind of a spam post is that? Anyways. Yes, depending on the stuff you wanna play, this is a really nice guitar to start with. Its pretty light I think, and easy to play because of the jumbo frets.

Whats wrong with spam? Just because you can do 5000 bps Techinqual Death sweeps doesnt mean you can backseat mod.

And it would be a medium to light guitar, seeing as its mahogany.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Whats wrong with spam? Just because you can do 5000 bps Techinqual Death sweeps doesnt mean you can backseat mod.

And it would be a medium to light guitar, seeing as its mahogany.

LOL! That made me giggle like a japanese schoolgirl on LSD. Backseat mod

Yeah but I dont think Fenders are really that heavy..
Thanks for all the input. Been a big help.
Quote by insideac
LOL! That made me giggle like a japanese schoolgirl on LSD. Backseat mod

Yeah but I dont think Fenders are really that heavy..

Yes, but Fender uses Alder or Ash, which is very light, this guitar is made of mahogany, which is heavier, but not LP heavy. Think of Les Paul without a maple cap.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky