So I want some good strings because the ones that came with my bass where in bad shape. I can get DR's for $20 but for $15 more I can get Elixers which are suppose to last longer. Any advise on what I should choose? Is one of them smoother to touch because that would be cool and I heard that the long life elixers have a special coating to give it that feel.
Elixrs do, but they seem to be a lot noisier on the fretboard for me. i.e. you'll hear a "CLANK" when you fret a note. Maybe my frets aren't worn in enough, but i'm warning you that does happen. Nice sounding/playing strings though.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
My Ibanez came with Elixers (Ibanez has a deal with them) and they were great (I still have them stored away until I can get the rest of the parts required to make the Bass String Cleaning Tube ), but more recently I got some DRs - Lowriders (Heavy) and they were without a doubt THE BEST strings I has ever tried/played.

One thing though is they are good, but you pay for that quality (my Mum was a bit shocked at the price when I got them for my birthday last year ), so its up to you - but you can be sure that you'll be happy with either brand.