Me and my friends have started a band and we are all pretty good but there one thing though. They have nice amps for their electric guitars and I don't for my bass. They both have about 65 watt amps and I have a 20 watt amp. Am I screwed or will this somehow be okay? I'm the only one out of all of us who hasn't played live before so I would not know. They said it would be okay but I don't see how thats true.
saving is a good idea, but dont listen to him a 20W would be fine until you can get something better,
My little 10w did fine with one guitarist. Too bad its a foot stool for me now...

If theres a drummer as well, your pretty much boned if you want to hear anything from yourself, unless you can somehow get him to hit alot softer.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Drums will kill the guitar and bass sound man. Best bet is to save for bigger or at a venue Mic the system.
As long as you aren't playing gigs, 20w should JUST ABOUT get you heard
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
over drums, no. especially a heavy handed drummer

otherwise, turn them down and you up.

and save up about £150 to £200 for an amp if possible.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by silentdob
If theres a drummer as well, your pretty much boned if you want to hear anything from yourself, unless you can somehow get him to hit alot softer.

uh-uh. not gonna happen.
Yes, you need a new amp now!

But (I learned this the hard way), remember the more trebly your sound is, the more wattage you need. If you have something liek your traditional groul, then you will ned about a 100W amp, maybe 120 depending on how much Bass you want to add.

But if you want more of a trebly, poppy sound like Flea, then you will need about 150-200Ws, depending on the Treble wanted.
put simply, an amp should never be put more than two thirds, of its maximum power, because if you create a spike (a really loud noise) then the amp wont cope, and thats when they start to burn out. so if by number 7 or 6, on your volume control, your not matching your guitarist, you need a bigger amp. not only that bass, plays on lower frequencies, to match two 65 watters you'll probably need an 80 watt amp. good luck
me you

if you notice any spelling mistakes, or grammar stuff, its cos i have tourettes syndrome and i cbf correcting it, cos that involves reading it over. so get the F*** over it.
oh and if you have a drummer, you need at least 120 watt amp, even that barely cuts it
me you

if you notice any spelling mistakes, or grammar stuff, its cos i have tourettes syndrome and i cbf correcting it, cos that involves reading it over. so get the F*** over it.
^ edit button slash6464

Yeah, you need a pretty big amp just to get above the drummers sounds, i use two amps which works great
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun
You'lll need more than 20W really but when we first started playing I used a 10w and my guitarist used a 60 and we could hear me alright, only thing was I had to turn it right up=distortion and probably would have blown after ages, although I used it liekt hat for a while with no faults
You need to save up. You'll need a 100w atleast! Any more than 100w is always nice and can give you some head room.
Bass is my life.