I like to play a lot of hard rock and metal, and I also like to play Nirvana (distortion madness). But, I've been missing one thing, a pedal! I've never used one before, but I do know how it works. You change the settings, then you step on it! :P I was just wondering, what's a good pedal for distortion. I don't really know any good brands, but I knew you can't go wrong with a Boss. So I looked around and...

Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=DS1
(yes, I'm Australian :P)

Is this a decent pedal, or should I go for something a bit better? I don't want something like uber high-end, just something average and will provide me good distortion without destroying my sound.
If you're going to be playing metal as well, go with the Boss DS-2. It has more gain and more versatility. Play with it a bit and you should be able to achieve both types.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Well kurt himself use to use a Boss DS-2 so you'd get a sound nearly same as him.

I'd go play some at Allans (good store my fave). just chill back to you find one that matches you best.
*Spec. Edition Lite Ash Fender Telecaster
*Peavey 6506
*Marshall 1960A Vintage
*Maton EA80C
*Original Jim Dunlop Cry baby
Ah, I'll probably get a DS-2 then, so that later on I don't have to replace the DS-1 for something better.

Also wondering, is it possible to put a pedal into a Fender Frontman 15R (in regards of the DS-2)? Last time I checked, there wasn't a pedal jack. D:
Last edited by Zhailzur at Jan 17, 2007,
Pretty noobish but thats cool.

So what you do is run one lead from the amps jack into the output jack of your pedal and then run a lead from the pedals input jack to your instrument.

easy as that

good luck
*Spec. Edition Lite Ash Fender Telecaster
*Peavey 6506
*Marshall 1960A Vintage
*Maton EA80C
*Original Jim Dunlop Cry baby