Are the Marshall Mode Fours any good? I play stuff like GNR, Fireball Ministry and Clutch - real stoner-rock type stuff. I play a little metal on the side too. Is this amp any good for me?

Cheers.
They're overkill pieces of SS junk.

Try out a Marshall JCM900 or JCM800, pretty perfect for that stuff.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
There not even valve heads, like proper valve heads

what they are trying to do with that amp is give you 2 amps in one, thats really the only thing going for it.

they dont sound that great either
id go for a JCM900
*Spec. Edition Lite Ash Fender Telecaster
*Peavey 6506
*Marshall 1960A Vintage
*Maton EA80C
*Original Jim Dunlop Cry baby
mode fours DO in fact sound good. people just have it in their head that SS = crap and that's not always the case. Dimebag was a SS devotee. the mode fours have an amazing clean channel (dave navarro uses two mode four heads for his clean sound) and the other 3 dist channels have their good points and bad points but it is a good amp. prob not worth what marshall are charging for it but if you get one at a good price i don't think you'll be dissapointed.

you can hear soundclips on the marshall website.

if you like stoner rock then a JCM 800 or 900 would be ideal though
I agree that the Solid Rhythm demo sounded pretty bloody sweet!
^ But demo's can't tell you how good an amp sounds. They can only tell you what the amp sounds like, whether it's bright, dark, etc.

Tone has to be heard in person, especially when it's so easy to alter the sound of instruments when recording. That's why you can never get an artists tone even if you use the same gear.

Plus, I've heard soundclips where MG's sound good.

So don't use clips to tell you if something is good. Use them to see what it sounds like.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by controlfreak
mode fours DO in fact sound good. people just have it in their head that SS = crap and that's not always the case. Dimebag was a SS devotee. the mode fours have an amazing clean channel (dave navarro uses two mode four heads for his clean sound) and the other 3 dist channels have their good points and bad points but it is a good amp. prob not worth what marshall are charging for it but if you get one at a good price i don't think you'll be dissapointed.

you can hear soundclips on the marshall website.

if you like stoner rock then a JCM 800 or 900 would be ideal though

They might sound good for an SS amp, but once you compare it to a good tube amp, they'll always lose.
they do have good cleans, but the distortion is way to thin sounding for stoner rock, IMO the best stoner rock heads are oranges and vintage Sunn amps, but a JCM 800 would ork nicely too, and dont forget a good fuzz pedal or two.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
John 5 swears by the Marshall Mode Four, and we all know how good and versatile a player he is. He covers a lot of styles of music, so the Mode Four will handle country to insane metal. But as always, try one out cause you'll either love it or hate it with a passion.
Its overpriced and you can get a better amp at the price.

A JCM800 or JCM900 would suit you better.
Sent from my iPad.
i would go with a ProCo turbo RAT pedal. Perfect for heavy stoner rock, and Metal is just a turn of the knob away. i got mine for 10$ at Garage Center (garage sale) and it is the most awesome pedal for that stuff.

plus the glow in the dark words are SOOOOO cool.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.