radiantmoon
UGs king kong slayer
1,823 IQ
how important is it to keep the thumb behind the neck while playing? is there any huge difference to playing with the thumb coming over the top of the neck?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
it makes stretching easier for wider intervals.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
Yeah Dude
71 IQ
i think with the thumb over the neck is more comfortable with bending
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Thumb over the neck suits Hendrix-style chords and position playing more, whereas thumb behind the neck gives you a better range but not enough control over vibrato etc.

I've never understood why people asked this, as I can't imagine it not being natural.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Mad Marius
2,291 IQ
I usually switch between the two positions as needed, but I don't think about it much, it's more of a reflex.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
Proper hand position dictates keeping it behind the neck, but as Resi said, it's harder to control vibrato while in this position. But your own comfort level will also affect how you want to have it. So, in reality, it's really a matter of what you're more comfortable with.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
sock_demon
Ol' Dirty
763 IQ
Thumbing is also critical in sweeping some chords like D major pattern on the 5th , it's almost impossible to do it without putting your thumb over the fingerboard
hue
Lost_Rose
UGs custom LP player
416 IQ
I only keep my thumb behind the neck whilst using barre chords but other than that I use my thumb for playing along the the Bottom E. Also some chords use the thumb so yea I tend to keep my thumb handy for those.
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
radiantmoon
UGs king kong slayer
1,823 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
Thumb over the neck suits Hendrix-style chords and position playing more, whereas thumb behind the neck gives you a better range but not enough control over vibrato etc.

I've never understood why people asked this, as I can't imagine it not being natural.

well normaly i wouldnt ask but i have just started getting guitar lessons and my teacher insists i keep it behind. I showed him a song with open chords and my thumb was over the neck while playing them and he told me to keep it behind, and im finding it difficult.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Mascot
UG Addict
894 IQ
I don't see any cons to keeping the thumb where it feels natural. Ask your teacher why he insists to keep it behind the neck, even when playing certain chords.