Page 1 of 3
As most of you know i have a few basses. Currently i have a Stingray, a Marcus Miller Jazz and a Schecter Custom 4, amongst others less notable. Since getting the Miller and Stringray i rarely play the Miller, because i think i am favouring the Stingray over it. I love the Miller, but at the moment it rarely gets played. The Schecter NEVER gets played unless i am playing some solo piece which requires the higher frets. I read once in an interview with Marcus Miller that you should choose one bass and stick to it. This enables you to become one with your instrument! As the Jazz and the Stingray are so different, switching between them requires to spend a few days getting used to the new one. And as you all know, to really get back to the fluent level of playing takes a few weeks at least on a new instrument.

My point is, is it worth having more than one bass, certainly ones that are very different from eachother? I feel like i should make a choice between the 'ray and the Jazz and stick to it and make that my bass for life. There is no point in having a £700 or a £1000 bass sitting gathering dust, just for the sake of having it. My problem is i love them both and would be happy to play either, but i am not sure how i would make a choice. It's like choosing between two kids!

What do you guys think? Does anyone else have this issue?
I've never believed in having instruments lying around that you don't play, or won't play in the future.

Some people like to have one instrument, some have hundreds. Both schools of thought have produced stellar musicians. It's really a personal thing.

If the Schecter never gets played I'd sell it, no point if you don't see yourself using it.

The ray and the Miller are different though. If you want to do session work, or if you see yourself playing styles of music where a ray might not fit, you should keep the Miller. If you don't see yourself needing another sound, then keep just one.

Personally, I'd never have more than two basses. And I'd only have tow very different ones, say a 5 string and a fretless. Even then I'd only have the fretless if I could use it practically. I definatly belong to the school of thought that says you should stick with one instrument.

So if I were you I'd sell the ray and the Schecter, and keep the Miller.

But this is a very personal thing, and only you can really decide.

If I had two awsome basses and only wanted to keep one, I dont know how I'd decide. Maybe try to look at it from a practical viewpoint. Which do you play more? Which bass is closer to the sound you have in your head? If you have two sounds in your head, maybe you should keep two basses.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
^ thanks for the reply. When i got the Miller i had to wait about four months for the ray and in that time i fell in love with the Miller. But then when i got the ray i fell in love with that. As you said they are completely different beasts, and i do like the sound i get from the ray, but i find the Miller has a faster neck and is more playable. It annoys me that it onlly has 20 frets though, i really wish it could have 24. it would be the perfect instrument.

I think you're right, i should sell my Schecter. It's only been played for about six months and only a few gigs so i reckon i can get at least £150 for it. but then i think whats a £150? i will only blow it on a night out so i might as well keep it. However the ray or the miller i could get a lot of money for.

I have also jsut bought a Sansamp Bass Driver which will give me a great tone without having to mess with my basses settings. And i like that fact the Miller has a switch from active to passive..

At the moment i thinking sell the Stingray and the Schecter, get a fretless and be done.

I think the Jazz is more versatile than the ray. Only thing is is weighs a ton ! !
Sell the Stingray to me!

(Seriously, if you\'re looking to sell it talk to me!)
I think just talking about it has made up my mind for me.. I think i am going to sell the Stingray and maybe the Schecter and keep the Jazz. I'll take £850ono for Stingray and £150 for the Schecter..
^^ No problem.

If all of your basses have little problems that you don't like, then maybe another option to consider is selling them all and getting a bass custom built. I'm sure a good luthier could build to whatever spec you want.

But I don't know how much that would cost, it would be alot of effort, and you may be bassless for a while if you need the money up front. You would have your own unique instrument though. Maybe another bass isn't the solution here though.

Once you've made up your mind sleep on it, cause sometimes you can get yourself worked up about something and later on when your thinking clearly you see all the cons that weren't apparent before.

At the end of the day, whichever you choose, or if you choose to keep them, you will have a fine instrument left with you.

EDIT: Looks like you'll keep the jazz. Those Millers have mojo.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Custom is a good way to go, and i have money saved that i could use but meh...i wouldnt know where to start!! and what if you end up not liking the custom? you're deep in the shit then!!!

I thitnk there is no such thing as a perfect instrument unless it is custom built...

I wont do anything for a few days, will sleep on it a few times, but yeah i think i'd prefer the Miller over the Stingray, even though i have been favouring the ray of late. I think the Miller is a more versatile bass to keep... but damn would i miss that slap tone..
Customs not always the way to go. Unless you know the exact specs you want you are taking a huge risk, because it is a pay then play system. You could be blowing a huge amount of money on something thing hate (or love to death).

I can help you a little bit the the custom part if you choose to go that way. There are a lot of specs. that go into it that you wouldn't normaly think of.

You might want to also look at other basses (Maybe a Single coil/Humbucker configuration). I know Warwick has some, as well as Tobias and MTD. It's just a suggestion however, I know you love both of those basses.
^ Not that Millers don't have good slap tone though. Well, Marcus Miller plays it.

But yeah, good luck with your decision.

yeah the Miller has a good tone for slap, you're right. And Elemenohopee you are right that Custom is a huge risk to take.. probably not one i am prepared to take ! I dislike Warwicks, never like the feel of them at all.

I've never played an MTD or Tobias. I quite like the look of the Stu hamm Urge II bass.. in fact, that is what i might look to get...

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0191500886

Has anyone ever played one?
I honestly think you will regret your decision if you sell your stingray applehead, i recently order a Warwick - Corvette $$, and now have a €1200 loan i need to pay off asap, and i have time and time again looked at my Warrior II & Thunderbird in which both have elements that i dis like about them and have considered selling them, and have had offer after offer from various different people over the internet & from college but i just cant sell them. They display sentimental value to me, and from reading your posts so does your stingray for you dude...

And as far as the Stu Hamm Urge II Bass no i havent played it but i absolutly cant stand fender bass guitars, every Jazz/Precision Bass iv tried from them (American/Mexican) just doesnt feel worth the price tag attached to them...
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet
id love to take the schecter off your hands, but unfortunatly i havent got round to selling of my basses to get the funds!
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Is the Stingray dual humbucker or single?

if not, sell the jazz and the ray, and get a HH ray, or a HS ray

Just my opinion though(I don't like just having 1 pickup)

I think if you have a neck pickup on a ray, you should be able to get some of the tones you get out of the jazz.
Quote by hexagram244
I honestly think you will regret your decision if you sell your stingray applehead, i recently order a Warwick - Corvette $$, and now have a €1200 loan i need to pay off asap, and i have time and time again looked at my Warrior II & Thunderbird in which both have elements that i dis like about them and have considered selling them, and have had offer after offer from various different people over the internet & from college but i just cant sell them. They display sentimental value to me, and from reading your posts so does your stingray for you dude...

And as far as the Stu Hamm Urge II Bass no i havent played it but i absolutly cant stand fender bass guitars, every Jazz/Precision Bass iv tried from them (American/Mexican) just doesnt feel worth the price tag attached to them...

Yeah i hear you bro. Trust me i dont want to sell them, i just think it's such a waste for a decent bass to be sitting there not getting played. I would rather someone else have the enjoyment of using it. but yeah i guess there is an attachment. I mean, the Schecter i played the fuirst gig i ever done with, and the Stingray was used when i played my biggest gig so far.. and the Miller is just a thing if beauty. I just dont want them wasting away. I mean, to be honest it's not really the money. I could afford to buy the Stu Hamm and keep the others but is there any point? My collection is growing by the month!!

Have you played the Miller? I think for £650 it is well worth the cash!

Elemenohpee,

^ No one stocks them man ! they look like amazing basses, Stu has really thought about what he wants in a bass and told Fender to make it. They go for about £1100.

Quote by thedonutman
Is the Stingray dual humbucker or single?

if not, sell the jazz and the ray, and get a HH ray, or a HS ray

Just my opinion though(I don't like just having 1 pickup)

I think if you have a neck pickup on a ray, you should be able to get some of the tones you get out of the jazz.

yeah single. it's not the tone, it's the lack of frets that annoy me on the ray.
Last edited by Applehead at Jan 17, 2007,
Could you sell two of them and get a custom neck with the money with 24 frets?
Theres a thought!
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Yeah like he said, you should keep the one you like the most and get a custom neck for it if its not glued on.
I wonder how feasible it is to get a custom neck put on the jazz. has anyone had any experienc with anything like that?
As long as it is a bolt on neck it shouldn't be that difficult really, and if i was in your position (i wish) i would probably end up tossing a coin over it, then if i really dont want to sell the one that loses, i will keep it if that makes sense, if not, sorry for wasting you time
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Unless you got custom neck with a neck extension, it won't work. It will throw off the scale of the bass, and everything will have to be re-calibrated. Not the smartest idea if you ask me.

And if you get an extension, I doubt you would be able to play the frets, seeing as the would be on the body of the bass. Very close to the pickup.

On the Stu Hamm bass: I almost had a store near me order one, but they were only going to order it if I bought it, and I didn't want to buy it without knowing what I wanted exactly. It does look absolutely gorgous, Stu really does make it sound astonishing.

I've just never been a big fan of fenders (except for older p-basses) so I'm a bit wary of just ordering it. Plus I don't have the money ATM.
I would never order a bass without playing it, and the places i have asked said they would just give me a credit note for the store. I dont wanna be stuck with a £1100 credit note and all my other basses !

Hmmmm, decisions decisions..

cheers for info on the neck.. we'll scrap that idea !
If you ever think you'd be in the market for fretless, I'd defret the Schecter now. It's not very difficult at all and instills a helluva lot of new interest into an old bass.

Personally, I wouldn't sell either the MM or the Ray. You seem to love them both, and I'm guessing interest in each will go in phases - while you maybe be really loving one this month, who knows what the next month will bring? Unless you really think you will be eternally satisfied with the MM tones and never miss the ray, I'd keep both. You aren't hard pressed for money, and while you won't "bond" with one as closely, the versatility and difference will feel refreshing.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
^ Interesting, it's funny how some people say sell and others keep. I think defretting the Schecter is not a bad idea..

I think, however, that i know what bass i need. The Stu Hamm Urge Bass II. It has the 24 frets of the Schecter, the EQ and slapability of the ray and the tone of the Fender.

My god why has it taken me £2k to find this out?
How much is £850 in USD? I'm really interested in your Stingray if you are going to sell it.
Quote by Applehead
I think, however, that i know what bass i need. The Stu Hamm Urge Bass II. It has the 24 frets of the Schecter, the EQ and slapability of the ray and the tone of the Fender.

My god why has it taken me £2k to find this out?

Because thats what happens when you play an instrument. You think it has everything you need/want and once you get it, your needs/wants change. It's going to take a while before you find something that really satisfys you.
Sell every bass you own.

Buy a Dual H Sterling.

Problem solved. Lighter than 'ray or a jazz, more versatile than both, 22 frets, and a helluva lot sexier.

And the Stu Hamm Urge II is shorter scale, isn't it?
haha
OK, so i've just bought a Stu Hamm Urge Bass II in black. Cant wait til that puppy arrives. I am going to sell the Stingray and the Miller and have this as my one and only bass. I am tempted to defret the Schecter as i am interested in fretless.

I shall of course let you all know how the bass is, as i've not heard anyone talk about it before no here.

If anyone is interested in buying either the Miller or the Stingray, please PM and we can talk price. They will also be on Ebay.

Peace y'all, and thanks for the advice.
^ Let us know. You have played it first haven't you? I've always wanted to hear what they sound like, it seems like you've basically got a P and a J bass in one.

Wish I could buy the Miller, I love them. But I have no money, at least I don't need a new bass enough to warrant spending money on it.
^ If I had the money I'd buy the Miller, sell it and buy a Geddy but alas I don't.

Thats seemed kind of sudden but anyway did you try out the Stu Hamm one? What did it sound like. Like what it looks like or like something else entirely.
i hear what you say about 20 frets, i played a MIJ Jazz Bass the other day and almost bought it (AU$400), very nice very playable but i couldn't play one of my bands songs on it (requires 22nd fret in a chord - meaning can't be played anywhere else on the bass) so i decided against it, i love my cort action, i still stand by it's in the top 3 basses i've played all round (only the jazz and ray beats it and it thumps all wawricks i've played) but i like playing high up so 24 frets is a must.

my only complaint about it are the pickups aren't excellent so they will be replaced in the next few months (probably after i make my big muff) and once i get a double bass and decent amp i'll start looking at another bass, maybe cort, ray or jazz but i'll probably go with a cort gb series, ray style humbucker with J neck pup in a J body with J neck
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
you will probably all think i am mad but i have not played it. I spoke with someone who owns one for about 20 mins last night and he said it's one of the best basses he's ever played, and he is about 50 and has been around. I am trusting him. Nowhere stocks it, and will only order if i buy it. So either way i am going to have to go with my gut.

it's against what i believe (trying before buying) but this time i am going to have to have some faith in Stu Hamm and my friend.

his words were " if you dont like it i'll give you the money myself mate"

Here are the specs:

Model Name Stu Hamm Urge II Bass
Model Number 019-1500-(Color #)
Series Artist Series
Body Select Alder, Sleek New Stu Hamm Body Shape
Neck Maple, Asymmetrical Oval Shape,
(Satin Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard Rosewood, 9.5” Radius (241mm)
No. of Frets 24 Medium Jumbo
Pickups 2 Custom Noiseless™ Jazz Bass® Pickups (Neck and Bridge),
1 Custom Precision Bass® Pickup (Middle)
Controls Master Volume, Pan Pot, 3-Band Active EQ with:
Treble Boost/Cut,
Bass Boost/Cut,
Mid Boost/Cut
Pickup Switching 3-Position Mini-Toggle:
Position 1. All three Pickups
Position 2. P-Bass Pickup Only
Position 3. Both Jazz Bass Pickups

Pan Control pans between the combinations of the front Jazz and P-Bass pickups, all three pickups, and the rear Jazz and P-Bass pickups.
Bridge Deluxe Top Load or Strings-Thru-The-Body Bridge
Machine Heads Fender®/Schaller® Deluxe Lightweight Tuning Machines
Hardware Chrome
Pickguard 4-Ply White Pearloid on:
(885) Bright Amber Metallic,
(886) Bright Sapphire Metallic,
4-Ply Brown Shell on:
(800) 3-Color Sunburst,
(806) Black
Scale Length 34” (864 mm)
Width at Nut 1.59” (40.4 mm)
Unique Features 6-Bolt Neck Attachment with Sculpted Heel,
Posiflex™ Graphite Neck Support Rods,
Asymmetrical Neck Profile,
Special Thin Neck Profile,
Active Electronics,
Matching Painted Headstock,
Noiseless Jazz Bass Pickups
Strings Super Bass 8250M NPS, p/n 073-8250-006,
Gauges: .045, .065, .085, .110TW (Taperwound E)

Come on, how bad ass does that sound????!!!!

...omfg....

i think i came a little....
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Yeah, that bass sounds like a true "do anything" bass.

Quote by Double Basser
i hear what you say about 20 frets, i played a MIJ Jazz Bass the other day and almost bought it (AU$400), very nice very playable ...

Where did you see that? In Melbourne by any chance?
Jesus Applehead! Talk about a lot of money on basses! I hope it really is as good as it sounds.

I didn't realize it had an asymetrical neck, that just increased my chances of buying it by a lot. Unfortunatly I'm a broke college student, so I'm not going to be spending $2k on a bass. Seeing as I'm already in the hole quite a bit.

I can't wait to hear what you think about it.
Quote by Applehead
I think just talking about it has made up my mind for me.. I think i am going to sell the Stingray and maybe the Schecter and keep the Jazz. I'll take £850ono for Stingray and £150 for the Schecter..

NUUUUUU!!!! Don't sell your Ray!!!!

Here's my advice - sell your Schecter - you don't play it and like you've said, there isn't much point in having them around. However, you do love both your Stingray and your Jazz. So why not keep both or them? I find that I have no issues with fluidity when switching between my Ray and my Jazz (even thogh it's only a Squier) and I use them for different things.

It's also a matter of playing different styles too - you love the Jazz but you'd like it to have more frets - the Ray has 21, that's more than the Jazz and you love it too - compromise, keep them both, you'll regret selling your Ray is you do.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by elemenohpee
Jesus Applehead! Talk about a lot of money on basses! I hope it really is as good as it sounds.

I didn't realize it had an asymetrical neck, that just increased my chances of buying it by a lot. Unfortunatly I'm a broke college student, so I'm not going to be spending $2k on a bass. Seeing as I'm already in the hole quite a bit.

I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

heh heh, i just told my girlfriend and she has gone mad ! "fcking waste of money" she called it. I am going to sell the Stingray and the Jazz definitely, I can always buy another one some day if i miss it that much. The Schecter i am thinking of defretting...

I think i have made the right decision. I need 24 frets, it's as simple as that. The ray doesnt have that and it annoys me having to switch basses when i want to play a different song. The Urge II has everything i need in a bass.

I shall of course let you all know what it is like. I'll probably do a bass of the month later this year once i have broken it in a bit..
Nice, be sure to take plenty of pics.

I guess it was the original Urge that was a 32 scale.
haha
Page 1 of 3