#1
What kind of clean sounds will you get from a high output pickup?

Will it be unusable, or just not as good as it could be?

I am thinking of fitting something hotter but I do use a clean sound occasionally.

Thanks,
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
#2
you'll be fine. 90% of passive pickups have good cleans, and the other 10% don't sound good for anything.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.


I am Michael!
#3
i think hotter pickups have the best cleans to be honest
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
#4
Depends on the voicing of the pickup....however particularly high-output pickups can often have poor cleans, especially if they're geared towards procucing distorted tones. All you need to do is roll of the guitar volume a bit, or have them wired to switch between series and either parallel wiring or a coil-split to give you quick access to a lower output mode.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.


stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
#5
The guitar volume knob is your friend !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
#6
amp amp amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.


Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
#8
So, how does the "bad" sound sound?
Is it distortion or just not as nice as it could be (because I could live with that).

Good tip on the volume control by the way - always wondered what that was for
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
#9
some will sound rather spiky and break up a little bit.

with the volume and/or tone knobs, you can get a nice sparkly sound out of them.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon


Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
#10
every pickup varies, since there no specific line that magically puts a pickup in "hot" territory. Depending on the bobbin magnets wire wire thickness and amount of winds it will all effect teh sound. So I really can't tell you much. I can't describe any one sound because not all pickups are liek that one sound. I can't say much, just look up sound clips, and play some "hot" pups
#11
You should be fine, but on some small amps, it might start distorting already. Depends on your amps, therethus.
#12
i have high output ceramic pups on my SG and i get great clean sounds just gotta rol the volume back, though if youre using a spider how hot the pickups are isnt going to matter in the least for clean or dirty sounds.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
#13
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
though if youre using a spider how hot the pickups are isnt going to matter in the least for clean or dirty sounds.


Just out of interest, why do you say that?

For what it's worth that is my practice amp. For rehearsal I borrow a much better amp.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Last edited by Dr. B at Jan 18, 2007,