Hey guys, I'm in need of help again. First off, thanks to everyone who responded to my first post. For the information you should read my thread, not the replies, just the story here Story Now keep in mind after Brice first contacted me and then told me of his plan to take the Mesa as collateral I have not heard from him in 2 months. I also found out that Jay has sold an amp to a good friend of mine and then took it back about two months later. So this is a re-occuring thing. My theory is that they are selling things and taking them back to make money, because Jay never paid my friend back. I have no proof of this though, so it is just speculation. Anyways, last night Brice contacted me saying he needed the amp back, two months ago it was urgent and the supposed owner was pissed, but not pissed enough for Brice to contact me for two months. Anyways, I told him that he was supposed to contact me after he worked out how I was going to be recouped with Jay (Brice's idea) and he never did. Brice then told me that he "hardly" talks to Jay although I have heard they are starting a band together, which I have no hard evidence, other than word of mouth. Brice sent me a message today saying that he wants to pick it up this weekend, I'm not letting that happen, but what is everyone's thoughts on what I should do? I'm going to Jay's house today to get a signed piece of paper saying that he sold it to me, I also have a witness who was at the selling who WILL tell the truth even if he doesn't.
Do you have any evidence that the amp belongs to you, or that proves you've been in ownership of it for these past months? Have you had it insured or anything?

It sounds like it's all going to be your word against their's, which means nothing can be proven. If you paid Jay for the amp outright... it is yours (for now). If it is indeed stolen it has to go back to the rightful owner, but Jay would need to give you compensation - you are not going to be prosecuted for purchasing off it, even if it is stolen - as you didn't know. So you are in the clear legally, so I'd threaten legal action if this guy just expects to take this amp back off you.

Do you have any proof that you bought it off Jay? Obviously you don't have a receipt or anything, but could you get reputable sources to vouch for you (teacher, parent etc)?
Quote by Tom Martin
Do you have any evidence that the amp belongs to you, or that proves you've been in ownership of it for these past months? Have you had it insured or anything?

It sounds like it's all going to be your word against their's, which means nothing can be proven. If you paid Jay for the amp outright... it is yours (for now). If it is indeed stolen it has to go back to the rightful owner, but Jay would need to give you compensation - you are not going to be prosecuted for purchasing off it, even if it is stolen - as you didn't know. So you are in the clear legally, so I'd threaten legal action if this guy just expects to take this amp back off you.

Do you have any proof that you bought it off Jay? Obviously you don't have a receipt or anything, but could you get reputable sources to vouch for you (teacher, parent etc)?

Yes, the guitarist in my band was standing there in his garage when I bought it. He bought the cab, but Brice nor anyone else is wanting to take the cab back. The cab is as worth as much as the amp is. Also, his parents know for a fact that I bought it, because they were there in the house, saw us bring it in and talked to Jay afterwards.
WEll i GOT ANSWER!!!!!!!! im no lawyer but i've heard stuff close to this before.....whatever u do, DO NOT give the amp to NO ONE leave it in your house. now theres a little law that came in effect. i forget the name, sumthin to do with legal property. if the "True" owner has a proven reciept for the amp, with a date, and time, and his name/ signature. then thats the only way he will ever get the amp back.......basicly with the owner possesion law(or w/e its called) u own that amp because its in ur house.....in fact if i went to ur house right now, with my gibson les paul...its urs if i left it there....now theres another little law, that states like 3 days if its left there or sumthin along those lines......not sure how many days....i just kno, that that amp is urs, unless he proves ownership, the cops cant do anything. and that little hardass ur talking about made a threat.....so tecnicly, he'd be the one in trouble.
now all u can do is wait....just lock down that amp. and as of purchasing a stolen amp...pshhh, i doubt since theres that many people involved, that no one could prove a thing. u'll either get ur money back, keep the amp, or u'll get an asswhoopin lol
Last edited by guitarsuperman2 at Jan 17, 2007,
Rule # 1: NEVER purchase anything without obtaining a receipt.
Rule #2: (See Rule #1)
I hear this every day - how people are paying cash for an item and are not get a receipt as proof of purchase. If there weren't any witnesses and he denies recieving money from you, you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle.
You could try to get him to sign a receipt or affidavit as proof of purchase. If he refuses you know he is scamming you and probably someone else, too.
Don't give him the amp until he signs a reciept or statement of purchase. If he brings in the police, he too, may have to prove proof of purchase, and that should let the cat out of the bag. After doing this you'll find out he scamming not only you, but some other poor soul.
Just go to the local police station and explain the situation, as threats have been made. I'm sure that everyone will come to an agreement that they're either scamming you or not. Worst case scenario, you lose the amp but get your money back.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I don't think the police are going to look too favourably on Brice's claim of ownership after he beats the shit out of you for it are they?
You know phoning a lawyer wouldn't be a silly thing to do.

Just give one a ring and ask, there's no commitment to pay them anything, just make sure they know its just an enquiry and you're just a student.

Then you get an answer you 100% know is right.

Edit: In fact chances are the police station will have a few free lawyers handy (if its big enough) so go down there and ask for advice.
shizzybrane drives a hard bargain but i'd take him up on the offer. i took the trouble to ask my mum who's a lawyer and she says that as far as she knows, in the UK he can't legally take the amp off you unless he has a receipt of purchase proving it belonged to him in the first place. until then they can threaten you all they like but when it comes to it, that amp legally belongs to the person who is in possesion of it until some kind of proof of purchase is brought forward.

that's in the uk but i assume the legal systems are pretty much the same on this one.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
where's Dirk when you need him?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues