Hi there, hope you guys wont mind a few newbie questions:

Basically I got a really nice BC Rich afterburner Warlock for christmas and it plays wonderfully despite being pretty cheap so I guess I got lucky with a pretty good deal.
The thing is, I want to mess around now with it to see how good a sound i can get. I play all sorts of music from the beatles, to lifehouse, to metallica/pantera/megadeth and creed as well as some A7X etc...
So without furthur ado, here are my questions:

1)What are the advantages of a passive pickup over an active one? And vice versa?I hear passives have better mid and actives have better lows and highs and that actives are louder with less noise. Anything else I'm missing or misinformed about?

2)My warlock only has passive humbucker pickups. Can I install active pickups in it without too much modification to the body(or any at all if i can help it)?Basically, I don't want to screw this guitar up.

3)If the the installation is possible, what is better for the type of music I play? Is it possible to use one passive and one active pickup if one is better than the other? I want a nice clean tone in the neck and a more metal-ly tone in the bridge.

4)Can you guys recomend one active pickup and one passive pickup each for metal distorted and clean?Again, I want a pickup thats nice, bright and warm for the neck and a darker, more distorted pickup for the bridge.

Thanks a lot guys.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Jan 17, 2007,
The only real reason to go with actives is if you want insane distortion. Yes, you *can* get good cleans with some actives, but you should only really go with them if you want lots and lots of gain. Most guitars can fit passives with very little or no modification - it's just a matter of having a place to put the battery more than anything else. But you can't have your cake and eat it, too, in this case - you'll have to pick whether you want actives or passives. Mixing them isn't really possible. Also, while they can work with solid state amps, actives work best with tube amps.
Hi, I'm Peter
ah so I guess think I'll stick with passives then. I'd rather keep a nice clean tone and resort to pedals for gain/distortion than lose the clean.

So what would be a good set of passive pickups? Like I said earlier, I'd like the neck to be more for clean playing and the bridge for distortion.

Oh and thanks for the reply
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
^ There are a LOT of pickups out there. It also depends on what you're willing to spend. In your case, I'd look for a pickup with Alnico V magnets for a more modern sound. Alnico II is a bit too vintage and ceramics are really hot, but will have bad cleans. I use PRS McCarty pickups, but I also paid $130 a piece for them. Check out sound clips at www.seymourduncan.com and www.dimarzio.com (although there are less). You'll get a good idea of what's out there.

Checking out your gear, you may be better off getting a distortion pedal or new amp. A Fender Frontman isn't going to give you the sound you want no matter what pickups you throw in your guitar.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 17, 2007,
okay, ill check them out. thanks.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
How would a SH-1 in neck and a SH13 in bridge combination work out? People say its a good combo and both pickups have gotten good reviews..

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Yes that would definitely work for you. The Dimebucker is very good at high-gain stuff, and the '59s PAF tone will be great for cleans. So pretty much exactly what you're looking for!
yay. So hopefully ill have them by next month.

btw, just out of curiosity, I've seen PAF used a lot, what does it mean?

oh and last question, based on price to performance, which is better? a Bill Lawrence L500xl or the dimebucker?

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Jan 18, 2007,
"PAF" was the nickname of the original humbuckers designed by Gibson. It means "Patent Applied For." Basically, anything with "PAF" in the name with be marketed as a more vintage sounding humbucker.

I wouldn't go with a Dimebucker. There are better high-gain pickups to be had. I've never played a Bill Lawrence, but they have a good reputation.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 18, 2007,
hmm, i think I'll settle with a Bill Lawrence L500xl in the bridge and the SH-1 in the neck(unless anyone can suggest an imrpovement?) since that seems to be a good combination. I read the XL also does well clean and both are very good for rock and metal.

thanks guys

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350