I'm looking to get a multi-effects pedal for myself(cus my cheapo ZOOM really sucks...). I was looking at the following 3 pedals: The Line 6 PODXT Live, the Digitech GNX3000 and the Boss GT-8.

Now I know all 3 are great processors, but I have to get them imported so I can't try them out myself and I'm pretty much left with word of mouth.

So which would you guys recomend?

I'm looking for the following features:
1)Whammy-esque effect for morelo style playing. I know the gnx3k has this and the podxt has one called the bender but not sure how good either is. DUnno about the GT-8.

2)Quick patch change by setting a patch each to the foot-buttons. I really hate having to cycle through effects on the ZOOM.

3)Good quality. I don't want something that will die on me or give me crappy sound.

4)Good community for patch exchange. I don't mind spending time getting a good patch setup, but I'd rather do it quickly by getting presets ad tinkering with them afterwards. I know Line 6 has custom tone which is pretty good, but I can't find anything comparable for the other two.

5)Easy patch editing. If possible, i want to be able to edit patches on the computer and then save them to the device. IF not, then i'd like to have the easiest one to use.

Thanks a lot guys
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Well I own a GT8. Very pleased with it.

1. Yes, there's a bend function on the expression pedal which can raise or lower your pitch an octave. Stacked with loads of very unusual fx.

2. Yes, it'll do.

3. Boss gear is built like a tank.

4. http://www.bossgtcentral.com/ , but I think custom tone has more presets.

5. I don't think there's software to edit patches on a Boss, not sure. But it's very easy to tweak patches manually.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I've owned all three and chose the PODXTL. They have the best tone exchange community and editing is much easier if you use their Line6 Edit program via your computer. I liked their amp-modeling better too, especially for high-gain stuff. The way the unit is designed, there are more sounds possible per patch as well. The GT-8 is about even with the PODXTL in regards to FX sound-quality IMO (although the XTL has more total effects), but the GT-8 has more FX routing capabilitites than the other two. I thought the GNX3K's amp-modeling was about as good as the PODXTL's but that the effects weren't as good or as versatile as the XTL or GT-8. The PODXTL does have an effect similar to a whammy but it's not as good or versatile as the real thing, and you can't use it and a distortion pedal model at the same time. Both the GNX3K and the GT-8 have different variations on the "two amp models at once" idea, which the XTL does not have. A cool feature but not a big selling point for me. All three are good units with quick patch-switching and all three take quite a bit of time to learn how to program properly.

For a good comparison check out this site:

http://thestompbox.net/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=21
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Ah thanks.Sounds good.
Anyone have any other comments on the above? I really want to be sure before I get one of these because I can't return it once I get it or even try out the others..
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by fatgraymatt
I've owned all three and chose the PODXTL. They have the best tone exchange community and editing is much easier if you use their Line6 Edit program via your computer. I liked their amp-modeling better too, especially for high-gain stuff. The way the unit is designed, there are more sounds possible per patch as well. The GT-8 is about even with the PODXTL in regards to FX sound-quality IMO (although the XTL has more total effects), but the GT-8 has more FX routing capabilitites than the other two. I thought the GNX3K's amp-modeling was about as good as the PODXTL's but that the effects weren't as good or as versatile as the XTL or GT-8. The PODXTL does have an effect similar to a whammy but it's not as good or versatile as the real thing, and you can't use it and a distortion pedal model at the same time. Both the GNX3K and the GT-8 have different variations on the "two amp models at once" idea, which the XTL does not have. A cool feature but not a big selling point for me. All three are good units with quick patch-switching and all three take quite a bit of time to learn how to program properly.

For a good comparison check out this site:

http://thestompbox.net/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=21

Thanks I'll give the article a look through...Right now, I've narrowed it down to the XTL and GT-8. The GT-8 for power, the XTL for ease of use.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Last edited by DagMX at Jan 18, 2007,
quick question, im thinking of gettin the podxt live and i was wondering if you need anything else except the podxt live and a guitar if you are going to use the podxtlive with earphones for practising?
Nope, the PODXTL has a headphone output.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
DagMX, just to let you know, the preset patches on each of the units are generally pretty weak and don't give a good idea of the unit's true capabilities. Another thing I liked about the PODXTL is that is has a section dedicated to output settings, to help make the unit sound good for whatever way you're going to use it (Direct Out for recording direct to a computer, different settings for different type of amps, etc...). A great feature. If you're going to be running one into an amp, that's going to drastically affect the sounds of the amp models. There are so many different ways that things can be set on all these units it could really take you forever to find the right set of settings for your particular amp. What I did was download like 100 user-created patches from Line6's Tone Exchange site direct to the unit, and then scroll through them until I found one that sounded good through my amp. The first 80 or so sounded like garbage but I'm glad I kept going. On patch 81 or 82 I found one that sounded amazing through my amp, so I kind of studied how things were set on that patch and used it as a template for creating my other sounds. Huge time-saver.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Another thing I liked about the PODXTL is that is has a section dedicated to output settings, to help make the unit sound good for whatever way you're going to use it (Direct Out for recording direct to a computer, different settings for different type of amps, etc...).

The GT-8 has the same thing
Quote by fatgraymatt
DagMX, just to let you know, the preset patches on each of the units are generally pretty weak and don't give a good idea of the unit's true capabilities. Another thing I liked about the PODXTL is that is has a section dedicated to output settings, to help make the unit sound good for whatever way you're going to use it (Direct Out for recording direct to a computer, different settings for different type of amps, etc...). A great feature. If you're going to be running one into an amp, that's going to drastically affect the sounds of the amp models. There are so many different ways that things can be set on all these units it could really take you forever to find the right set of settings for your particular amp. What I did was download like 100 user-created patches from Line6's Tone Exchange site direct to the unit, and then scroll through them until I found one that sounded good through my amp. The first 80 or so sounded like garbage but I'm glad I kept going. On patch 81 or 82 I found one that sounded amazing through my amp, so I kind of studied how things were set on that patch and used it as a template for creating my other sounds. Huge time-saver.

yeah, even on my Zoom I usually just start with a preset I like, and then build of of that, but no matter what, this Zoom is pretty cheap and always sounds digital unless I only use simple distortion.

But the problem where I'm torn between the GT-8 and the XTL is that the line6 custom tone website is great, but then all the comparisons I've seen today all say the GT-8 is more powerful and versatile.

So I'm torn between having a device that can be great out of the box(the xtl with some downloaded tones) that can get me started of very well or a device that will ultimately last me longer and give me more options for creating my own sound later on when my guitar skills improve past covers and a few badly written punk/metal songs. ie do I want something that'll serve me immediately or serve me later on.

The GT-8 seems like it'd last me longer though, but on the other hand the PODXT does have the model packs/updates and community so that point is nullified.
The PODXTL has a great community which can help me off as a beginner, but then I don't want to be limited by the devices limitations later on and I'm sure the gt-8also has a decent community to help me out.

Sigh...I wish there was a simple way of picking out a device like it is when it comes to guitars...

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I'm a little confused on one point. Why do you think the GT-8 would last you longer?

Another thing that tipped me toward the XTL over the GT-8 is the USB connectivity, which allows you to download patches directly to the unit, do in-depth editing on your computer using the Deep Edit program and, most importantly, download extra amp-model & FX packages. Line 6 also adds new FX and amp-models periodically to their website that are free for download to registered Line6 users. Just a couple of months ago they added like 6 new wah models and a few new amp models, including a couple of really cool-sounding bass amp models, and it was all free! The fact that you can update the unit and purchase extra amp-models and so forth so easily online really adds to the value IMO. The GT-8 is great but, unless I'm mistaken, there's not ever a way to expand it beyond what it initially comes with.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 18, 2007,
it would last me longer because it seems to have a larger feature set than the XTL with more effects and amp models, plus the dual amp thing does seem to have its benefits(doubling up on rythm guitarists since my bands a little short on members).

But as you say the XTL has the great software that the GT8 lacks(but people did mention the 3rd party GT8 software which seems to do the same stuff) and the upgradabilty is great, but then the cost to get a lot of the same effects pushes the XTL above the asking price for the GT8.

So far +ve points of the GT8 is:
+versatilty
+power

so far +ve points for XTL are
+upgradability
+ease of use

negative points for the gt8 are mainly ease of use and upgradibilty
negative points for the XTL are versatility and raw features(relatively).

hmmm...
the one effect I really want though is a pitch shifter like a whammy, i won't use it all the time(hence the reason i dont get one seperately) but its something i want to sound good(the one on my zoom sucks). Is the bender(or any other pitch shifter) on the XTL or GT-8 anygood?

Oh btw, thanks for the opinion, the scales are now balanced between the two..

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
The pedal bend effect on the GT-8 is decent, but you need to take care of any noise issues with your guitar to take advantage of it. It tracks well, but any stray noise at a decent level can upset it (which is why it's a good idea to make sure your guitar is shielded and grounded properly). I have the pedal bend effect on about 90% of my patches, and it works when I need it. As far as the harmonizer goes, it tracks a little funny every now and then. It has trouble tracking bends well.

No, you cannot "update" anything on the GT-8 other than firmware (no new effects or patches), but really, I cannot see any need to update anything on the GT-8...it really has everything I could ever possibly want to use. As far as downloading patches, all you need is a USB to MIDI (got mine off of ebay for $10) adapter and Mr. Sleepy's editor and you're in...the community over on bossgtcentral.com has a lot of patches with the best ones coming from TeeJay and Kewlpack (he has a monster patch pack with about 90 patches for various guitar heroes and other tones).

As far as the other effects and features on the GT-8, when I tested the POD XTL next to the GT-8, it just couldn't compete. Yes, the POD is waaaaaaaaaay easier to use, but the benefits of the GT-8 just make it worth learning. The POD is easier to get good tones out of quickly, but the variety of tones out of the GT-8 make it far easier to get a unique sound out of.
i went for the xtlive. honestly i've heard nothing bad about the gt-8 though. i'm not really a fan of the wah setup on the XTL....its wierd..but it has a 2nd exp pedal input so you can just add a stand alone wah and still use the volume and tweak features along with the wah. you wont be dissapointed either way. only thing i can say...buy both....return the one you dont like...lol
@twostring/fatgraymat
how fast is patch changing on the gt-8/XTL? I'm playing Master of Puppets and One last breath and I have to switch between the clean and distorted pretty quickly. I've hear there is a noticable lag on the GNX3k and someone on one of the forums i googled said that the XTL is even slower.

Also(probably a long shot), but can you set the pedal to fade between clean and distortion(as in toe down would be distorted, while toe up would be clean)?

Thanks guys.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
The patch changing on the GT-8 is instant...I cannot hear any lag at all. As far as fading between clean and OD, that's something I think only the GT-8 can do (unless you have a clean patch and just bring in an OD pedal using the expression pedal). I can have two preamps set up on a given patch in the GT-8 (on clean, one high gain) and then set up what's called an assign to blend between the two of them using the expression pedal. If that's available on the XTL, I'll leave that answer up to Matt since I didn't really spend enough time with the POD to see if that was possible.
Actually the XTL has more effects (almost 100) than the GT-8 (44 I believe) and at least as many amp models included in the base unit. I think if anything, the XTL is the more versatile of the two even before you upgrade it or buy any additional amp-models. Another thing I like about the XTL is that most of it's effects are directly based upon existing stompboxes (Tubescreamer, Boss Metal-Zone, Phase 90, etc...) and have the same controls as the ones they're based on, sometimes adding a knob or two for extra versatility. Alot are very similar sonically to the ones they're based on, with some of them sounding even better IMO. Just last week I A/B'ed the Phase 90 sim against a real Phase 90 pedal, and I actually preferred the Line 6 version. It could get the same sounds as the real pedal and more, as that was one of the ones they added extra controls to. The GT-8's effects are cool and sound great, but they aren't anywhere near as painstakingly detailed and similar to existing pedals as the Line 6 stuff (although in fairness to the Boss engineers, they aren't trying to be).

In regards to the variety of effects and amp & cab models, I think the XTL has the edge over the GT-8, although it's not exactly lacking in versatility either. Both units are a little stronger in some areas than others. The way I see it, the GT-8 has a clear edge in:

-- Routing capabilities. The GT-8 blows everyone out of the water in this department. The way it's designed, nearly any effect can be placed nearly anywhere in the signal chain, which can change the sound alot. The XTL lets you place most things either pre or post amp model, and the order of the effects can't be changed beyond that. The GT-8 also has a built-in effects-loop, something the XTL doesn't have (altough you can still use other FX and stompboxes with it).

-- Dual amp models. The XTL simply doesn't have them, whereas the GT-8 can switch between them (or even blend them) using a footswitch or even just picking dynamics. Again, this wasn't a feature that mattered much to me but still is a cool idea just the same.

-- Amount of simultaneous effects. The GT-8 can have 13 engaged at once, the XTL only 8. This is pretty much the only thing I don't like about the XTL.

The XTL has the edge in:

-- Expandability and online user community, as discussed in previous posts.

-- Variety of effects (almost 100, as opposed to 44) and similarity of effects and amp models to the actual effects and amps.

-- Amount of sounds available per patch. Both units have 4 patches available via footswitch without banking up, but the XTL also has stompbox pedals that can add more sounds: amp, stomp, mod and delay. This was a big selling point for me, as I'm mainly using my XTL for live performance situations with my band. Those pedals work just like having real stompboxes, so you can add distortion, overdrive, delay, phaser, etc... without actually changing to a different patch.

In regards to sound quality of the effects and amp models, I think it's just a matter or personal preference. I found the effects sound-quality to be about even (maybe a TINY, minute bit better on the GT-8) and liked the Line 6 amp models a little better, but that's just me. It's kind of what you'd expect, as Boss made their name in effects and Line 6 made their's in amp-modeling. In every other way I think they're even. With both you can program nearly any kind of change in the sound you can imagine into a patch (engage or disengage effects and amp models, change their parameters, change the EQ settings, volume level, etc...) and with both, the smoothness of changing patches is great, with no delay to speak of at all. If anyone has some kind of gap in the sound changing from patch to patch on an XTL then I can only assume they have a defective unit. Both are well-built also, and should hold up to stage use and abuse pretty well. It's pretty amazing, I used to have a GT-3, and one time a guy spilled an entire beer on it while it was plugged in and turned on. I thought I was hosed but I never had a problem with it. I've pretty well beat the hell out of my XTL for the past 18 months or so too and never a problem.

BTW, I'm amazed this thread has gone on so long without some knucklehead going "multi's suk ass, buy real pedals". That statement used to be true but the GT-8 and XTL can sound awesome providing they're used with the right amp and providing they're set correctly (which does take some time to learn but is well worth it).
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 20, 2007,
Quote by DagMX

Also(probably a long shot), but can you set the pedal to fade between clean and distortion(as in toe down would be distorted, while toe up would be clean)?

Not on the XTL but I think that can be done using the dual amp-model feature on the GT-8, using picking dynamics as I remember. I'm not sure if it can be done with the expression pedal or not. Any GT-8 owners know for sure?
thanks a lot guys for your opinions. I think I'll go for the XTL since my dads friend was showing his off the other night and I liked it quite a bit.. If i can't get my hands on the XTL, I'll deffinitely ask for the GT-8 instead.

Again, thanks a lot for your opinions and advice

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
fatgraymatt - Actually the XTL has more effects (almost 100) than the GT-8 (44 I believe) and at least as many amp models included in the base unit. I think if anything, the XTL is the more versatile of the two even before you upgrade it or buy any additional amp-models.

The POD doesn't really have more effects, it's just that Line6 decided to name more. Most of the effects fall within a greater category, which the GT-8 covers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fatgraymatt - Another thing I like about the XTL is that most of it's effects are directly based upon existing stompboxes (Tubescreamer, Boss Metal-Zone, Phase 90, etc...) and have the same controls as the ones they're based on, sometimes adding a knob or two for extra versatility. Alot are very similar sonically to the ones they're based on, with some of them sounding even better IMO.

Also, the GT-8 has it's selection of named effects as presets within each effect group (such as the dyna comp or phase 90), but each effect is defaulted to a generic user category. Once you access the quick FX presets, it's easy to select these named effects.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fatgraymatt - The GT-8's effects are cool and sound great, but they aren't anywhere near as painstakingly detailed and similar to existing pedals as the Line 6 stuff (although in fairness to the Boss engineers, they aren't trying to be).

The quick FX models based on the actual pedals have been EQ'd to match, but it all depends on how the global EQ is set on the unit, as well as other variables such as speaker frequency range and amplifier EQ and response.

fatgraymatt - Both units have 4 patches available via footswitch without banking up, but the XTL also has stompbox pedals that can add more sounds: amp, stomp, mod and delay. This was a big selling point for me, as I'm mainly using my XTL for live performance situations with my band. Those pedals work just like having real stompboxes, so you can add distortion, overdrive, delay, phaser, etc... without actually changing to a different patch.

Actually, the boss might just have an edge in this department. The GT-8 offers 2 "amp channels" per patch. Each channel within the patch can have 2 different preamps and entirely different sets of effects if you set up the assigns (variables that are bases on a given parameter, such as amp channel). So, if you really take advantage of the GT-8's firepower, you'll end up with 8 patches per bank, just layered in 2 "rows" (the first press of the patch pedal will always access the same patch, which will be either channel 1 or channel 2 depending on how you have the patch saved). Also, you can designate a footswitch or action to trigger manual mode, which turns each footswitch into a trigger for an individual effect. It's quite easy to set up and use. I also use an FS-6 dual footswitch with the unit, which grants even more flexibility to how you turn effects on and off.

fatgraymatt - In regards to sound quality of the effects and amp models, I think it's just a matter or personal preference. I found the effects sound-quality to be about even (maybe a TINY, minute bit better on the GT-8) and liked the Line 6 amp models a little better, but that's just me. It's kind of what you'd expect, as Boss made their name in effects and Line 6 made their's in amp-modeling.

It is easier to get amp tones out of the POD than it is the GT-8, but once you learn to use the GT-8, it comes pretty easy. I would have easily given the POD the win in this category had I not learned to use the GT-8, which I now feel is superior to the POD in this category. I'd probably judge it a tie if I had as much time with the POD.

Also, a few other things. Picking dynamics can apply to anything, not just amp models or channels. You can use picking dynamics to change the depth of a phaser, or the gain on an overdrive. You can even assign picking dynamics to multiple parameters per patch. It really has no limit, and you can do some pretty sick things with this feature.

The FX loop on the GT-8 has so many uses. I've used it to route outboard effects, use the GT-8 as a 3 way splitter to run 3 amps, and I can hook it up to my amp using what's called the 4 cable method to run my tube amps preamp as another effect in the GT-8.

Blending amp models enables you to create new sounds. You can even build new amp models based on the models in the unit. My SRV patch uses a custom built Vibroverb model combined with a Marshall JCM 800 model and it sounds incredible. I split each amp in a stereo field using a pair of active monitors and I was blown away.

I'll give it to Matt that the POD, due to it's namesake and popularity, has a larger support community, but I wouldn't count out the guys over at bossgtcentral.com and especially kewlpack at thestompbox.net. Both of those communities have helped me out when I didn't want to read the manual and I just wanted to throw the GT-8 away.

And finally, I'll agree both units are sturdy, professional pieces of equipment. I can stand on my GT-8 with no problems, which I have a bad habit of doing. For some reason I always find myself standing on an expression, wah or volume pedal at some point in a set.

Hats off to Matt for backing up his choice as well as he did. I don't really think there is a superior choice between these two, it comes down to preference and what you like. I just wanted to defend my territory a bit and clear up some things...many don't think the GT-8 can do as much as it actually can, but when you dig, you find all of these features that they just don't spell out for you in the manual. To me, the GT-8 is the ultimate toybox for a guitarist, especially one that has played many great amps but just doesn't have the money to buy them all.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of some of the GT-8's features that you mentioned but I only owned the unit for about a week. I did spend quite a bit of time with it but, really with both it and the XTL you could spend 100 hours and still barely scratch the surface of all the options there are. I wish Boss had more info about the unit on their website. It describes the basics of what the unit can do but doesn't list all the effects and amp-models the way the Line 6 site does.

Multi's still get a bad rap but these latest units can do some amazing things once you dig in and really learn how to program them. Back when I was just getting into guitar I never would have imagined that people would someday be able to get a unit with this many capabilities for 400 bucks. As cool as they are, I still wouldn't be happy running one straight into a P.A. but I happened to luck into an amp awhile back that seems to be tailor-made for warming up a modeler. I run my XTL through an old, rebuilt Ampeg VT-22 which makes almost every amp-sim come to life.

Twostring-- that pedalboard you made looks awesome. Can you give me a ballpark estimate of what it would cost to have you custom-build me something similar? Also, do you mainly run your GT-8 into your Hot Rod Deluxe? I bet that sounds great, it's been my experience that modelers really benefit from being run into a powerful, clean tube amp. What kind of guitars are you using?
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 21, 2007,
That pedalboard didn't come cheap I'm afraid. The cost of materials is listed on my pedalboard build thread. I'd have to estimate the cost of building one for someone else would probably be around $300 given labor and such. I'm not at the level where I can start turning them out like and assembly line or anything, they're all pretty much hand made with high quality components.

I've had a lot of success with keyboard amps, specifically the roland kc 150 and kc 350 and the behringer kx1200. I've heard some pretty good things about the alesis sumos as well. I was thinking about picking up a kx 1200 just because the price had come down so far on them (they were going for around $120 around here). But problems with my hot rod deluxe and other gear forced me to take another look at things, and I ended up deciding to get a mesa roadster. I'm still waiting for the roadster to come in.

As far as the gear I'm using, I'm at a transition point. I've sold off a lot of gear in the past couple of months, and the only electric I'm left with right now is my modded 63 strat reissue. I'll probably never get rid of that guitar, but it does need more work. Next guitar will most likely be a custom built warmoth EB/MM axis carved top guitar with dimarzio paf pro and air norton pickups with a hipshot ball bearing trem, with a custom tele not too far behind.

I only run the GT-8 directly into the FX return of the hot rod...that's given me the best results so far. I have a ground loop problem when I run the 4 cable method and I'm just to lazy to troubleshoot it (I tend to get lazy with my setup since I don't get paid to troubleshoot my own rig...for others that ask me to take a look at their setup, I take it pretty seriously).

I'm still torn about what direction I want to take my roadster rig in. You can see my thread here - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507734.
I may contact you in the future about making me a pedalboard like yours, when my financial situation brightens a bit. I have one now that fits my XTL and Crybaby perfectly (I keep my Sonic Stomp on top of my amp) but I got a Whammy pedal for Christmas so I need something a little bigger now.

You should post some pics and a review when the Roadster comes in. I haven't tried one but read a review of it in GW a few months back that made it sound really cool. That's the one with the capability of switching out different types of power tubes, right? I'm not really in the market for an amp, as I'm pretty much deeply in love with my Ampeg, but the review I read (if I'm thinking of the right amp) piqued my interest just the same. BTW, my Jem has PAF Pro's and they're outstanding.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 22, 2007,
I'm looking to get a table saw sometime soon, so buiding these cases should be easier and more cost effective then. I might make a matching case for the Roadster head. I'm also getting a whammy pedal sometime soon...gotta love spending money and the job that provides it! I'll be sure to post a revew for the Roadster whenever I get it in...as well as a tutorial on how to MIDI the beast up if I choose to go that route. I've already figured out most of the difficult stuff (like what's going to switch what)...but I still haven't got an answer on one of my questions. I'll probably end up having to contact mesa about it.

So after all the other stuff levels out, I might go ahead and build a guitar from warmoth parts. So far, I'm leaning towards an EB/MM axis style body with the EB/MM neck, hipshot tremolo and dimarzio pickups. I'd rather spend money on a guitar that's going to have everything I want on it than an off the shelf unit that I'll have to modify to have the features I want. Here's to money and time!
Quote by TwoString
I can stand on my GT-8 with no problems, which I have a bad habit of doing. For some reason I always find myself standing on an expression, wah or volume pedal at some point in a set.

haha i do the same thing with mine.

i worked at guitar center for 6 months in the accessories deptartment so i got to spend a lot of time hashing the differences between the boards out myself. i actually got good enough at selling them that i won a gt8 from a sales incentive contest in october (about a month after i bought one lol, luckily they let me basically return the one i won for the cash i paid for the first one). i got to work on the gt8 with victor wooten when he stopped in the store too.

i settled on the gt8 for a lot of the reasons twostring already listed. stereo amps, routing, controlling effects with input volume/internal oscillators.

the pod's extra row of pedals is nice but it sacrifices live tweaking in order to have those. it's really difficult to work with the pod unless you have it plugged into your computer. the gt8 has a manual mode that changes the footswitches from patch switches to effect/amp/od on/off switches. i found that setting the ctl pedal to manual on/off allows you to get the best of both worlds.

one thing i though was sweet about the pod was the fact that one of the model packs you can buy is all the stuff from the BASS pod xt. not super useful but cool nonetheless.

all in all i think the gt8 has better tone and better functionality. it's not easier to figure out by any means but if you're willing to commit some time to it the returns are well worth it.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Quote by fatgraymatt
Not on the XTL but I think that can be done using the dual amp-model feature on the GT-8, using picking dynamics as I remember. I'm not sure if it can be done with the expression pedal or not. Any GT-8 owners know for sure?

On the XTL, you can set the expression pedal to control the gain amount, either on the amp model or the stomp box, which would pretty much have that effect. Not all amps sound great with full/no gain but it works in a live situation anyway :p