I play the guitar and occaisionally my friends bass, I'm thinking about buying one but don't want a crummy starter pack. Maybe something decent 200-400 dollar rage
You have to know what type of sound you are looking for. You have to also know what amp you are going to use. If you use a cheap amp, you will get a cheap sound regardless of the Bass. The basics are the standard "P" style or "J" style basses. An Ibanez GSR-200 is an inexpensive bass. Playability is another factor. Getting it set-up will make a world of a difference. It really depends on the style. This is just my suggestion.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Last edited by Ljk825 at Jan 17, 2007,
If you bump your price range up $25, you could get a Fender Standard P-Bass.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Cort, they're probably Schecters closest rivals and IMO are a nicer all round instrument
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Warwic RockBass

Jsut so you know, this is the Bass Hierarchy or me

Gibson>Ibanez>Fender>Warwick

And lemme put it this way, The Warwick RockBass series is what to Warwick what Squire is to Fender.

But again, THIS IS MY OPINION IF YOU DISAGREE THEN THAT IS YOUR SAY BUT IF YOU FLAME ME FOR IT YOU BECOME THE IDIOT YOU THINK I AM.
Quote by Double Basser
Cort, they're probably Schecters closest rivals and IMO are a nicer all round instrument

Cort FTW.

tbh, the Artisan series are very much like schecters. but without the good finishes except walnut satin...
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.