i thought of getting some, since my vision has become pretty shit. i havent worn glasses much before, nor contacts. since i look a little bit demented with glasses, i considered getting contacts, but can somene give me a rundown of the dangers and advantages and disadvantages of them?

cheers

tan
i know my vision is really crap...but does that mean not all eyes can take contacts? my mum has contacs, and she has the same eyes as me :P
i wear 'em and they're alright, but yeah you can only get with an eye test
Pros - no glasses
Cons - can ache after a while, have to learn to touch your eye, vision isn't quite as good as with glasses
Possible problems - if you're unlucky (like i was) you could have a reaction to the saline solution which results in one or two days of conjuctivitus

Overall its a mixed bag but i wear 'em mainly for school and gigs etc...cos after breaking my glasses at a foo fighters gig i decided i needed some way of actually being able to see the gig next time :P

EDIT: Also if you have an astigmatism(sp?) (thats where your lense of your actual eye is a weird shape) then it costs a bit more (thats another point if you're on monthlies like i am then it costs £15 a month rather than a one time payment of however much it is (my last pair were £150) for new glasses) but yeah your optician will take you through it all
Last edited by Burpbelly at Jan 17, 2007,
How many fingers do you see?

But seriously. I don't need glasses, but almost all my friends do. Contacts work, but some people find them uncomfortable. The only dangers are if you drop them, you can't find them cos 1) they're really small and transparent and 2) you can't see shit.

If they work for yo momma, they should work for you
Quote by Burpbelly
i wear 'em and they're alright, but yeah you can only get with an eye test
Pros - no glasses
Cons - can ache after a while, have to learn to touch your eye, vision isn't quite as good as with glasses
Possible problems - if you're unlucky (like i was) you could have a reaction to the saline solution which results in one or two days of conjuctivitus

Overall its a mixed bag but i wear 'em mainly for school and gigs etc...cos after breaking my glasses at a foo fighters gig i decided i needed some way of actually being able to see the gig next time :P

whats the eye test like? like reading stuff from far away?
I have an astigmatism and I just recently started wearing contacts. I love them compared to glasses. The only complaints I have is that I can't wear them in too long of intervals. If I do then my eyes start to dry up. No biggie tho. I reccomend you give them a try for a couple weeks, if you don't like them.... Just wear glasses.
Just be careful not to jab yourself really hard in the eye. F*ckin hurts...
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
the eye test is just a normal eye test like you should have every year at the opticians every year or so, and then your optician advises you on what to do

EDIT: just read that its not very clear really is it? its just like a normal thing where they will put different lenses in front of your eye and say "better or worse?" while you read all those muddled and little letters
I got them as well....people go on about how they hurt your eyes after a while, but they really dont for me....suppose it depends who you are. And you'll get warned about infections and stuff, but if your careful your eyes shouldnt get infected....its just the opticians way of covering their backs. They're much better than glasses let me tell you
Rocks about the music, not those who disguise it!!!

Equpiment:
Dean Razorback Explosion
Fender Showmaster
Marshall Stack
Marshall Bluesbreaker FX Pedal
Go to the nearest opticians. They'll give you an eye test and probably soime advice on contacts. You can get them from the opticians too.

I hate them. I can't get them in my fricking eye! Meh, I wish I could wear them...
It's a big machine, all you do is look through it and try to read things. If you can't read they switch lenses, this goes on untill you can see perfectly and let the doctor know. The lenses in the machine are now your perscripted lenses for glasses/contacts.
Quote by zwound
i thought of getting some, since my vision has become pretty shit. i havent worn glasses much before, nor contacts. since i look a little bit demented with glasses, i considered getting contacts, but can somene give me a rundown of the dangers and advantages and disadvantages of them?

cheers

tan

I wear lenses most of the time.

Number one, get an eye test - for measurements of your eyes and vision.

Number two, your optician will recommend the right lenses for you. No need to worry about picking the right kind.

Number three, they are easy to take care of. You need to clean them every time you use them, and they are second nature to put in once you have pratice. Takes me about two seconds to pop one lens in.

Number four, they are comfortable, RARELY get lost in your eyes. In fact its damn near impossible almost, not unless you move it around deliberately. The lens fits to your eye in a way its hard for it to move out of place.

Number five, they're fun. Freak out your friends by moving a lens in your eye and let go...its slides back into place. Kinda freaky to watch but fun.

Good luck! You won't go wrong with em!
-- UG's One and Only Chocolate Chip Cookie --

All the bands come out to see all the other bands. We're all friends, so there's really no need for competition. Everyone has their own sound and their own style.
-- Layne Staley

Quote by TheShadow

I hate them. I can't get them in my fricking eye! Meh, I wish I could wear them...

I had that in the beginning, after a week it went just fine. they hardly ever bother me now.
'Member #3 FZ fanclub'
[IMG]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/mevi.jpg[/IMG]
I used to have contact lenses, but I prefer glasses. The first kind I got they would itch me after an hour, found out I had eyes that dry quickly so they gave me another kind made for dry eyes, but still they itched me after like 4-5 hours of wearing them, couldn't go through a whole day with them or my eyes would be blood red and really itchy so I said **** em and got a sweet pair of Oakleys.
I've been wearing contacts for a while now. I have to get the Toric lenses (for astigmatism... sp?). They are a bit expensive, but I prefer them over my glasses.

It takes a while to get used to them, but once you do, you don't even notice them. Make sure you talk to the Dr if you have problems with the brand he gives you. I tried three different brands before finding what I wear now (Proclear).

The good thing is that they are starting to make toric lenses with a higher water content (Like those Acuvue HydraClear). The higher the water content, the more comfortable they'll be.

Yes, they do dry out after wearing them for long periods of time, but it's usually really late and I'm about ready to take them out for the night when they do.

The only thing that sucks about having toric lenses is that, since they are weighted (to account for the shape of your eye), they need to move and re-position themselves where they should be. when they start drying out, they don't do this as well, so your vision does suffer a bit. Small price to pay in my opinion.

A few reasons I like contacts...

I can wear regular sunglasses when driving.
I don't have to worry about cleaning the lenses of my glasses all the time
Appearence
I can lay down on the couch to watch tv without my glasses getting bent or screwed up

A few reasons I don't like contacts...

Cost, between the solution and the contacts themselves, it's more expensive (depending on what kind of glasses you're wearing)
Vision - glasses stay stationary while the contacts need to move so your vision can vary
Extra time spent getting ready for bed/work. It's not much, but it takes a bit of time to get them in and out.

Hope that helps
Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Ibanez S-470 with Seymour Duncans
Ibanez RG-321
Schecter Damien 6
Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry

Amps:
Kustom 12 Gauge
I slept with my contact lenses in and glued my eyes together. Thank God for this braille keyboard....
Zeppelinism Extremist, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

...and the victim screameth, saying "Hast thou not heard of elastoplast?!"
Quote by Daitrying
I slept with my contact lenses in and glued my eyes together. Thank God for this braille keyboard....

oh god! You must be joking...

... you are joking right?
PSN: Noverion
Yes, he's joking. If he were blind, how would he know what we were saying?

Please be joking....
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!