why does EVERYBODY have a tube amp ??
i really don't get it, you need to replace the tubes every year, what costs a lot of money if you want decent tubes, a tube amp itself costs more than any other sort of amp,
the enery use is very high, every time you stop playing you need to wait till the tubes are cooled off to transport it. and that all for what ? a little bit better sounding amp than a SS amp... with SS amps you don't need to replace the tubes every year, they are less fragile, and don't have such a high enery use.
SO PLEASE TELL ME WHY EVERYONE HAS A TUBE AMP ??
Last edited by fender&gibson at Jan 17, 2007,
Solid State amps can break down easier. I'd rather pay a load of money for a good Marshall valve amp than pay a few hundred less for a decent solid state. Valve amps are generally louder than a SS, and it's worth replacing the tubes to have a better sound.

And you can get a better antural overdrive form the amp.
Last edited by AdamDK at Jan 17, 2007,
Ok, for starters, they are not 'a little better sounding'. That, my friend is an insult. The absoloutley blow the mind out of any SS amp, i cant believe you have honestly started this thread, oh your in for some abuse boy!!!!!! Honestly if you have ever heard a cranked valve amp, you will take this thread back so quik.........
they are louder, more netrual sounding, more sweet sounding, more everything sounding!!!!!!!!!!! OMG they rule, you will raly have to play one to understand my friend, and then believe.
Im sorry, but you are a million miles from right.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

they sound way f u c k i n g better.
Quote by cheames
neither is great. The Fender is bad though, unlike the Behringer which sounds so bad that it makes you want to stab out your own eardrums with a blunt pencil . hope that was helpful.

Guitar
Expert
Tube amps produce more audible frequencies that's why they sound so much better.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Just don't compare a Ferrari to a volkswagen

Just Don't

and absolutely don't match a Ferrari to a Volkswagen in red with a Ferrari bodykit("the good sounding solid state heads"..ahum)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by AdamDK
Solid State amps can break down easier.

That's bullshit. Tube amps are way more delicate and fragile because of...you guessed it...tubes! SS amps are durable as hell, besides the cheap shitty ones (which makes up 95% of all SS amps).
I wouldn't say my amp is by any means "delicate" or "fragile." Solid states, however, are harder to break. Also, solid states have consistent sound, whereas some tube amps (especially older ones) can change their tonal characteristics as the tubes warm up. However, tube amps sound much better. Also, tube amps give you more flexibility - you can change the tonal properties of the amp by going with different tubes or a different tube manufacturer. A solid state amp is what it is. Also, if anything goes wrong with a tube amp, it's probably the tubes. If anything goes wrong with a solid state amp, you're probably screwed.
Hi, I'm Peter
yeah gennerally SS amps (decently made ones) are a lot more robust and reliable, however tubes usually sound a lot better, i dont like to generalise though because there are really shitty bad sounding tube amps (like the peavey valveking and a few other things.) that can easilly be beaten by a decent solid dtate amp. but gennerally tube amps are in a whole other leauge in terms of sound quality and tone.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Dirk Gently
I wouldn't say my amp is by any means "delicate" or "fragile." Solid states, however, are harder to break.

Dropping a SS amp from 50 cm height won't do jack, but do the same thing with a tube amp, and you'll probably break it (or the tubes at least).
Also sure you haev to replace tubes. But whats the price of that? $70 or similar. Plus you only have to do it every two years. Is the hassle with tube amps worth it? Of course! Why? They jsut have something an SS never can get. Tube amps pwn. Some SS amps are great (Roland JC120) but no SS can never get the sound of tubes breaking up!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Jan 17, 2007,
my amp head has fallen from its cab before (the cab is a 6x12) and was just fine. Tubes are much more robust than youd thing, but they still do add an element of breakability that SS amps dont have.
and $50 for a full set of tubes? that would have to be some really cheap tubes, i pay more than that for a matched pair of KT-88s and thats not including preamp tubes (which i buy NOS, so they last considerably longer than new ones, but still)

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

and $50 for a full set of tubes? that would have to be some really cheap tubes, i pay more than that for a matched pair of KT-88s and thats not including preamp tubes (which i buy NOS, so they last considerably longer than new ones, but still)

A full set of tubes for my amp can cost as little as $30.
Yeah look at JJ's, theyre dirt cheap (for three 12AX7's and two EL34's).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
for a little fender champ i can see that, but still $30 will yield very sub-standard tubes.

and im not to fond of JJs really, they arent bad at all but i prefer winged c KT-88s and JAN 12ax7s from whichever manufacturer i can find cheaper, and barring that RCA 12ax7s.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 17, 2007,
Sorry but that's a stupid question. You think people would go out and spend £1000s on boutique valve amps if the tone, dynamics and feel was anything near within the cababilties of a solid state amp?

However, everyone has to start out with an SS. Otherwise you'll have no way of developing an ear for tone, and you're probably right with reliability, particurely vintage amps which tend to run on a knifes edge, but i'm sure people wouldn't go through the hastle of that if it wasn't worth it, it's the entire tone over economy thing which guitarists are pretty much famed for. But I doubt tubes need changing every year, and more modern amps are alot more sturdy.

Granted you probably haven't developed too much of an ear for tone yet. Just give it a year or so and you'll be selling your kidneys on eBay too for a Plexi or a Twin.
you dont have to start out on an SS to develop an ear for tone, im sure almost no one before the late 80s started out on a SS. and honestly i think a lot fo that "ear for tone" stuff that people throw around is bullshit that people use to put down other peoples tastes, i mean it is true to an extent that peoples tastes change and generaly tend to gravitate towards tube amps, but that is most certainly not always the case.

Last.fm
Well, non-guitar players and beginners I've spoken too generally can't tell the difference tonally between an MG and a Vox AC30.
I'm pretty sure that some development must take place.
It's the same for every instrument, i find it hard to rationalise the my friend paying £900 for a cornet as opposed to her £100 one.

Well sure I exaggerated with the "has" bit. But, it is definitely good to have some level of comparison.
well. you dont want to hassle with replacing tubes and lugging around heavy gear.

i suggest getting a moddeling amp.

not the Line 6 spider.

but for something high quality, the Line 6 Vetta.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by fender&gibson
every time you stop playing you need to wait till the tubes are cooled off.

I dunno who fed you that but they're wrong, you turn it off and walk away like any amp.
Quote by treagar
I dunno who fed you that but they're wrong, you turn it off and walk away like any amp.

i mean to transport the amp
because of the tone and the natural overdrive, i own a ss amp, and i'm kinda happy with it, i would love to have a dual rectifier but i can't afford it
you only need to replace the preamp tubes once a year- and that's only if you use them a lot or with a crazy-high-gain amp. and they're not that expensive.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Solid states sound crap when you turn it up full, unlike tube amps you get a nice warm tone
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
The line 6 vetta and ampeg vh140 are two good solid state amps.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
hmm, where to start. . . .

a good pair of tubes would cost about 100USD to replace (4 power, and 4 preamp), tube amps are much more simple than SS amps, so there is less to go wrong in a tube amp (less parts, less crap to fail)

also, i dont know where you got 1 year for tubes, i see tubes go an average of 4 to 7 years before they need replacing, and thats with 4 hours a day at 3/4 power.

yea, tube amps use more power, thats becuase the tubes need to heat up, which takes alot of energy, but your plasma TV, AC, electric stove, and heater take alot more power than a tube amp, so who really cares, you use those more than your amp.

and for moving, by the time you turn the amp off, unplug everything, and are ready to move the amp, the tubes are cooled off enough to not make a difference, tubes are somewhat similar to ligtbulbs (dont say their not, both have filaments in them) and treat them the same way, if they are uber hot, and you shake them, they will beak,but give them a minute to cool off (unplug, packing other stuff) the tubes will be fine.

so in general, the only downside to tubes are the weight factor(that i can see) and if you cant carry a tube amp, then bulk up, they arent that heavy.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
get a mg15dfx, then get a 1991 peavey 5150 with 1936 cab. Thatll answer your question. (i know its not the greatest tone amp before you all get pissed at me but you get the idea)
Quote by mr_hankey

Dropping a SS amp from 50 cm height won't do jack, but do the same thing with a tube amp, and you'll probably break it (or the tubes at least).

It depends on the amp. A high quality tube amp won't be damaged if you drop it (maybe some cosmetic damage) while a crappy solid state amp will break if you drop it.
My roadster has fallen over on it's side like 4 or 5 times (usually going to gigs). Nothing is broken.
Some players like the reliability and duribility of solid state amps, but you just CAN'T beat tube amps for their tone. Crank a tube amp and then you will see why people own tube amps.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Quote by jambi_mantra
get a mg15dfx, then get a 1991 peavey 5150 with 1936 cab. Thatll answer your question. (i know its not the greatest tone amp before you all get pissed at me but you get the idea)

when youre done with that compare a peavey valve king to a vox super beatle and see which amp wins that one

Last.fm
at the dumbass who suggested a modeling amp.

Tube amps are no weaker than solid state amps. And dropping a tube amp won't cause the tubes to break, unless the tube retainers aren't on. Tube amps are simpler too and MUCH easier to repair if anything does go wrong (from somebody who's fixed multiple amps before).
When it comes to durability, I think tube amps win.

Analog SS amps can have nice cleans, but tubes get nicer cleans and good OD.

This thread is too stupid to recognize the obvious superiority of tube amps, and so I'm closing it.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.