Okay, im doin AS level music comp. atm.

rather than the usual route of film music ive decided to do a 'pop' song.

Seeing as pop just means popular and 'indie' is pretty big atm, ive gone for that.

Sort of Arctic Monkeys meets The Cat Empire. lol.

Have a listen and gimme some feedback (good/bad) if u will : )

thankss

P.s in the 2nd verse in just copy and pasted the melody line of the 1st verse. i know it sounds wrong but its just to help understand where the verse's are. I'll edit it when i can think of a better melody line
Attachments:
Indie song.zip
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
nice little tune you got there. it does what its meants to, its a nice catchy, upbeat song. for me it works nicely, the "reggae bit" (i think thats what you called it) made for a nice break mid-song and i thought the trumpet was a good touch - it fitted in with the feel of the song. my only concern was all the muting in the chorus - it might be slightly excessive - but then again ive never liked the way it sounds on guitar pro tracks, so i cant really offer useful criticism on that part. also, the vocals will make quite an impact - they could really complete the song.

overall, good job, theres no reason you cant make that work well.

hope that helps
This definately isn't my usual style of music, but I can still tell its well written. It sound sery happy then turns kinda sad sounding, which is interesting. The melody sounds good too, but it does seem out of place in the second verse a little. The drums made me laugh because it sounds exactly like the drums from a modonna song i have to play in my schools orchestra. Overall, a pretty good song, but you probably want to get an opinion from someone who knows more about indie pop than me. crit min? probably not your style, tho. its in my sig.
Chaars. Not realy sure how im gonna fit vocals in though.

what my teacher was saying was to have the trumpet part it chorus/verse as the vocal line and then think of another trumpet part. Just some long held notes. But i need to play around with that me thinks.

And yea the muting bit is a bit over the top. Probs verging away from pop aswel, i can change it to quavers after the muted quavers.

My only other concern is that its over 4mins! thats epic for a pop song! Just that im not realy sure what i can cut out...
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
Quote by maisey ferret
what my teacher was saying was to have the trumpet part it chorus/verse as the vocal line and then think of another trumpet part. Just some long held notes. But i need to play around with that me thinks.

that would work as well, could sound rather good imo. just be sure to give the lead trumpet its fair share of the attention, if its replacing vocals i would make it a focal point of the song, and not let the guitars be the centre of attention (although im no expert, i havent exactly got any hit records to my name). that said i dont mean go nuts with the volume. just keep messing around with it and experimenting till youre happy with it, i like it and as i said i think you could do well there.

as for length, it is a little on the long side for pop, but i wouldnt see it as a huge issue, it really depends what your teacher thinks - i havent done music so im not sure exactly how these things work. if all else fails, are there any verses/choruses that play through twice? maybe you could have one that just does it the once? or possibly shorten the reggae bit, if you really have to you might be able to squeeze out a few bars, although im not sure how much that would shorten the song, it might not be worth it.

best of luck