I don't know if this is the right forum to post in but...

I've been playing for about 2 and a half years. I just finished up Dread and the Fugitive Mind but I feel like I'm playing below my level. I tried Silent Night, Bodom Night but I need to work on sweeping first so yeah... I was thinking Nile but it's downtuned and I have a Floyd Rose tremolo so it's a pain to downtune. I tried some Yngwie and Vai but you can't really play that in a band... Does anyone have any ideas for some songs for someone around my level?
Rhapsody - Unholy Warcry

*dies*

In all seriousness if you wanna learn some sweeps you'll really have do do some excercises first, Mark Seal does a great lesson vid on this site for sweep picking.

After you've gotten competent with it try the solo to Deicide - Scars of The Crucifix, it has some pretty big arpeggios but they're played quite slowly (relatively speaking) so it isn't too hard, and its in Eb so you don't reall have to worry about downtuning. After that you could try some Nevermore, any song that takes your fancy really because they'll all have sweeps in them haha (I Voyager isn't too hard and you don't have to tune down either)

*overlooks the fact this is in the wrong forum lol*
I'll check those out.

But the wrong forum?

AHH! Where do I post these things? I tried electric guitar, then here. Is it the tab talk (or whatever it's called) section?

Oh well. *sigh*
Man, WTF if you cant play vai or Yngwie, it helps you get better really quick, trust me I started to play some Vai about 6 months and right now whenever I play anything that isn't that it seems so easy, like ac/dc, guns n' roses and all that shit, even van halen, it makes you go pro really fast!
My Gear:
  • Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan (SRV) Signature guitar
  • Ibanez Jem 7VWH
  • Ibanez JS1000BP (Satch signature)
  • Marhsall TSL 122 Combo amp
  • T.C. Electronic G-System
  • Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
  • Ibanez Tube Screamer T-808
I know. That's my problem. Everything seems easy because I can play vai and yngwie. I can't find challenges anymore. Unless it's sweeping but besides not being very good at it i don't like it.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I know. That's my problem. Everything seems easy because I can play vai and yngwie. I can't find challenges anymore. Unless it's sweeping but besides not being very good at it i don't like it.

You can play vai and yngwie and you can't sweep... o.O So you can play songs that involve sweeping, and you can carefully execute something like the For the Love of God solo without any challenges along the way, but ya can't sweep...just seems strange to me. If you want challenges, try Necrophagist, a good way to start sweeping. Also, a good beginniner shred song even though it's not metal, but you like Steve Vai, so I think Eugenes Trick Bag would do.
I've found Jesus
John Petrucci: Best way to get good at sweeping. The one that helped me the most was Glasgow Kiss. Just one thing, you may be able to do it normally but don't, use the sweeping!
My Gear:
  • Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan (SRV) Signature guitar
  • Ibanez Jem 7VWH
  • Ibanez JS1000BP (Satch signature)
  • Marhsall TSL 122 Combo amp
  • T.C. Electronic G-System
  • Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
  • Ibanez Tube Screamer T-808
When I said I could play vai and yngwie i meant not the sweep parts. I'm not bad at the sweeps, but im not great either. I only tried two songs anyway which are Far Beyond the Sun and The Audience is Listening (that's the one I couldn't do) and for the Love of God. Oh that's three. I got a lot to check out now. Thanks guys.
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Mark Seal does a great lesson vid on this site for sweep picking.

wheres that?
My sig is better than yours
Michael Angelo Batio - Try his Speed Kills instructional video, it has some great sweeping stuff.
Leader of The Mighty Powermetal Brethren. PM me to join.

ALL HAIL DYSTOPIA!!!

Angry Mob
^^ that is a really good vid I think that it should be stickyed in guitar basics or somewhere
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
DAMN! that Luca Turilli song looks damn intense! *prepares to work hard*
JOHN has his HANonmyCOCK
Yeah, sweeping is....well......really hard. -_- It's basically the only thing I can't do that well. I'm trying to learn "Velva, Together We Await The Storm" by The Human Abstract right now, and I can barely even do the sweeping at the intro. Bah!

If I was not cursed with a 28.8 Kbps Modem, I would surely check out that video that was uploaded...
Quote by Bottled Ink Co.
Yeah, sweeping is....well......really hard. -_- It's basically the only thing I can't do that well. I'm trying to learn "Velva, Together We Await The Storm" by The Human Abstract right now, and I can barely even do the sweeping at the intro. Bah!

If I was not cursed with a 28.8 Kbps Modem, I would surely check out that video that was uploaded...

I don't know about all of you, but picking at 15 + nps accurately is a lot harder than a sweep.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
I don't know about all of you, but picking at 15 + nps accurately is a lot harder than a sweep.

Oh.

So it's not a sweep. Err...

I suspected as much, but I associate anything in an arpeggio shape as being a "sweep" for some odd reason. Nvm.
i think the bit in martyr's prototype is good for learning sweep picking
My sig is better than yours
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I'll check those out.

But the wrong forum?

AHH! Where do I post these things? I tried electric guitar, then here. Is it the tab talk (or whatever it's called) section?

Oh well. *sigh*

I know we're overlooking this now, but this would go in Musician Talk.

Just thought you guys might want to know for future reference.
vital remains- dechristianize has slow sweeps
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]