So what would be the best amp for good metal and rock sound?
I'd like to get a cool 'BAM in your face' metal distortion tone, like Metallica's Master of Puppets or Slayers Reign in Blood. But also get a cool 60's Jimi Hendrix sound.
And like that isn't enough... a nafty bluesy distortion sound like in Slash' solo's would be quite nice too.

Oh and a decent warm clean sound is never unwanted...

Because these preferances difference so much from eachother, I guess a distortion or fuzz pedal or something would be necessary? Or is there such thing as this super amp?

Now, I am just wondering what amp would suit me (as you can see). Price is no factor yet because I'm just wondering where I could save my money for .

i think a JCM 800 would be good, its got a decent classic marshall sound like what hendrix had, and a lot of thrash bands used them, but id go for one of the early 80s models.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Kid_Thorazine x2 A JCM800 would be pretty well suited to you. It is incredibly loud, and could really do with a decent OD to kick it into mid-gain early 80's thrash territory. The earlier models are better than the re-issue's, and some prefer the single channel version.

EDIT: Metallica used JCM800's on RTL, KEA and i think No Life 'Til Leather. Countless metal bands use/used them including Slayer.
Last edited by codybcool at Jan 17, 2007,
Yeah I believe Metallica used Marhall JCM's somewhere on an album.. hmm allright Thanks. Anymore suggestions?
well, i use a JCM 900, and can great cleans, great hendrix tones and great metallica-like tones, all IMO of course, but i'd deffinately reccomend it - but you will need a boost for metal, i use a tubescreamer and i'd reccomend that to - the TS-9 is basicly the industry standard though look at the maxon OD-9
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

JCM800, as mentioned Metallica and Slayer used them and it'll get you some good Hendrix tone too. I use a cheap OD pedal with mine and it does Metallica well.
Allright great! If I get the chance I'll deffinatly try them out at the music store, though it's waaaaay out of my budget .
Try the Peavey Windsor as well, I hear good things, plus they're cheap.
well the older 80s model jcm 800s would be perfet but they usually go for a lot. But if you look around I"m sure you could find a good jcm800 on ebay for about 700 or less
Either get a single channel JCM800 and crank it+OD, or a dual channel one.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I like the Line 6 amps. Metallica has used those and you can find the exact settings for MOP and enter sandman and such
The new Marshall JVM - looks amazing and versatile. And Gibson_Rocker13 you have the same avatar as me!!!
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
^ have you played or even heard a JVM? Sure it might be perfect but how can you recommend it? The MG's "look amazing and versatile" too but that hardly makes them a good amp.
Quote by Cizzie
Allright great! If I get the chance I'll deffinatly try them out at the music store, though it's waaaaay out of my budget .

Look for a used one on www.marktplaats.nl, that's where I buy (and sell) a lot of my gear.
engl blackmore!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cizzie and I would be great friends.Metallica owns. Cizzie pwns.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Quote by AngelOfSorrow
Cizzie and I would be great friends.Metallica owns. Cizzie pwns.

Now what did I do to deserve that?